Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
Hey guys, I've had my CPU for over 5 years+ now CPU has been doing good with my GPU.

My question is should I upgrade to the new Core i7-11700K or older generation Core i9-11900K ? Is it worth it?

I was looking at getting Z590 motherboard as well to go with it.
5800X is the better buy. Have to upgrade the motherboard anyway so, why stick with blue team? :p

If you DO stick with blue team, just get a 11700k and be done with it. The 11900K is pointlessly expensive and hilariously unjustified. Loses in SC performance vs the vastly superior 5900X and is demolished in MT work.

• Rep+
Reactions: Anth0789

·
Robotic Chemist
3,592 Posts
Intel is metal. On the other hand, AMD is great for your average Joe who doesn't want to burn up his CPU with this whole overclocking thing and is more content to enable XMP, put on some Dave Matthews Band, and let PBO handle the cores.
:rolleyes:

Per core curve optimizer tuning is hardly average Joe overclocking compared to setting a multiplier and calling it a day. It is weird but it is not easy mode. Both systems benefit from tuning memory, I don't know why you would set XMP on one but not the other.

There is a lot of room for improvement. Overclocking my 5950X has been as rewarding as any of my recent Intel systems, with more to learn too. You are missing out if you only get to play with one platform. :p

·
Premium Member
6,002 Posts
Upgraded from a 7700K to a 5900X here. FPS wasn't too much different but gameplay is now so much smoother. With the 7700K i was seeing stuttering due to a maxed out CPU in many of the new titles.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,527 Posts
Unless op has stuttering issues I would wait for Adler lake at the least later this year. Both Intel and AMD have their respective benefits, but buying into a DDR4 platform is like buying a used car with 140000 miles on it.
I'm waiting for Raptor lake since it's supposed to get some game cache thing, but I game at 4k.

• Rep+

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks guys, ill wait it out for the next gen of CPU's that come out.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
after reading this thread i decided that im going to wait till next year or late fall/winter,to upgrade my 7700K,,i cant get a GPU right now anyways, and there horrilby overpriced..my son in law said his 6700K/3080 was giving him micro stutters ,,so he bought a 5800x,,,he waited in line for hours to get that chip
so why is the 10700K at 400$ and the 5800X at 639$,,is the Ryzen that much better,,the 10700K should be good for 5 years of gaming.

My grandson is using a FX6300/GTX670,,he needs an upgrade too

so undecided what to do this year,,

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,422 Posts
Intel is metal. On the other hand, AMD is great for your average Joe who doesn't want to burn up his CPU with this whole overclocking thing and is more content to enable XMP, put on some Dave Matthews Band, and let PBO handle the cores.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,057 Posts
What are your reasons for not wanting to get an AMD system? I have been stubbornly against AMD and pro Intel since the 90s - always seeing AMD as the slower and more inferior and lower quality choice, but as a few people on here know, I recently upgraded to an AMD system with a B550 chipset motherboard and the Ryzen 7 5800X, and I am extremely happy I did (which is pretty much the biggest understatement of my life so far). I'm not saying that you should get the 5800X, but you could get the 5600X and still get killer performance. That is, Intel-killer performance. Meaning, it will kill Intel for you and you'll be glad of it. I thought I would NEVER switch to AMD. If everyone on here knew what my attitude toward AMD was, they would have been speechless with their jaws on the floor going, "omg... TwoCables upgraded to AMD?!?!"

Also, check out this great reply by KyadCK in one of my threads: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING: what are these things that...

AMD is dominating Intel right now. Why buy inferior performance if you don't have to?

I do want to know what your reasons are though for choosing Intel over AMD.

For extra fun:

Regardless of what upgrade path you choose, don't underestimate the difference in performance you could get. I know you're getting good framerates now, but you could improve your frametimes which will make games much more enjoyable.
I’ve been back and forth for many years. Right now my only issue with AMD is they don’t clock worth a crap. My last AMD build was when the Sledgehammer was introduced and I could run two dual core chips on one board and have quad core. Then 4 months later and for a lot less and less heat Intel launched the first quad core that spanked the crap out of the build I had just finished.

I wouldn’t bother with a 5800X or any other AM4 as the platform is at end of life. As is 1151, X299 and rumors of AMD pulling an Intel move with a TRX refresh but that platform IMO is good for a workstation and not so much of anything else.

Bottom line is just wait a little while. By Q4 both will have new platforms on the market then you can make a better decision instead of buying a platform now this is already guaranteed to be dated by the time you finish the build.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,057 Posts
here everything, even RAM is now gone insane..and those RAM's aren't even B-Die..people selling used parts like brand new..(bought and used 5 years ago, priced like 10$ off the original price today..) and they keep telling over their post that "ITS THE NEW NORMAL" so live with it..lmao
Yeah RAM is getting jacked too, mostly the higher frequency but most folks don't get it that frequency is only part of the equation. Ill take a kit that I can run at CL16 3800 over a 4000 CL19 any day.

·
Registered
561 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
That's the memory I have, but the one with the red heatspreaders. :) I'm very happy with it.

