Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Micro Center has both of these for 229.99. I am looking into building an all around rig, no gaming, multimedia with some photo and video editing at the hobby level, office use, internet, etc. What do you like and why?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Out of those two go for the 870, RAM kit & board will be a little cheaper.

Both of those sound like overkill for your needs though, if they have an i5 or comparable quad for cheaper that 229.99 that'll fit your needs better.

Edit: And welcome to OCN!

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
the microcenter by me has an i5-760 for 169.99, like bleedingroue said, it should be fine for your uses. It's still a quad core, and requires less watts than the i7-950. Pretty good potential for overclocking too.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts

Triple Channel RAM and upto 24x multi.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedingRoue View Post
Out of those two go for the 870, RAM kit & board will be a little cheaper.

Both of those sound like overkill for your needs though, if they have an i5 or comparable quad for cheaper that 229.99 that'll fit your needs better.

Edit: And welcome to OCN!
Thanks for the input and welcome! I have been lurking here for a while and decided to take the plunge. I am not even thinking of overclocking, but I was looking for a forum to get some good desktop info and this seems to be the one!

You're right about the overkill, but I want something that I can get several years out of. I have also done some research on the i5-760 and that should be fine too, Micro Center has them for 169.99.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
Those are all quality boards so it all comes down to preference and price. Personally I like the Gigabyte boards, used them in the last few machines and they're great. USB 3.0 & SATA III are a plus, but you can always get a PCI card for that later.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedingRoue View Post
Those are all quality boards so it all comes down to preference and price. Personally I like the Gigabyte boards, used them in the last few machines and they're great. USB 3.0 & SATA III are a plus, but you can always get a PCI card for that later.
What do you like for comparable Gigabyte boards? I just figured if I am starting from scratch that I may as well get a board with USB 3.0 and SATA III. Hopefully that will help me maximize the life of the system.

Cutting edge is always expensive, so I usually like to get something a level or two below top of the line but still good quality and future proof for a few years.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
What do you like for comparable Gigabyte boards? I just figured if I am starting from scratch that I may as well get a board with USB 3.0 and SATA III. Hopefully that will help me maximize the life of the system.

Cutting edge is always expensive, so I usually like to get something a level or two below top of the line but still good quality and future proof for a few years.
Here's a good one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128412

That's about as cheap as it gets (through newegg anyway) for a board with both USB 3 and SATA 3.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but is Sandy Bridge replacing 1156 only? Is there a new socket around the corner to replace 1366?
For now it is only replacing 1156. It will be replacing 1366 towards the end of 2011.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Airolden View Post
For now it is only replacing 1156. It will be replacing 1366 towards the end of 2011.
So the new socket will be 1155. What will the new X-58 socket be?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.