Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I am nowhere near to overclocking in general or quad cores (been overclocking since the Q6600). I don't say this to brag but merely to demonstrate I know the drill: every CPU is different, requires different voltages, some OC higher than others, etc etc.

With that being said, I know the vCore is much more important to Ivy Bridge chips and most cpu's for that matter, but my question is this: What is a good starting point for the cpu i/o voltage and what is the max safe voltage for the cpu i/o voltage setting? Or do you guys leave your cpu i/o voltage setting at AUTO (probably unlikely but doesn't hurt to ask)?

As a point of reference I am currently running 4.5Ghz with 1.225 vCore and CPU I/O Voltage at 1.19 seemingly stable with a Corsair H80 and 2 Gentle Typhoons AP-30's 4250RPM idle temps are 23-31 celcius & load temps are 45-60 celcius.

Also should I disable EIST (speed step) and overspeed protection? Do these effect stability at all? I currently have them enabled but notice my core speed is always locked at 4.5Ghz anyway so I might as well disable these two settings?

Thank you all very much in advance for your input it's good to be back haven't posted in some time
smile.gif

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I usually go 1.125 or somewhere around there. But it really depends on the ram your using, clock speed and numerous other factors. Sometimes VCCIO can help tremendously or do nothing at all.

My current setup is at 1.128 (Daily Beater system) with a 4.8Ghz 2500K / 2133 ram @ 10-12-12-28 CR1 just for an example.

I would leave EIST enabled. It doesn't hurt anything, and you'll save power / heat as well. Check your windows power settings. That could be what's causing it to lock at full speed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnt View Post

I usually go 1.125 or somewhere around there. But it really depends on the ram your using, clock speed and numerous other factors. Sometimes VCCIO can help tremendously or do nothing at all.

My current setup is at 1.128 (Daily Beater system) with a 4.8Ghz 2500K / 2133 ram @ 10-12-12-28 CR1 just for an example.

I would leave EIST enabled. It doesn't hurt anything, and you'll save power / heat as well. Check your windows power settings. That could be what's causing it to lock at full speed.
Thanks for the reply.

Windows power settings in Windows itself is what you are talking about?

You're saying you use 1.125 I/O voltage NOT Vcore right? (just to be sure) If so that's a lot less I/O voltage than I use and your overclock is pretty high @ 4.8Ghz with a 2500K. Interesting....

Also I'm running the XSM3 RAM at 1866Mhz @ 9-10-9-27, but with that being said XMP mode sets it 2000Mhz but I've never had luck getting it stable with 10-10-10-29 and this RAM is supposed to be able to hit 2000Mhz no problem tbh. Maybe the middle timings are too tight and more important than I'm realizing? maybe try loosening to 11-12-12-30?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingklick92 View Post

Thanks for the reply.

Windows power settings in Windows itself is what you are talking about?

You're saying you use 1.125 I/O voltage NOT Vcore right? (just to be sure) If so that's a lot less I/O voltage than I use and your overclock is pretty high @ 4.8Ghz with a 2500K. Interesting....

Also I'm running the XSM3 RAM at 1866Mhz @ 9-10-9-27, but with that being said XMP mode sets it 2000Mhz but I've never had luck getting it stable with 10-10-10-29 and this RAM is supposed to be able to hit 2000Mhz no problem tbh. Maybe the middle timings are too tight and more important than I'm realizing? maybe try loosening to 11-12-12-30?
Yes, I/O voltage at 1.125v not CPU voltage. All CPU's will respond different to voltages tho. I pushed 1.2 ish voltage (I/O voltage) on my 3570K, but It was only to get over 2400mhz on the ram. I/O voltage didn't seem to make any difference with clock speed however.

Yeah, I would try loosening the timings a little, or add a little more RAM voltage.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnt View Post

Yes, I/O voltage at 1.125v not CPU voltage. All CPU's will respond different to voltages tho. I pushed 1.2 ish voltage (I/O voltage) on my 3570K, but It was only to get over 2400mhz on the ram. I/O voltage didn't seem to make any difference with clock speed however.

Yeah, I would try loosening the timings a little, or add a little more RAM voltage.
I've tried raising the DRAM voltage with no luck so I think it's a timings issue and I need to loosen them as we both said. Can too much I/O voltage cause instability as well I wonder?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Actually it can. To much voltage (PLL voltage would be a good example) can actually cause instability. If you're at 1.19v now, try going to down in a few steps (1.17v - 1.15 etc) and see if that helps with your ram stability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts