Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got everything for my build today, components in the sig. (i only have 1 captor, the other hasn't gotten here yet.) Put everything in the case, turned it on, fans come on, hear the hd's spin up, gfx cards too... And runs for about 7-8 seconds before it shuts off. No BIOS, no beep, no display on screen nothing. I have tried only 1 video card, the card I had before that was working, one stick of RAM, no RAM (when doing this I get the memory error beeping, so I know the know isn't dead), with 1 hd, I cleared the CMOS jumpers, removed the MB battery... I have done everything I can think of to fix it and nothing is working. I have a feeling its the 2600k, it was a bit unstable when I first had it, but I wasn't sure if that was the MB (dual BIOS so I don't think its he MB) or the processor. I can take it back to the store tonight and exchange it for a new one. Anything else I should try before to do that? I know it turns on and runs so I don't thin its he processor, just had a long day and my brain is fried right now.

If the spelling bad its cause I'm doing this from my phone
frown.gif

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately no, I don't think its because that was working fine today before I put all the new stuff in.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Do you have another PSU that you can try? I had a similar problem before when my PSU didn't have sufficient amperage on the 12V rail that the motherboard connection was on. Everything would power on for a few seconds and then shut down.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This looks to me to be either a processor or motherboard issue.
I had the same when upgrading a computer for my dad and turned out to be the motherboard, I forget the reason atm.
Although, it could just be a power supply issue, PSU's are just like :/ sometimes, so I would try another PSU to make sure and if possible to use another motherboard with as many components as possible.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had everything but the gfx cards, everything else was running. I get he cards today, put them in, notjing. I take them out, try the 8400gs I bought yesterday because I need my pc and the cards ddidn't come yesterday, and still nothing. That's why I don't believe its the power supply.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was hoping for the processor, because I can go to he tore I bought it from which is 20 minutes away and exchange it. But if its anything else I have to ship it back to newegg or wherever I got it from online.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
If it's easy to rule out the CPU then go ahead and switch it out for a new one. It's almost impossible to get two lemons in a row.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villosa;13027004
If it's easy to rule out the CPU then go ahead and switch it out for a new one. It's almost impossible to get two lemons in a row.
especially the CPU which probably has the least amount of lemons of all the components. Im willing to bet its the mobo as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was the only thing I did different today. I took the CPU out, cleaned it appropriately and used the Eric silver 5 I got today finally, vertical line method, cleaned the heatsink also. Maybe in cleaning the processor I accidentally got it on there and messed it up??? I'm very careful when doing these things...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the same thing, I have tried it with no memory, and upon turning it on then I get the "beep beep beep" and then it shuts off, if the MB was bad it shouldn't still give me those beeps correct?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
make sure you have both CPU power connectors plugged into the board, not just the 24 pin.

If you can get into BIOS turn internal PLL overvolt off.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel its the MB too, just because that's my luck. But I'm going to the store in about an hour, need to let rush hour traffic die down here in jersey, i'll get a new CPU and report back, hopefully that's the problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do, can't even get into BIOS, I get no display no beeps nothing, but everything turns on and spins up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry, dont have the time to check my self, but im assuming that psu has an 8pin cpu connector and not a 4 pin?
I had this problem when i had built my sig rig with the 2600k, turns out i had the 4 pin cpu connector on the wrong side :S

1 - 20 of 24 Posts