Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide on the motherboard for my 70% completed build here.

So I want to do a dual boot Windows 7 with OSX. I kinda like the Asus Rampage II Extreme n it seems to be a better OCer as well as for gaming, but I couldn't find a guide to make it fully working in OSX. Plus not many people are using this for hackintosh. Whereas there are quite a few guides for Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, and I've seen some people gotten it fully working in OSX.

If you've had experience either of these two boards in OSX, what do you think?

Or is there another board you can suggest for good gaming, overclocking, and hackintosh?

(I've tried this thread on other forums but the responds are low, here seems to be a more active community. Hopefully you guys can help me out.)

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
actually i saw a post somewhere today for this board, but i just over looked it. let me go and see if i can find it again.

i can't seem to find the asus rampage one but i did find the one for the gigabyte x58-ud5

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd go with the Gigabyte, have you tried looking at the Bloodrage GTI?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by this n00b again View Post
actually i saw a post somewhere today for this board, but i just over looked it. let me go and see if i can find it again.

i can't seem to find the asus rampage one but i did find the one for the gigabyte x58-ud5
Damn... i got that gigabyte one bookbmarked too..
Just want to hear someone using rampage II extreme say.. Hell yeah it works.~!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
sry dude, i looked all around but i can't seem to find the page.

if i were you i'd stay away from the rampage board for the OS you plan on to run on it.

gigabyte boards are best in this case.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
I have the rampage II Extreme and am really impressed with it. I was able to run a 211 BCLK right off the bat. I never even tried higher since my CPU was maxed out. I currently run 4.2GHz with a 201 BCLK and x21 multi (yes the 21 multi works on this board with the i7 920). Here are my voltages at that clock:

It also handles my ram very well. I am running my 3x2Gb G.Skill 2000 Tridents at 6-7-6-18 1T with only 1.59v vdimm and QPI of 1.21v. And note that is also with a stable 4.2GHz OC.

Keep in mind I am not an extreme OCer, and I dont use LN or anything. I am just running air right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by this n00b again View Post
sry dude, i looked all around but i can't seem to find the page.

if i were you i'd stay away from the rampage board for the OS you plan on to run on it.

gigabyte boards are best in this case.
thanks a lot anyway... i might rather play safe this time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
I have the rampage II Extreme and am really impressed with it. I was able to run a 211 BCLK right off the bat. I never even tried higher since my CPU was maxed out. I currently run 4.2GHz with a 201 BCLK and x21 multi (yes the 21 multi works on this board with the i7 920). Here are my voltages at that clock:

It also handles my ram very well. I am running my 3x2Gb G.Skill 2000 Tridents at 6-7-6-18 1T with only 1.59v vdimm and QPI of 1.21v. And note that is also with a stable 4.2GHz OC.

Keep in mind I am not an extreme OCer, and I dont use LN or anything. I am just running air right now.
thats some impressive results, thanks for the info and pics
but i just hope its more compatible with hackintosh.. which it seem to be not the case at da mo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the HackinTosh game but I got it up and running in VMWare for starters on my win7 x64 based Rampage II extreme but now I'm having trouble getting it to load on physical drive. I figured out the boot instructions " -x -v busratio=20 cpus=1" and it installs but fails to boot. I'm using the Hazard 10.6.6i disc only with boot loader built in.

I'm willing to buy the gigabyte if it will or has been knon to make a better difference for HickinTosh buiolds overclocked. I got a i7 930 @ 4.30 and 12g Mushkin Redlines (3x4g) and my only concern is my PCI-E Creative X-Fi Titanium card. I dont like onboard so what PCI-E high end audio cards are HackinTosh supported? I do like M-Audio if they work on this project.

Thankx in advance!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts