Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I have a Asus Rog Strix GL703GE that has an I7-8750H and a GTX 1050TI. I recently started experiencing Thermal Throttling as my thermal paste had dried up. I replaced it with a cheap local one but that didnt solve it. I used throttlestop to undervolt it but still had temps between 90c - 96c while running cinebench r20. So i replaced my paste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and now have massive improvements with max temps reaching 79c. Here's the problem even though temps aren't going high my cpu still throttles to 3 - 3.1 Ghz. I read on the throttlestop forums that the 8750H when properly cooled reaches a score of around 3000 in cinebench r20 but mines barely able to reach 2000. Is there any way to fix this?.

I have attatched my throttlestop settings that i have used:

My Cinebench Scores:

Links reffered to while underclocking:

ThrottleStop Undervolt Profiles Pre-Made
Help undervolting i7 8750h Throttlestop
i7-8750H ThrottleStop help request (ASUS TUF FX505GM)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you just installed Windows 11, why not use the latest version of ThrottleStop?

TS 9.3 or TS 9.3.1 work well.

Turn the Log File option on before you run Cinebench. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. The log file will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log file to your next post or copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com

Your Cinebench score indicates some severe throttling. Post some screenshots of the updated version of ThrottleStop. When the test is running and the CPU is fully loaded, is EDP lighting up red across all three domains?

When you undervolt the Intel GPU, it is the iGPU Unslice voltage that must be set equal to the Intel GPU voltage. The core and cache voltages do not have to be set equal. If you set the cache to -125 mV, many users get better Cinebench results by increasing the core offset as high as -200 mV. I would only undervolt the core and cache until you find out what is going on. Leave the rest at +0.0000.

Make sure the core and cache IccMax are both maxed out to 255.75. Overall your settings do not look that unusual. Hopefully the log file shows some more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you just installed Windows 11, why not use the latest version of ThrottleStop?

TS 9.3 or TS 9.3.1 work well.

Turn the Log File option on before you run Cinebench. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. The log file will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log file to your next post or copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com

Your Cinebench score indicates some severe throttling. Post some screenshots of the updated version of ThrottleStop. When the test is running and the CPU is fully loaded, is EDP lighting up red across all three domains?

When you undervolt the Intel GPU, it is the iGPU Unslice voltage that must be set equal to the Intel GPU voltage. The core and cache voltages do not have to be set equal. If you set the cache to -125 mV, many users get better Cinebench results by increasing the core offset as high as -200 mV. I would only undervolt the core and cache until you find out what is going on. Leave the rest at +0.0000.

Make sure the core and cache IccMax are both maxed out to 255.75. Overall your settings do not look that unusual. Hopefully the log file shows some more info.
My Log file:
DATE TIME MULTI C0% CKMOD BAT_mW TEMP VID POWER2021-07- - Pastebin.com

New Throttle Stop Settings:

My New Cinebench score:

EDP only lights red in the Ring section.

The max i could push the voltage was till -172, after that i'd get a bsod with error code whea_uncorrectable_error thats probably related to the undervolting.

Can i push my score any further?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My Log file
The log file shows that the 45W TDP power limit is being enforced. Try checking the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box in the FIVR window. This can help some laptops get beyond this power limit.

The other thing to do is look in the Device Manager to see if your laptop uses the Intel Dynamic Performance and Thermal Framework driver. Brad shows how to remove this unnecessary driver and how to block Windows from reinstalling it.

When using ThrottleStop Limit Reasons, make sure that HWiNFO is not running in the background. Limit Reasons and HWiNFO are not compatible. When running Cinebench, you should see PL1 and PL2 power limit throttling light up red in Limit Reasons. Watch to see what ThrottleStop is reporting for power consumption when this happens.

The PL1 limit is being enforced to 45W and the PL2 power limit is being enforced at 60W. Hopefully one of the above tricks can get you beyond these limits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The log file shows that the 45W TDP power limit is being enforced. Try checking the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box in the FIVR window. This can help some laptops get beyond this power limit.

The other thing to do is look in the Device Manager to see if your laptop uses the Intel Dynamic Performance and Thermal Framework driver. Brad shows how to remove this unnecessary driver and how to block Windows from reinstalling it.

When using ThrottleStop Limit Reasons, make sure that HWiNFO is not running in the background. Limit Reasons and HWiNFO are not compatible. When running Cinebench, you should see PL1 and PL2 power limit throttling light up red in Limit Reasons. Watch to see what ThrottleStop is reporting for power consumption when this happens.

The PL1 limit is being enforced to 45W and the PL2 power limit is being enforced at 60W. Hopefully one of the above tricks can get you beyond these limits.
I think my laptop is locked to the 45W and 60W limits because no matter what i do it doesnt cross 60 at any cost. I changed the settings a lot but it still dosent seem to budge

I uninstalled DPTF but it didnt make a difference.

HWiNFO is not installed so i dont think it'll interfere with TS. PL1 lights up when the 45W limit gets enforced and PL2 when it cant go beyond 60W. I tried reducing the voltage to 1000mv in cpu core but still didn't make a difference. The max score cinebench gave me till now is around 2300.

Is this becuse of windows 11 and should i do a clean install of 10 or is this how Asus has designed it to be and i cant do anything about it?

Also Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out! :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
is this how Asus has designed it to be
This is not a Windows 10 or Windows 11 issue. Asus has likely programmed an embedded controller (EC) to force feed the 45W and 60W limits to the CPU. There is no easy way to get beyond these limits.

The same 8750H in a laptop with unlocked turbo power limits can score over 3000 in Cinebench R20. That is a lot of lost performance.

The advanced BIOS in some MSI laptops give you access to the IMON Slope and Offset variables. These allow you to trick the CPU into reporting less power consumption so full turbo boost can last forever. I have not heard of any Asus laptops with options like this in the BIOS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts