Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently have my i7 oc'ed to 4.5ghz at stock (auto) V and i like it, but i still want to push it higher. so i bumped it up to 4.6 at stock V to give the intelburntest a whirl and it passed the standard load 10 tests (hurray omg!) kidding, its not a big deal. but in prime 95 it crashed right away so i bumped the V up to 1.315 (lol almost typed out3.5). IBT was fun (i dont do those long, just a normal and high at 10 tests to warm it up) but it crashed right away in Prime95 with a clock_watchdog_tiemeout.

the odd thing that happened was my raid 0 array was reset in the mobo to read the ssd's individually, so after reseting them to Raid I had to restart twice, and do a full powerdown before it would load normally.

Is that occurrence a normal thing? I'm fine at leaving it where its at now until i get my loop built but I will want to eventually push it to see if I can get to 4.7-4.8 which are my goal frequencies.

Any advice and or suggestions would be most welcome. my build is currently i7-6700k/gigabyte gaming 7/16 gigs of ddr4 @ 2400. and im cooling with a h60 but im thinking of upping that to an h100 or x61

Thank you,
Jaad (Next Gen OC'er and Enthusiast)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just for comparison for you...

My 6700k sits perfectly at [email protected] As in thats what I set the voltage to in the bios. Any less and it crashes. Now to get to 4.7, I need to set it to 1.400. And it will game at [email protected] but I wont pass long term stability tests at that level. My safe and sweet spot seems to be [email protected] My 100% load temps are 65c-ish and its plenty fast and not worth the extra voltage for 100mhz more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post

Just for comparison for you...

My 6700k sits perfectly at [email protected] As in thats what I set the voltage to in the bios. Any less and it crashes. Now to get to 4.7, I need to set it to 1.400. And it will game at [email protected] but I wont pass long term stability tests at that level. My safe and sweet spot seems to be [email protected] My 100% load temps are 65c-ish and its plenty fast and not worth the extra voltage for 100mhz more.
In my case I think i increased the V by too little from 1.3 to 1.315. I'll give it a shot with 50mV increments. My load temps are rather hot ranging from 80-100 at the most, but I think the h60 is under powered by a long shot for that sort of heat dispersal while being excellent in regular day to day usage and gaming at 4.5ghz

My best course of action will most likely be to take a step back from theory and wanting the highest numbers possible (for a bit) to look at the tangible benefits in relation to 100mhz increments (just swag over performance)

Thanks for the insight, i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah you really need to step into an AIO water cooler. I have the H100i GTX and thats the only reason Im able to run the 4.7-4.8ghz numbers. At 4.8, I see 100% load temps right around 80c. On anything less Im sure I'd be pegged at 100c and it would thermal throttle. The AIO water cooler is really a god send for these CPUs. They do run a tad bit cooler than the last gen 4790k, but still you can hit their thermal limit with a mild voltage bump. Get yourself an AIO. I have had two H100i GTXs at this point. One for this skylake build and the last one for my 4790k build. They have been rock steady and they look great. Plus its generally $120 from what Ive seen.

·
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)
8,191 Posts
I overclocked my 6600K quite a bit before I installed my custom loop in my case. I was using an H50 and was able to get 1.42V under load for 4.6 GHz with 75C max temp while testing stability and 1.488v for 4.7 now with my custom loop with 61C as max temp while folding.

Also, I would suggest a Noctua NH-D15S or D15 instead of an all-in-one cooler. The performance is on par, but costs significantly less, while being quieter.

note : my voltages are higher because I'm pushing my IMC a lot with 3333 MHz, Cas 14 RAM @ 1.52V.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imc?

i wish i had seen your post earlier, i probably would have gotten the noctua, but i ended up purchasing a h110i and some additional sp fans for push/pull.

but on a brighter note i think finally nailed the 4.6ghz plateau i was facing. i first set the llc to normal but was still getting bsods, so after doing a bit more reading i saw that some had upped the llc to high and upped the ram V too for stability, so i set the llc to high and the ram V to 1.25 (from 1.2) and i ran prime 95 for an hour cleanly with no issues. tomorrow when i get the h110i installed im going to run it again for another 2 hours or so and then again after the paste cures. if im liking the way things look i'll be taking it up to 4.7

keep in mind my intentions for oc'ing higher than 4.5 are based entirely on the excitement that im getting out of seeing how far i can safely push the system. i rarely get this excited over my hobbies too. a little known secret is that before december when i started planing out my new battle class gaming rig, i couldnt point out a sata cable lol

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Please check the guide in my sig.

I would not bet happy with temps nearing 100?!!?

With ibt at maximum mem and prime 28.7'small ffts I barely touch 85 c and that's at 1.4v 4.7 cpu 4.6 cache and 3600 memory those are the hottest two tests.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive been using that guide actually. im also quite dissapointed with the h110i's cooling too as its running with a push/pull and hitting 100 still even on x264 v2. i must have messed up somehow when mounting the head. in addition to the link going nuts with usb connectivity issues.

Even though I can hit 4.5 on stock/auto V and seeing that i get an avg max draw of 1.318 V at that setting i didnt think going up another 100mhz would require that much of a jump, but to get 4.6 stable in prime95 i need 1.39. and with llc on high

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post

ive been using that guide actually. im also quite dissapointed with the h110i's cooling too as its running with a push/pull and hitting 100 still even on x264 v2. i must have messed up somehow when mounting the head. in addition to the link going nuts with usb connectivity issues.

Even though I can hit 4.5 on stock/auto V and seeing that i get an avg max draw of 1.318 V at that setting i didnt think going up another 100mhz would require that much of a jump, but to get 4.6 stable in prime95 i need 1.39. and with llc on high
For those temps you must have. I built my friends sky lake and he is using h100i. 4.6cpu stock cache 1.35v Lvl 5 llc and it was barely breaking 80 in prime small fft with 2 fans.

Also to be honest I would not use prime especially small fft to gauge stability for overclock on skylake anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinking of re positioning the h110i rad farther away to relieve stress on the hoses and head. As odd as it sounds in the core x9 its a tight fit, but mainly so because of the push/pull set up. in addition the 4 fans will also be plugged into the mobo to set up a fan curve *fingers crossed*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts