Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 860 is socket 1156, which does dual channel and is a 95W processor.

The 930 is socket 1136 and does triple channel and 130W.

Recommend. Thanks!

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the i7 930. Look forward to the new build soon. (This is for a friend)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamthebull
View Post

So the 860 is socket 1156, which does dual channel and is a 95W processor.

The 930 is socket 1366 and does triple channel and 130W.

Recommend. Thanks!

fixed. id go with the 860, you wont really notice the difference between the 930 and the 860 while gaming (assuming thats what you will be doing) and the overall cost might be cheaper, depending on deals.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by razr m3
View Post

fixed. id go with the 860, you wont really notice the difference between the 930 and the 860 while gaming (assuming thats what you will be doing) and the overall cost might be cheaper, depending on deals.

Thanks for the fix totally forgot!

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
if you live next to a microcenter the 950 setup would be cheaper b/c the processor would be much cheaper. I personally would go i7 950 or 930.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin0822
View Post

if you live next to a microcenter the 950 setup would be cheaper b/c the processor would be much cheaper. I personally would go i7 950 or 930.

I'd say the 950 more than anything. Amazing processor at 1366 board, very much worth it, very much do want. But I'm extremely happy with what I have ATM >
couldn't be happier 860 FTW!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have an 860, and it's great. 8xx Are better for gaming than the 9xx actually, because the latency is better due to the memory configurations. It's not a large difference by any means though, the deciding factor is usually the prices. People seem to feel the need to spend much more on the 1366 motherboards, sometimes CPUs as well, because they feel they are "future proof" which isn't much more true than any 1156 board. Intel doesn't appear to believe in future proofing, which is why in the end I went with the cheaper route but as good/better performance.

Regarding dual channel vs. triple, the benchmark gains are even very minimal, so you I can pretty much guarantee you wouldn't notice a difference in rl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts