Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

new here, so Hi,

I have been contemplating de-lidding my CPU, as I am sure the temps are OTT, when the bios was set to Auto vCore was 1.24v and PLL was 1.816v which sent the CPU to TJMax, I have changed the vCore to 1.05 and the PLL to 1.65v

Based on that, would you say my CPU is still too hot?

Image here has it running at stock speed 3.5Ghz with it speed boosted to 3.9Ghz,

·
Registered
885 Posts
Seems a bit high at that voltage especially with that monster cooler you have there but you're still well within normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, i was testing before, this is what I am getting....

CPU at 3.9Ghz = Max 94.5, Av 86 (Default vCore 1.24v and PLL 1.8v)
CPU at 3.9Ghz = Max 83, Av 78 (Mod vCore 1.05v and PLL 1.65v)
CPU at 4.2Ghz = Max 105, Av 97 (Default vCore 1.24v and PLL 1.8v)
CPU at 4.2Ghz = Max 89, Av 81 (Mod vCore 1.12v and PLL 1.60v)

Wondering if Watercooling is any better than my giant Air Cooler lol, i will be de-lidding soon (just have to make sure I have enough in the bank for a replacment CPU) and people have seen a 20oC drop,

·
Registered
885 Posts
It depends on which watercooling setup you get. The AIO coolers aren't great performers when compared to a high quality aircooler. It really depends on the rad size, so if you do go AIO get a 240mm rad. And of course you dont have a huge hunk of metal causing strain on your board. If you do want to go AIO get a Swiftech H220!

Before you look into different coolers though make sure you have adequate airflow inside your case.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the case is a Thermaltake Level 10 GT, and has 2x 200mm fans sucking in and 1x 200mm and 1x 140mm blowing out, so airflow is quite good i think, depends what you consider "good" as I have seen cases with 12 fans on them!!!, plus it has a directional 200mm blower on the side to direct airflow (aimed at GPU at the moment)

If I go water then I will be going for a custom build as I like to mess with stuff and building every part of it would suit my brain
smile.gif
and I like to be creative, but wondering would I see all that much diffrence from a good air cooler.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If you go with a custom loop then yes, you will see a much bigger difference, but it's impossible to say how much of a difference as this is highly dependent on the parts. The barrier for both air and water cooling is of course ambient temperature.

OCN's Water Cooling Essentials Thread is a good read!

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
I'd try reseating the cooler first, you shouldn't be hitting 100+ with that cooler at only 1.24V.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is my thermal paste, 1st attempt, 2nd was better but no pic, wasnt much diffrence tbh

How i did it,: I put sellotape round the edges of the CPU so I had a contaned edge, then put AS5 on and used a credit card to cover the IHS, then using the sellotape as a lip I scraped the paste off so I was left with a uniform layer no thicker than 0.03mm. It was the only way i could think to do it that would be totaly flat and nice and square.

·
Registered
885 Posts
No need to cover the entire lid, just a vertical line over where the die is actually located.

But that still shouldn't affect your temps by that much.

How many intake and how many exhaust fans do you have? How many fans do you have attached to your heatsink and how fast are they spinning?

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
That looks like a lot of thermal paste. The generally accepted way of doing it now is to just put a blob or line (running left to right in your picture) in the center of the CPU, and then just attach the heatsink and let that force spread it out. Helps prevent bubbles.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
My 3770k is hotter than yours at a lower voltage, but I was still able to achieve 4.5GHz and keep it under 85C in LinX. I also tested it on a $400 custom watercooling loop versus a $70 Noctua D14. Both resulted in the exact same temps. Some of these 3770ks are really hot, no matter what you do with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqu1dShadow View Post

Do you think i should re-do the thermal paste again using the line method?
You likely got a 3770k with lot of leakage like mine. It wouldn't hurt to apply the TIM correctly though. I wouldn't delid because it's not needed. You can probably get 4.5GHz on it which will easily remove any bottleneck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

My 3770k is hotter than yours at a lower voltage, it was one of the first batches. I also tested it on a $400 custom watercooling loop and a $70 Noctua D14. Both resulted in the exact same temps.

Some of these 3770ks are really hot, no matter what you do with them.
You likely got a 3770k with lot of leakage like mine. It wouldn't hurt to apply the TIM correctly though.
I got this about 4 weeks ago, thought it would have been ok, you would have thought suppliers could run test on them and add a premium to "gold" chips that us overclockers/gamers would them happly buy.

wondering iff I can get the TIM done will it make the diffrence I need it to.

How hot is yous running?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

I got this about 4 weeks ago, thought it would have been ok, you would have thought suppliers could run test on them and add a premium to "gold" chips that us overclockers/gamers would them happly buy.

How hot is yous running?
I get about 83C during the hardest tests (8k FFTs in Prime95 and LinX). My room is cold, and its about 10F outside though. In the summer it can see 88-89s. As long as you keep it below 90C you'll be fine, no real world apps will come close and the processors don't throttle until 105C.

It's not much work to remove the heatsink and redo TIM, so I always reseat a CPU a couple times on a new build just to make sure i'm getting the right temps.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:

Not really, because then technically it would be used chip. There was a scam a while back on ebay that did something similar, cant remember the exact details but they were selling a regular i5-2500k and called it "Intel Special Edition" or something and then selling them for outrageous prices.
Quote:

How hot is yours running?
You can try applying TIM using the line method you might see a couple degrees difference. Mine runs 89 on my Antec 920 and 93 on my 212+ @4.5GHz/ 1.272v.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its a shame intel dont do it, Id rather buy a tested chip at say £30/50 more knowing its a good chip, in reality all K series chips should be the "good" chips as there is a premium on these and designed to be overclocked. but....

Just updated the bios, from 0804 to 1604 and a few tweaks in the CPU settings and i have just got a 78.8oC average stress test @4.2Ghz,

I think im gunna do the de-lid this weekend, maybe i should have gone with a 2700k lol

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:

its a shame intel dont do it, Id rather buy a tested chip at say £30/50 more knowing its a good chip, in reality all K series chips should be the "good" chips as there is a premium on these and designed to be overclocked. but....

Just updated the bios, from 0804 to 1604 and a few tweaks in the CPU settings and i have just got a 78.8oC average stress test @4.2Ghz,

I think im gunna do the de-lid this weekend, maybe i should have gone with a 2700k lol
Glad to see you were able to bring your temps down! The BIOS update/ changing settings must have done the trick.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 46 Posts