Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states my stock settings before any overclock is 1.38V!! Under load it gets as high as 1.42v. Has anyone else seen a stock voltage this high? Did I just get extremely unlucky or is there an issue with the CPU. I am starting to regret upgrading from my sandy bridge.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Yes there are many people with high VID.

That means, basically, nothing. You will more than likely find that you can still OC to say 4.5 - 4.6giggles between 1.35v - 1.4v. Ignore what you see and start OCing then make sure you look at vcore (not VID). Use a program like HWInfo.

I don't see your board but I see ASUS there so remember to set LLC to either 4 or 5. This ensures your voltages are close to what you enter in BIOS, 4 being less.

This thread helps.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So surfing the web I find others reporting that they saw this too but were able to drop the voltage and still get it to 4.6. I tried to raise the multiplier to 4.6 without touching the VID and while it booted into windows it failed AIDAI64 immediately. All I could get out of it is 4.3 at 1.38 which CPU-Z reported 1.44V. Looks like I got a dud
sadsmiley.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just missed your post error-id10t. As you can see I tried and all I could get out of it was 4.3 My board is Maximus hero Viii Bios is showing the same as CPU-Z and HWMonitor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided I would let AI Suite do the overclock to see what it can come up with. I reset the cmos before letting Ai suit do it's thing even though the only thing I changed was multiplier. It couldn't even overclock it. Crashed as soon as it raised the multiplier to 4.3

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
"Something" is off, considering your board stock is x42.

There's not many options to play around, really, the board has many options but the main ones are effectively.

Enable XMP, you're going to do this anyway.
Leave cache to auto for now
Set VCCIO and SA to 1.2v to remove possible "issues" from RAM
LLC to 5
Use Extreme for Phases and whatever the other option is (sorry can't remember right now but it's right next do it), same for RAM
Vcore = 1.38v
Multi for all = 44.

Run stability. If ok then go for 45 etc. If you look at the Skylake thread nobody has a chip that bad, it's just a case of tweaking whatever setting is off.

Remember to ensure your BIOS is updated to latest.

If all else fails and nobody else can help, buy Intel tuning plan and get a new chip.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
It is very common for skylake cpus to have a stock voltage of 1.4v or around where which is actually normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it to my brother to help me out since he knows more about over clocking than i do. 4.3 is all he could get stable enough to pass 15 minutes real bench. He thought maybe something was wrong with my build so he installed my cpu in his with same results.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Yeah probably the best thing to do is get it replaced like error said through Intel tuning plan. Nothing much else you can do.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientech View Post

I took it to my brother to help me out since he knows more about over clocking than i do. 4.3 is all he could get stable enough to pass 15 minutes real bench. He thought maybe something was wrong with my build so he installed my cpu in his with same results.
You might just have an extremely poor overclocker. You could buy the Intel performance tuning plan and get a replacement after a month if you want to try again. A 6700K at stock will still beat an overclocked sandy bridge afaik.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts