Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, my new 8700k is being detected as a 4 core 8 thread CPU by all monitoring programs such as CPUZ, HWInfo, and even Task Manager. Cinebench also reports it as 4 cores 8 threads and I get a pitiful score of 818, when all reviewers put the 8700k at around 1400.

So I believe this is a mobo issue, as there are other things not working with it. My Memory settings in the BIOS works, but nothing else. I can try to OC, and it doesn't work. I can try to limit the CPU to 2 cores, doesn't work and so on. Essentially nothing but the memory settings and fan settings stick when going into Windows. One weird thing is, when I DO try to OC and keep Vcore on Auto, I can see in CPUZ that it is applying that extra voltage(going from 1.0-1.1v stock to 1.35v) to the CPU but the clock speeds are all being reported as 3.7 still across the 4 cores being detected.

Even when resetting everything to defaults, Turbo Boost doesn't function properly. All the cores stay at 3.7Ghz all the time. They don't down clock when idle and no core boosts beyond that when under load.

What makes this even more bizarre, is that while Cinebench clearly shows my CPU is under performing, I am seeing gains in the few games I've tested. I've been playing Mass Effect: Andromeda and before on a 7700k at 4.8Ghz, I would often get bad drops in certain parts of the game, but now I've gained about 20-30 fps in those severe situations, and overall gained about 5-7 fps in most scenarios. I haven't tested many other games but the ones I have, they perform better than before.

I'm on the latest 0420 BIOS, and I tried updating from the launch bios to 0419 before this and that changed nothing.

My full specs are:

i7 8700k cooled by EK Predator 240
ASUS Z370-F
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp Extreme
32GB TridentZ RGB 4133Mhz(running at 3200Mhz currently)
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
2 NVME M.2 SSDs and 2 SATA 2.5" SSD's
Creative AE-5 Sound Card

Let me know if there's any more information I can give, I don't think I'm forgetting anything but I could be.

I've ordered a cheap Z370 board from Newegg to better test if this is an issue limited to my current motherboard, or an actual CPU fault. So that will be more telling, but for now, any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Go to device manager and uninstall all processors.

That or a while back you went into msconfig -> Boot -> Advanced options and set your number of processors to 4 manually and then forgot about it.

Gitgud.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkletom View Post

Go to device manager and uninstall all processors.

That or a while back you went into msconfig -> Boot -> Advanced options and set your number of processors to 4 manually and then forgot about it.

Gitgud.
No I didn't go into MS Config at any point, I have had various 8 core CPU's on this same windows install and they worked fine. This is a new issue as of installing my 8700k into my ASUS Z370-F.

I also checked MsConfig and it has 8 as number of processors.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enad1 View Post

No I didn't go into MS Config at any point, I have had various 8 core CPU's on this same windows install and they worked fine. This is a new issue as of installing my 8700k into my ASUS Z370-F.

Heh probably the mobo then since you said nothing cpu related works in Bios. Should've ordered a Asrock Z370 extreme4 it's cheaper and better than the Asus strix.

·
Registered
69 Posts
8700K & Z370-E here [email protected] RAM 3800 and all working great, bad mobo i'd say.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enad1 View Post

What if you unticked the box?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just checked with an i3-6100, if i ticked the box the no. of processors selectable is up to 4 for 2C/4T
By the same logic, if yours is set to 8 then you could have limited it to 4C/8T. See if there's 12 selectable, or untick the box (for default)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by misoonigiri View Post

I just checked with an i3-6100, if i ticked the box the no. of processors selectable is up to 4 for 2C/4T
By the same logic, if yours is set to 8 then you could have limited it to 4C/8T. See if there's 12 selectable, or untick the box (for default)
I'll give it a shot and report back.

Edit: Okay, tried it. There was no option to go higher than 8 but unchecking it fixed it! Honestly never would have thought that to be it, so thank you so much.

I'm going to make sure the other quirks in the BIOS are functioning as they should before I get too excited but this is great. Thanks again.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hey that's great news - that nothing's wrong only that ticked box being a troublemaker!
biggrin.gif
thumb.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts