Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had my CPU for over 5 years+ now CPU has been doing good with my GPU.

My question is should I upgrade to the new Core i7-11700K or older generation Core i9-11900K ? Is it worth it?

I was looking at getting Z590 motherboard as well to go with it.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Assuming you game at 1080p 144hz, probably not. If you go up in refresh rate and/or resolution, then yes. Are you having any framerate issues with a 3080 and 7700k?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
Hey guys, I've had my CPU for over 5 years+ now CPU has been doing good with my GPU.

My question is should I upgrade to the new Core i7-11700K or older generation Core i9-11900K ? Is it worth it?

I was looking at getting Z590 motherboard as well to go with it.
Forget about the 11700K and the 11900K they are a waste of sand and they are an overpriced ripoff
You are much better off with either the older Intel 10 series or with an AMD 5800x

If you still have your Corsair AX1200 (not the AX1200i) you should upgrade that instead since it has history of having problems with age

• Rep+
Reactions: Anth0789

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming you game at 1080p 144hz, probably not. If you go up in refresh rate and/or resolution, then yes. Are you having any framerate issues with a 3080 and 7700k?
Well 1440p at 165hz - I don't have any issues gaming to be honest.

Forget about the 11700K and the 11900K they are a waste of sand and they are an overpriced ripoff
You are much better off with either the older Intel 10 series or with an AMD 5800x

If you still have your Corsair AX1200 (not the AX1200i) you should upgrade that instead since it has history of having problems with age
Okay well , ill look at the 10 series then, for my PSU ill take a look aswell thanks!

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
Why are you not looking at AMD is there a reason why you want the worse platform?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Well 1440p at 165hz - I don't have any issues gaming to be honest.
You would definitely unlock some frames with a new CPU. The 11700K is probably the best option if you are comfortable with memory tuning. If you are more casual about overclocking and want something that is a bit more foolproof, I hear the AMD Risen is a pretty good knockoff. Sure the 1% lows might not be as good but you can set XMP and PBO and let the bios do the rest.

• Rep+
Reactions: Anth0789

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think ill wait, as im still getting good FPS.

·
PC Enthusiast
746 Posts
Last year I upgraded from a 7700k @ 4.8ghz to a 10700k @ 4.9ghz. I don’t regret it as I just wanted to upgrade but the performance difference is so small I don’t think it was necessary, at least in the games I play. I would have been 100% fine staying with what I had. I game at 4K though.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,420 Posts
if you can get it for the right price, GO..else if not, DON'T..TBH 7700K still fares well these days just paired to a beastly GPU..if you'd upgrade you can try buying either higher frequency RAM or a faster Storage..

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
if you can get it for the right price, GO..else if not, DON'T..TBH 7700K still fares well these days just paired to a beastly GPU..if you'd upgrade you can try buying either higher frequency RAM or a faster Storage..
He has a 3080. Performance is wasted on a 7700k.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Ohh I see..CPU limited..but this time Isn't perfect to upgrade TBH..like I said if he can get it a the right price he should..
There is nothing wrong with CPU prices.

• Rep+
Reactions: Nikado7

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
What are your reasons for not wanting to get an AMD system? I have been stubbornly against AMD and pro Intel since the 90s - always seeing AMD as the slower and more inferior and lower quality choice, but as a few people on here know, I recently upgraded to an AMD system with a B550 chipset motherboard and the Ryzen 7 5800X, and I am extremely happy I did (which is pretty much the biggest understatement of my life so far). I'm not saying that you should get the 5800X, but you could get the 5600X and still get killer performance. That is, Intel-killer performance. Meaning, it will kill Intel for you and you'll be glad of it. I thought I would NEVER switch to AMD. If everyone on here knew what my attitude toward AMD was, they would have been speechless with their jaws on the floor going, "omg... TwoCables upgraded to AMD?!?!"

Also, check out this great reply by KyadCK in one of my threads: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING: what are these things that...

AMD is dominating Intel right now. Why buy inferior performance if you don't have to?

I do want to know what your reasons are though for choosing Intel over AMD.

For extra fun:

Regardless of what upgrade path you choose, don't underestimate the difference in performance you could get. I know you're getting good framerates now, but you could improve your frametimes which will make games much more enjoyable.

• Rep+
Reactions: Imglidinhere

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
What are your reasons for not wanting to get an AMD system?
Intel is metal. On the other hand, AMD is great for your average Joe who doesn't want to burn up his CPU with this whole overclocking thing and is more content to enable XMP, put on some Dave Matthews Band, and let PBO handle the cores.

• Rep+
Reactions: T.Sharp

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
ohh..you're not being scalped there?? seems from where I am at in Asia..things gone haywire too..
Only the 11900K, 5900X, and 5950X are overpriced in the US.

• Rep+
Reactions: Steffek

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,420 Posts
Only the 11900K, 5900X, and 5950X are overpriced in the US.
here everything, even RAM is now gone insane..and those RAM's aren't even B-Die..people selling used parts like brand new..(bought and used 5 years ago, priced like 10$ off the original price today..) and they keep telling over their post that "ITS THE NEW NORMAL" so live with it..lmao

1 - 20 of 51 Posts