Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a video of my Ryzen 3 2200g competing against my i7 7820x in system startup.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you need 22 seconds to get to the post screen, your system is broken.
Everyone with the Tuf Mark 1's had the same problem.

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think it has to do with Nvme drivers.

Also the X299 TUF might have a slow BIOS compared to a B350 board from Gigabyte.

Per hardware.info last year (before Spectre / Meltdown patches), things might have changed:
x299 TUF Mark 1 = 9.1 seconds to UEFI https://us.hardware.info/reviews/76...-review-battle-for-first-benchmarks-boot-time
It has a slow bios alright. Even my Fx6300 boots into windows quicker.

*It was slow like that before the Spectre/Meldown issues. I have all the fast boot options enabled in bios on the x299 board. I did not enable the fast boot options on my B350M board.

·
ObiwanShinobi
211 Posts
my board is garbage compared to x299 and the entire system boots in less than 8 seconds flat from power button on a budget 240gb ssd.

the more features a board has the longer the bios takes to post because it has to check way more circuits and functionality. things like onboard wireless radios, special RAID setups, dvd drive, better onboard audio, more GPU's, more complex cpu, more complicated chipsets, way more port headers on mobo to check, more M.2 drives to check for..theres just way more circuits to check, and even the length of electron flow lags it a tiny bit it all adds up. then add the fact that sometimes it has very secure crosschecking to make sure the bios isn't corrupt, checking the parameters of bios to make sure you didn't set some setting that will instantly fry your chips..the crappier the board is with less features these days achieves a faster post time.

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I agree that it makes sense that the more capabilities a board has the longer it would take to boot I don't think that explains or excuses it taking as long as the Tuf Mark 1 does to boot. Clearly there are issues that were never addressed.

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,474 Posts
My strix has the same problem. I mean it's not really a problem but kind of odd how slow it is to boot

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My strix has the same problem. I mean it's not really a problem but kind of odd how slow it is to boot
Yeah it's more of an annoyance. I know you got in early on x299 like myself. I wonder if the newer x299 boards still have the unusually slow post times.

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,474 Posts
Yeah it's more of an annoyance. I know you got in early on x299 like myself. I wonder if the newer x299 boards still have the unusually slow post times.
It's possible. I know my bios is also not the newest so not sure if that would help or not. don't feel like messing with a stable system again lol

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's possible. I know my bios is also not the newest so not sure if that would help or not. don't feel like messing with a stable system again lol
I'm on the latest bios for my mobo and post times have not improved. Yeah sometimes it's best leaving stuff alone but I've always hoped that a bios would come out and address the slow post times for this mobo. I don't see that happening by this point but never know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts