Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

So my i7 is crazy hot right now. I built the system a couple months ago and was seeing average temps running Aida64. Im cooling with an H220 and max i was seeing was about 67c. idling was around 22c. Totally normal

Everything was fine then the other day i loaded up Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 (great game) and ended up overdrawing my UPS. Infact the UPS started the alarm, cut off power from the wall and i drained my backup battery.

I plugged my desktop into the wall and started it back up and got a 'CPU overheat error' during post.

got into windows and checked temps and they were at about 95c. now after browsing craigslist im at 115c. Obviously this must be a fluke

For the record i chalked all the heat up to a potentially broken pump on my H220 so i swapped out thermal paste to see if MAYBE that was the issue. Reinstalled the cooler and nothing. still hot as hell.
so i broke out the old stock heatsink. installed that and still hot as hell.

So now i think its either a bust CPU or my probes are wonky.

Any ideas?

For the record, SGW2 was the first actually intensive game ive played on this build

TL;DR
CPU is crazy hot (120c max, program cant read any higher). used stock heatsink and H220 and changed thermal paste 3 times. no results.

·
Registered
769 Posts
When did you get your i7? Recent batch had a bunch of overheating problems. I sent mine in a week and half ago; got it back two days ago. According to the rep there's a problem with programs reading temps for the 4790k. But I started getting really bad temps and started to lag. So i got it sent the following day.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I would suspect a temp sensor issue as well. RMA time perhaps. The question is whether it's the chip or the mobo. If above poster says there's a cpu manufacturing issue that is probably the one to try first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombastinator View Post

I would suspect a temp sensor issue as well. RMA time perhaps. The question is whether it's the chip or the mobo. If above poster says there's a cpu manufacturing issue that is probably the one to try first.
Probably what im gonna have to do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahboi View Post

When did you get your i7? Recent batch had a bunch of overheating problems. I sent mine in a week and half ago; got it back two days ago. According to the rep there's a problem with programs reading temps for the 4790k. But I started getting really bad temps and started to lag. So i got it sent the following day.
ive had mine for a couple months now. Everything seemed fine for the first 2 months. maybe ill call intel

**just updated the BIOS. ill update if anything changes (unlikely)***

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahboi View Post

Do you have any sources? I just finished a new build using the stock heatsink but I'm not overclocking at all and I'm having serious heat issues. I've had to disable turbo just to keep temps from shooting over 100C. Sitting here right now 0.700v idling at 48-52C. Load volts are 1.050v and gaming shoots it to 70-80C and stress tests like AIDA will send it over 90C. That's with turbo disabled. If I leave it enabled just as it came stock its practically unusable.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybby View Post

Do you have any sources? I just finished a new build using the stock heatsink but I'm not overclocking at all and I'm having serious heat issues. I've had to disable turbo just to keep temps from shooting over 100C. Sitting here right now 0.700v idling at 48-52C. Load volts are 1.050v and gaming shoots it to 70-80C and stress tests like AIDA will send it over 90C. That's with turbo disabled. If I leave it enabled just as it came stock its practically unusable.
dont use test that include avx2 instruction or it will be overheating

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

dont use test that include avx2 instruction or it will be overheating
At stock settings with turbo enabled gaming will send temps skyrocketing to the point where it lags unbearably. Idles at 60C+ and general usage like browsing the net or watching vids will move temps into the 80s

·
Registered
999 Posts
jfazz95 - RealTemp GT is for the 6 core CPUs. Try running RealTemp.exe instead.

Did you change the TJ Max values in the Settings window? If you did, push the Defaults button in that window so RealTemp can read the correct TJ Max values from your CPU.

Do you see the RealTemp - Thermal Status area where it says, LOG, LOG, LOG, LOG. That means all 4 cores of your CPU reached the thermal throttling temperature. Nothing wrong with your sensors. Your CPU really is hot.

If you are experienced at installing thermal paste successfully and the stock heatsink showed the same sort of sky high temperatures then my guess is that there is a problem with the heat spreader over top of the CPU not making full contact with the 4 CPU cores. If Intel used solder, you wouldn't have to worry that this could be an issue.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

At stock settings with turbo enabled gaming will send temps skyrocketing to the point where it lags unbearably. Idles at 60C+ and general usage like browsing the net or watching vids will move temps into the 80s
if it does 60c+ at stoxk setting reseat your heatsink/waterblock and if you have a lapped heatsink/water block cannot be doing the proper contact or your pump/fan is set to low speed

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

if it does 60c+ at stoxk setting reseat your heatsink/waterblock and if you have a lapped heatsink/water block cannot be doing the proper contact or your pump/fan is set to low speed
Just removed the heatsink and cleaned everything and replaced with arctic silver 5 and idle temps seems to have improved a little. low 50's high 40's. I'm using the stock heatsinks. Tried to play skyrim and after a minute or so I could hear the fans ramp up to 100% and started to notice some stuttering so I tabbed out and seen the temps around in the low 80s

Edit: Forgot to mention that the heatsink appeared to be making excellent contact.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

Just removed the heatsink and cleaned everything and replaced with arctic silver 5 and idle temps seems to have improved a little. low 50's high 40's. I'm using the stock heatsinks. Tried to play skyrim and after a minute or so I could hear the fans ramp up to 100% and started to notice some stuttering so I tabbed out and seen the temps around in the low 80s

Edit: Forgot to mention that the heatsink appeared to be making excellent contact.
Stock heatsink nvm
biggrin.gif

why you dont buy an aftermarket one?tell a budget and which is your computer case

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm thinking that your H220 cooler is messed up. My i7 4790k idles at around 20C (right now Speccy shows 19/20/19/19C). AIDA 64 Stress test on my CPU sends it up to 60C but I've never seen it go above 65C. I'm currently running mine at 4.5GHz on all 4 cores.

And never run any other stress test like Prime95 on a Devils Canyon proc, it just cant take it and will soar to 85-90C. There is no need to run those test to check the CPUs stability anyway.

I've been overclocking my proc from Day 1 and mines as stable as can be (and I bought it in June). I love this proc.

I am using a Corsair H80i and 4 -140mm case fans in push pull config. Even during heavy long drawn out BF4 gaming sessions my 4790k never gets above 40C (stays around 35C - IN GAME!). Sometimes it freaks me out how cool it stays.

My old SB i7 2600k used to hit high 50's low 60's while gaming and it was only OC'ed to 4.5GHz.

If you have contacted Intel already though and they'll RMA it, I would go ahead just in case and get a brand new proc.

Also it is true that several commonly used monitoring utilities give false readings on DC procs for some reason. AIDA always seems to be spot on though.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Using stock cooler AND stressing an i7 will ramp up its temps, so the temp OP is getting when using the stock cooler is normal. I've done that before and I feel sorry for my processor everytime my nephew plays Crysis 3 because it always reaches TJMAX when it is inside a case, so I am forced to remove my system inside a case and put it on a test bench temporarily.

Anyways, it is possibly a faulty H220x. Try to listen to the pump real close when your computer is doing some work.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Google the processor and intel. There is a on going thread about the overheating issue. I just got mine back and it's doing fine underlay now ( 55-65 c). Also intel has their own stress test which I do highly recommend, as 95 and Intel burntest is tons of stress. I'll link both as soon I get to a computer.

EDIT:

Here's the Link to the issue.

I was hitting 100c with the stock cooler under full loads. That's with reseating it a few times and checking multiple variables that may affect the my temps. Turned out to be my chip I bought at MC. I was just part of a unlucky batch.

And here is the link for any kind of Intel CPU stress testing: Intel XTU. Its also not recommended to use the stock cooler if you're using this utility
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts