Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a i7-6850K overclocked to 4.4GHZ @ 1.34 Voltage and CPU temp is 50C idle. My GPU is EVGA 1080TI and GPU temp is 56C idle with 14% Fan PWM.
My PC shut down recently due to over-heating while gaming and I am concerned I didn't apply CPU cooling properly. I am using Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO.

Is my PC overheating because I didn't apply cooling properly or should I ditch Coolermaster altogether and buy new cooling? What is a norm temp for the i7-6850K?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That is quite a big oc for a 6850k on air, you are asking a lot of that little hyper 212. Makes sense temps are so high. If you want to continue running at those frequencies and voltages I'd suggest upgrading the cooler.

What case are you using too ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is quite a big oc for a 6850k on air, you are asking a lot of that little hyper 212. Makes sense temps are so high. If you want to continue running at those frequencies and voltages I'd suggest upgrading the cooler.

What case are you using too ?

I am using cheapest Mid-tower NZXT case. I have upgraded everything else beside cooler and case. I will stop by Microcenter tomorrow to purchase new case and cooler.
My Budget is $600 for both and I would like high silence and the best cooling. Can you recommend the best for year 2018?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just to follow up on thread for anyone going through overheating problems I ended up purchasing the Kragen X62 Liquid cooler with my NZXT S340 case. Been playing with this cooler/case combo for a few days and no problems at all, am very satisfied with the purchase. Software CAM X62 is excellent, provides an overview of the CPU and GPU temps/load/clock speed/fan speed. Very handy and nice to have. Temps are staying under 60C full load and PC is no longer shutting because of overheating. Biggest surprise for me is that don't see any latency/lag/blur in games and I would have never thought "overheating" would cause these issues but it absolutely does in real-time gaming! So if you can't figure out why you are still having frame rate, latency, and lag issues playing old games with lowest settings despite having current techs like a 1080TI and SSD drive, It's most likely your CPU downclocking and getting to sleep state so try getting that fixed and it'll be butter smooth!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts