Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a mobo to go with a i7-4770k.

I'd like to spend around $200 or so for it. I've had issues dealing with Asus returns, so, I'm hesitant buying another one of their products, though, I'll do what I have to do.

My system specs are listed below, (I'm currently running a fx8320 / 990fxa-ud5)

CPU cooler - H100i

GPU - Asus DCUii OC GTX 780

Ram - 16gb Corsair vengeance pro @ 1866 (2x8gb)

PSU - TX850M

HDD - 7200RPM 1tb Seagate

SSD - Samsung evo 120gb (OS)

OS - win 7 64

So, I'd like a mobo with 2 x 16 PCIe (in case I go SLI), and good for overclocking. I want it to be in the $200 price range (Build quality), so, I'm not interested in saving $50 bucks, on a lesser mobo.

Any help, I liked to see a few options in this range.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,255 Posts
Gigabyte Z87 UD5H
Gigabyte Z87 OC ( I want this board myself )
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubass View Post

Gigabyte Z87 UD5H
Gigabyte Z87 OC ( I want this board myself )
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at it.

I know the AM3+ GB boards have a host of issues, are there any that I should be aware of with the LGA 1150?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at it.

I know the AM3+ GB boards have a host of issues, are there any that I should be aware of with the LGA 1150?
Gigabyte 1150 board are as reliable as you can get. No problems that I am aware of.

I would also recommend the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC, it's an absolutely phenomenal board for the price.
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,985 Posts

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post

The hero is probably the most popular and most used/recommended Z87 on the market.
Yea, that's what I was thinking.

Like I mentioned, I had a very bad experience with my 780 being defective, Asus dragged their feet for 8 days, and finally Amazon took care of it, by overnighting me a replacement 780 + paying for return shipping.

Ugh, but, I know they make damned fine mobo's.

I guess I'll just suck it up, and go with the Asus hero. I'm currently using a Gigabyte Mobo, and their bios is gimped, even though I have a 990FXA-UD5, which is one of their top of the line AM3+ mobos. The only one above it is the UD7, but, the bottom row of my sata ports would of been blocked had I gotten the UD7. Still, for as gimped as the bios is with the UD5...

I'll just get the Hero.

I'll buy the i7 / mobo later this month. My ol'lady gave me the go ahead, so, it's spouse approved.
thumb.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post

The hero is probably the most popular and most used/recommended Z87 on the market.
Yea, that's what I was thinking.

Like I mentioned, I had a very bad experience with my 780 being defective, Asus dragged their feet for 8 days, and finally Amazon took care of it, by overnighting me a replacement 780 + paying for return shipping.

Ugh, but, I know they make damned fine mobo's.

I guess I'll just suck it up, and go with the Asus hero. I'm currently using a Gigabyte Mobo, and their bios is gimped, even though I have a 990FXA-UD5, which is one of their top of the line AM3+ mobos. The only one above it is the UD7, but, the bottom row of my sata ports would of been blocked had I gotten the UD7. Still, for as gimped as the bios is with the UD5...

I'll just get the Hero.

I'll buy the i7 / mobo later this month
. My ol'lady gave me the go ahead, so, it's spouse approved.
thumb.gif
My wife is the same, i have to get spouse approved... but in my case i am married to an accountant so i have to justify expenditure
biggrin.gif


Goodluck with your new platform
thumb.gif
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubass View Post

My wife is the same, i have to get spouse approved... but in my case i am married to an accountant so i have to justify expenditure
biggrin.gif


Goodluck with your new platform
thumb.gif
Hey thanks! Yea, she has an IQ in the 140's, which means it isn't easy getting over on her.
biggrin.gif
(Though, she still suffers from lack of tech knowledge)

I basically explained that I've got some fairly high end components, supporting a low end CPU, which makes my other parts more or less wasted. (I said I'm dressing up a turd in diamonds =)

*Just to clear things up, this fx8320 is fine for the price range, but, it just isn't enough for my needs. I'd recommend a FX chip for a general usage system any day.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Yea, that's what I was thinking.

Like I mentioned, I had a very bad experience with my 780 being defective, Asus dragged their feet for 8 days, and finally Amazon took care of it, by overnighting me a replacement 780 + paying for return shipping.

Ugh, but, I know they make damned fine mobo's.

I guess I'll just suck it up, and go with the Asus hero. I'm currently using a Gigabyte Mobo, and their bios is gimped, even though I have a 990FXA-UD5, which is one of their top of the line AM3+ mobos. The only one above it is the UD7, but, the bottom row of my sata ports would of been blocked had I gotten the UD7. Still, for as gimped as the bios is with the UD5...

I'll just get the Hero.

I'll buy the i7 / mobo later this month. My ol'lady gave me the go ahead, so, it's spouse approved.
thumb.gif
Gigabyte has come a long way since their 990FX boards. The Hero is a great board and I'm sure you'll be happy with it, as long as you aren't doing any extreme overclocking there won't be much difference.

Just gonna leave the OC BIOS here, I think it's absolutely gorgeous.
biggrin.gif


 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerk View Post

Gigabyte has come a long way since their 990FX boards. The Hero is a great board and I'm sure you'll be happy with it, as long as you aren't doing any extreme overclocking there won't be much difference.

Just gonna leave the OC BIOS here, I think it's absolutely gorgeous.
biggrin.gif


Oh, I want a mobo that's a good OC'er.

I haven't really looked into intel that much, I just know the CPU I want, and also, I've seen that 4.5 seems to be the common OC. Would I be able to hit 4.5 or so with the hero?

**That bios does look good btw.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Oh, I want a mobo that's a good OC'er.

I haven't really looked into intel that much, I just know the CPU I want, and also, I've seen that 4.5 seems to be the common OC. Would I be able to hit 4.5 or so with the hero?

**That bios does look good btw.
Both boards are great overclockers and there will be no difference between them if you are using air or water cooling. You should be able to hit 4.5 GHz easily as long as you have sufficient cooling.

The difference will come when you are doing extreme overclocking under LN2 or DICE, if you do then the Z87X-OC will have the edge. I doubt you will be doing that though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Oh, I want a mobo that's a good OC'er.

I haven't really looked into intel that much, I just know the CPU I want, and also, I've seen that 4.5 seems to be the common OC. Would I be able to hit 4.5 or so with the hero?

**That bios does look good btw.
OCability is much more cpu dependent (silicon lottery) than your mobo. Get the mobo that has the features and reliability you want.
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, cool.

Yea, I won't be pushing for extreme levels. As for cooling, I'm using a H100i, so, I should be able to handle a fair OC. I just want to make sure the mobo can handle what I put on it.

I just wanted to get a general idea of mobo's out there. It will be 2 weeks before I order the i7/mobo, so, I have time to read up on it.

I can hardly wait.
thumb.gif
(not looking forward to pulling the mobo though)
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I got my 4770k and Hero MOBO in today. It's all installed and updating.

One thing I noticed, which is kind of disapointing, is my 990FXA-UD5 feels much beefier than this Asus Hero. I understand that for a LGA1150 the hero is considered budget, however, it still sells for up to $220 (Caught for $180), where in this 990FXA-UD5 was $175 ($155 after mail in).

I can't wait to see how this i7 performs.

*I checked out some Borderlands 2, and the spot that I'd drop to 40 in, held 60fps easy with Vsync on at the same settings. Going to try more, but, considering I'm at stock still, I think was much more than a "Sidegrade".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,348 Posts
The Gigabyte 87 OC is a hell of a board. You'll be hard pressed to find one that beats it at that price.

Asus. Maximus vi hero is good as well.

Also the evga z87ftw is pretty good from what I've seen.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top