• Rep+

·
Registered
561 Posts
That's the memory I have, but the one with the red heatspreaders. :) I'm very happy with it.
I got the same stuff when it was ~$75 a few months ago. I still haven't attempted to OC though. Memory tuning doesn't sound like fun to me, I'm an XMPleb :p

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
I got the same stuff when it was ~$75 a few months ago. I still haven't attempted to OC though. Memory tuning doesn't sound like fun to me, I'm an XMPleb :p
lol Me too! :)

·
Graphics Junkie
3,263 Posts
Assuming you game at 1080p 144hz, probably not. If you go up in refresh rate and/or resolution, then yes. Are you having any framerate issues with a 3080 and 7700k?
Definitely would not need a better CPU to go up in resolution. higher frame rate for lower res yes, higher res no.

But really the main difference you would get with a better CPU would be more cores and the more popular competitive FPS games that people get high refresh rate monitors for don't really benefit much from more cores right now, and per core performance has barely improved since the 7700K with intel.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Definitely would not need a better CPU to go up in resolution. higher frame rate for lower res yes, higher res no.

But really the main difference you would get with a better CPU would be more cores and the more popular competitive FPS games that people get high refresh rate monitors for don't really benefit much from more cores right now, and per core performance has barely improved since the 7700K with intel.
Good catch, yeah going up in res would only reduce CPU load.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
I’ve been back and forth for many years. Right now my only issue with AMD is they don’t clock worth a crap. My last AMD build was when the Sledgehammer was introduced and I could run two dual core chips on one board and have quad core. Then 4 months later and for a lot less and less heat Intel launched the first quad core that spanked the crap out of the build I had just finished.

I wouldn’t bother with a 5800X or any other AM4 as the platform is at end of life. As is 1151, X299 and rumors of AMD pulling an Intel move with a TRX refresh but that platform IMO is good for a workstation and not so much of anything else.

Bottom line is just wait a little while. By Q4 both will have new platforms on the market then you can make a better decision instead of buying a platform now this is already guaranteed to be dated by the time you finish the build.
You are one of those people that think because AMD doesn't clock as high as Intel that they're inferior, aren't you? IPC matters more bossman, seriously. I mean, the 5800X I have pushes up to 4.85GHz on a single core when needed and sits at 4.3GHz under full 16-thread load, and that's when the ENTIRE chip is used. When half the CPU is used, it's 4.5GHz all the way so like... sure, you do you. Buy Intel and be happy, but don't go around spreading falsehoods that can be disproven with any of the dozen videos from any of the dozen techtubers around nowadays.

Is the 5800X worth it at MSRP? IF all of AMD's lineup is available, no it's actually the worst value part. That's been said already. But since the 5600X is going for $350-360 and the 5900X and 5950X are nowhere to be found, a 5800X for $450 sounds pretty reasonable! Reality tends to change your mind when faced with alternatives that don't meet expectation.

Would I recommend someone get a 10700K if they had a lower budget currently? Yes. Intel is actually cheaper right now, and stating it's a "dead platform" would be an ignorant argument because AM4 ends with Zen 3 anyway, so they're BOTH dead platforms which makes the entire argument/boon/point completely moot. The 10700K is still absolutely a MONSTER of a CPU and no one will refute that claim. This isn't comparing Pentium 4 to Athlon 64 or the 8370 to the 7700K where one is absurdly faster than the other, it's a 15%-ish lead from one to another. That's substantial, but when every game reaches over 100 FPS with an upper to mid-range, generation old GPU like a 2070 or a 1080 and you've got a 10700k, you will NOT see any real gain going to AMD's offering. It's only if you have the utmost HIGHEST end GPU that you will see any serious gains happening. It's silly to argue otherwise. No one is THAT sensitive to a 15-30 fps gain.

TL;DR

If you can find a 5800X at MSRP and also get a decent B550 motherboard also at MSRP or even on a 10-15% discount, do that. Otherwise, 10700k/Z490 (or whichever is the latest board that supports that CPU, I don't remember) will do JUST as well.

Is AMD faster? Yes. Are they faster by any amount that MATTERS to anyone with any sense of self? No not really.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,057 Posts
You are one of those people that think because AMD doesn't clock as high as Intel that they're inferior, aren't you? IPC matters more bossman, seriously. I mean, the 5800X I have pushes up to 4.85GHz on a single core when needed and sits at 4.3GHz under full 16-thread load, and that's when the ENTIRE chip is used. When half the CPU is used, it's 4.5GHz all the way so like... sure, you do you. Buy Intel and be happy, but don't go around spreading falsehoods that can be disproven with any of the dozen videos from any of the dozen techtubers around nowadays.

Is the 5800X worth it at MSRP? IF all of AMD's lineup is available, no it's actually the worst value part. That's been said already. But since the 5600X is going for $350-360 and the 5900X and 5950X are nowhere to be found, a 5800X for $450 sounds pretty reasonable! Reality tends to change your mind when faced with alternatives that don't meet expectation.

Would I recommend someone get a 10700K if they had a lower budget currently? Yes. Intel is actually cheaper right now, and stating it's a "dead platform" would be an ignorant argument because AM4 ends with Zen 3 anyway, so they're BOTH dead platforms which makes the entire argument/boon/point completely moot. The 10700K is still absolutely a MONSTER of a CPU and no one will refute that claim. This isn't comparing Pentium 4 to Athlon 64 or the 8370 to the 7700K where one is absurdly faster than the other, it's a 15%-ish lead from one to another. That's substantial, but when every game reaches over 100 FPS with an upper to mid-range, generation old GPU like a 2070 or a 1080 and you've got a 10700k, you will NOT see any real gain going to AMD's offering. It's only if you have the utmost HIGHEST end GPU that you will see any serious gains happening. It's silly to argue otherwise. No one is THAT sensitive to a 15-30 fps gain.

TL;DR

If you can find a 5800X at MSRP and also get a decent B550 motherboard also at MSRP or even on a 10-15% discount, do that. Otherwise, 10700k/Z490 (or whichever is the latest board that supports that CPU, I don't remember) will do JUST as well.

Is AMD faster? Yes. Are they faster by any amount that MATTERS to anyone with any sense of self? No not really.
No. Im one of those people that already invested heavily in an intel HEDT system before Threadripper and ryzen existed. You evidently have selective vision and run an AMD. I plainly stated ALL platforms are DEAD!! They are all at EOL. 1200 is the onlyu one that was just introduced and I'm placing my bet that it doesn't make it past 2 chip series. I dont pay any attention to tubers. Just more one sided opinions. WHAT I SAID IS I WOULDNY BUY ANYTHING RIGHT NOW. When Im ready to retire my rig, which wont be any time soon, Ill look to see what's on the market regardless of AMD or Inelt. Right now the market sucks.

Post up when you get into the 5GHz club and when your score looks like this crappy one, my 3 entries on this platform are posted with 3 different CPUs in my sig.

Or when your Ryzen tops 380K in Realbench.

Or when you can run a blender NO AVX offeset that looks like this on a Ryzen 5HGHz 18 cores. I eat 4.3 for breakfast and can run these 18 cores at 5.1GHz if I want too, just too warm for my tastes.

This CB sucks too.

Ive aleady stated Ive run both. They have be scraping it out for years. AMD 5950X is better per core at some things by like 5% (AMDs words, not mine) but they are still behind in gaming that prefers the clock counts. Like I said, AMDs dont clock for shyte.

Case closed for now until they duke it out some more and Im ready to send this POS machine to the scrap yard. Then Ill see who is doing what but not for some time.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Remember OP has a 3080 and a 7700K. With NVidia’s driver overhead, he’s probably seeing 2080ti levels of performance. Also, there is no rebar support. He doesn’t need an 11900K when a 5800X is more than adequate to unlock that 3080 performance.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
No. Im one of those people that already invested heavily in an intel HEDT system before Threadripper and ryzen existed. You evidently have selective vision and run an AMD. I plainly stated ALL platforms are DEAD!! They are all at EOL. 1200 is the onlyu one that was just introduced and I'm placing my bet that it doesn't make it past 2 chip series. I dont pay any attention to tubers. Just more one sided opinions. WHAT I SAID IS I WOULDNY BUY ANYTHING RIGHT NOW. When Im ready to retire my rig, which wont be any time soon, Ill look to see what's on the market regardless of AMD or Inelt. Right now the market sucks.

Post up when you get into the 5GHz club and when your score looks like this crappy one, my 3 entries on this platform are posted with 3 different CPUs in my sig.

Or when your Ryzen tops 380K in Realbench.

View attachment 2487115
Or when you can run a blender NO AVX offeset that looks like this on a Ryzen 5HGHz 18 cores. I eat 4.3 for breakfast and can run these 18 cores at 5.1GHz if I want too, just too warm for my tastes.

View attachment 2487114

This CB sucks too.

View attachment 2487116

Ive aleady stated Ive run both. They have be scraping it out for years. AMD 5950X is better per core at some things by like 5% (AMDs words, not mine) but they are still behind in gaming that prefers the clock counts. Like I said, AMDs dont clock for shyte.

Case closed for now until they duke it out some more and Im ready to send this POS machine to the scrap yard. Then Ill see who is doing what but not for some time.
Someone's got a case of elitist fanboyism goin' on methinks. :p It's fine to have an inferior gaming CPU. Completely fine. No need to get butthurt over it. c:

·
Old and Decrepit
2,057 Posts
Someone's got a case of elitist fanboyism goin' on methinks. :p It's fine to have an inferior gaming CPU. Completely fine. No need to get butthurt over it. c:
I’m not butt hurt in the least. I just showed you that your claim that I was spreading misinformation was spreading misinformation. Now you come back with more insults? I don’t care what anyone chooses to run, sometimes that’s based on a budget because you have a nagging wife and small children, just getting a career started and not making 6 figures. I don’t knock people for their choices. I don’t insult people either. Obviously you felt insulted because you can’t touch my numbers. That’s OK but if you want to insult people you need to go to Reddit. This is not the place for it.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts