Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my results with some questions at the end:

Intel 3770K
Zalman CNPS 10x Performa with arctic MX-4
Asrock Z77 extreme4
8GB Corsair Vengenace DDR1600

I can run 4.5 ghz with vcore auto and LLC set to level 4 (not sure % of droop that translates to). Prime95 temps reach max 68-72 on all cores after about an hour. Intel BurnTest gets a bit hotter, about mid 80s max load.

4.6 ghz is a completely different story. At this point auto vcore does nothing unless I set the LLC to level 1 (which is 100% I assume), but temps get crazy high at this point. IBT gets up to 94 almost immediately so I shut down the test after a few seconds.

Did some tinkering with setting vcore anywhere in the 1.20-1.30 range with LLC tweaking - it either crashes or is stable but at an unacceptable temp (>90 deg). I've since backed it down to the 4.5 ghz settings and am satisfied with that for now.

1). Why was 100mhz higher at 4.6ghz such a wall? Is it just my chip? My cooler certainly isn't the best in terms of air cooling, but it's no chump either and on reviews scores better than some of the more popular air options (212+ evo, etc).

2). Will hitting 90+ on my tests (even for just several seconds) damage the chip? I know the tmax is 105 and throttling will then kick in, but does that or throttling in itself cause damage to the chip?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Honestly, just keep it under 95C during stress testing and will be fine. I ran mine at 95C for awhile now (hours), and it's still ticking just fine. I've seen processors sit at 90+ C for months and still work, but I don't recommend it at all. A few hours of it isn't going to hurt it. Normal games, and normal load won't exceed ~75C.

My 3770k is the same way, however, I get the same temps at 4.6GHz as you do at 4.5GHz... and 4.7GHz results in 90+. I decided to keep it at 4.6GHz because mid 80s feels much more safe than mid 90s. 100mhz is not a very big difference and just not worth it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothuevos View Post

Here are my results with some questions at the end:
Intel 3770K
Zalman CNPS 10x Performa with arctic MX-4
Asrock Z77 extreme4
8GB Corsair Vengenace DDR1600
I can run 4.5 ghz with vcore auto
doh.gif

Get your Vcore off of auto. It overcompensates, especially when you are pushing the chip. This is why the temperatures are so hot, even with an aftermarket cooler. You may have done some damage to your chip by leaving your vcore on auto. Reset to your stock configuration and follow this guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-with-ln2-guide-at-the-end (or another if you find one better written, I searched for one rather quickly).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Vcore auto was only while at 4.5GHz and I think the vcore never exceeded 1.25 based on what I was reading on cpu-z on load and those temps at the time seemed fine. Still think I may have damaged the chip?

And when I was trying 4.6GHz I had it off auto vcore and manually tried all sorts of vcore/LLC combinations and either it crashed or temps got too high.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothuevos View Post

Thanks for the replies.
Vcore auto was only while at 4.5GHz and I think the vcore never exceeded 1.25 based on what I was reading on cpu-z on load and those temps at the time seemed fine. Still think I may have damaged the chip?
And when I was trying 4.6GHz I had it off vcore and manually tried all sorts of vcore/LLC combinations and either it crashed or temps got too high.
No you didn't damage your processor. Anyone stating you did with temps of mid 90s isn't following the Ivy Bridge owner thread. People in there running ~99 for hours.

My 3770k needs:
4.6 at 1.23v which is 88C in IBT. This is my 24/7 overclock.
4.7 at 1.29v which is 96C in IBT.

Your results may vary greatly. This is with LLC set to "Very High", or the 2nd highest setting. You should not really need to adjust any other voltages, you can probably even decrease PLL to 1.5v. You don't need to keep adjusting LLC, set it to max or 2nd to max and leave it there.

• Rep+
Reactions: 8bitG33k

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Currently at 1.2V vcore with LLC at level 2 (guessing that's about 75% vdroop)....seems to be stable, but my temps on IBT on very high reach low 80s with one core even hitting 90. Prime after about 2 hours tops out in the mid 70s across all cores which seems more reasonable.

Granted I will never do anything that will push the temps to 90, are my temps a cause for concern? Do I need to re-apply and re-seat? Better cooler?

Also a question about voltages...when I run it at 1.2 Vcore with LLC at 2, CPU-Z shows my actual vcore as 1.18-1.19 which is fine because of the vdroop, but when I actually manually set it to 1.18 with 100% LLC, it's not stable. Auto voltage with LLC at 3 or 4 idles at 1.24V-1.25V but under load again goes down to 1.17-1.18V and is stable. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Lower temps are always better, slow degradation over long haul. So no harm in remount and see if any better.

But like Murlocke said, over the short term like stress testing dont worry about it. Only way I would worry about 90C temps, if I were folding at home and running 90+C at high vcore for 24/7 folding. I have had every cpu I own, especially back when temp testing throttling at max 100C for hours/days. Never resulted in needing any more vcore for same overclock, nor would expect it to.

vcore is never stable, it always decreases with increasing load, via vdroop. however, sensors read in steps of .012 volts. Sometimes you see it change at load sometimes you dont, depending on say if your sensor says 1.272, and actual voltage is 1.277 at idle, it has to droop to .01V to 1.266v load before you see the value on cpuz change to 1.260v. However, if actual voltage is 1.267 at idle, then only has to droop .002V at load before cpuz shows value change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts