Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment I have 12GB of ram. I do occasionally use photoshop etc. and so I do sometimes manage to make use of more than 6GB of ram, but I was hoping to get the best OC I can manage and so I was wondering if you thought that for these purposes, would I be better of taking out 6GB or just adding some extra voltage to the QPI/DRAM voltage to try and negate the extra RAM?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,858 Posts
6 banks of RAM really stresses the IMC more and will hinder your OC. 3 banks is the way to go. I can't imagine using more than 6 GB of RAM in the first place, even if using Photoshop and stuff. Only reason I see is if you were actually doing some intense workstation stuff like that constantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Taking out 6gb of ram will increase your cpu overclock because the memory controller on the cpu won't have to work as hard. Unless you are going for some benching record or just a couple quick runs. You should just leave all 12gb of ram in there. Having lots of ram never hurts and the extra overclock you would get from your cpu would be negligible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by skatpex99
View Post

Taking out 6gb of ram will increase your cpu overclock because the memory controller on the cpu won't have to work as hard. Unless you are going for some benching record or just a couple quick runs. You should just leave all 12gb of ram in there. Having lots of ram never hurts and the extra overclock you would get from your cpu would be negligible.

True, I may just keep it in, especially since I've managed to get to 4.2 so far... which I think is pretty respectable on a C0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirektEffekt View Post
True, I may just keep it in, especially since I've managed to get to 4.2 so far... which I think is pretty respectable on a C0
That's more than respectable. It's a great OC. Your temps must be crazy no?

Wes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by lwesley
View Post

That's more than respectable. It's a great OC. Your temps must be crazy no?

Wes

Yeah, they get close to 90c but my WC parts just arrived so once I get that all set up it should be much more manageable
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top