Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I don't actually have a 920, but I'm asking on behalf of my friend. He currently has an OC'd 920 @ 3.6GHz with 1.3V, and he was getting idle temps of 38C on a Coolermaster V6GT. We're kind of curious as to why, though we have some speculation as during our mounting of the cooler we placed it on and took it off, despite only have a smidgen of AS5 on the cooler. The AS5 was spread evenly on the CPU before we attempted to put it on.
Also, in the mounting of the bracket, one of the screws broke, so we had to just grab another one from our box of screws to replace. I doubt it could have affected the cooling that much, but it's still a possibility?

Anyway, any advice/pointers on what could be causing the high temps would be appreciated.

Note: We only think its high because we're comparing it to a similarly clocked i5. However, he has turned HT off on his i7.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
What are his ambient and load temps? And what are the temps on the i5?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shozzking
View Post

What are his ambient and load temps? And what are the temps on the i5?

Load temps on his cores for the i7 were 80ish. The ambient temp is around 25C.

On the i5 I was getting 28C idle temps and 51C load temps with the same ambient temp. The i5's clocked at 3.7GHz with 1.175V. I know my temps are lower because i have a lower VCore, but how could his be so high? We're considering a reseat, but we're not sure where to go if that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
Put the AS5 on the CPU in a dot and see what the spread is like having the cooler set the paste. One possibility is that the replacement screw you are using isnt allowing the heatsink to seat properly.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by theonedub
View Post

Put the AS5 on the CPU in a dot and see what the spread is like having the cooler set the paste. One possibility is that the replacement screw you are using isnt allowing the heatsink to seat properly.

Hm, I guess we are going to try that. I'm hoping its not the screw, since we were like *** when the screw broke, and they only supplied those four screws. Anyhow, he's tinkering with his BIOS settings now to see if its any of those.
Will update when we/he does the reseat.

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
How long has it been since you put AS5 on the 920?

AS5 takes up to 200 hours to cure properly...

Also, with 1.3v, you could go higher than 3.6Ghz, at least to 3.8Ghz.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kcuestag
View Post

How long has it been since you put AS5 on the 920?

AS5 takes up to 200 hours to cure properly...

Also, with 1.3v, you could go higher than 3.6Ghz, at least to 3.8Ghz.

Eh, like a week for both of us.
He had it at 3.74GHz before, but it was somewhat unstable.
I think he just crashed his PC. I told him to IBT after he put it up to 3.8GHz with 1.3V.

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift Castiel
View Post

Eh, like a week for both of us.
He had it at 3.74GHz before, but it was somewhat unstable.
I think he just crashed his PC. I told him to IBT after he put it up to 3.8GHz with 1.3V.

Is it a C0? Or a D0?

3.6Ghz seems a lot for 3.6Ghz in my opinion, unless it's a C0.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Did he do a quick and dirty OC (vcore and baseclock only) or did he modify anything else? If you go into any of the motherboard owner clubs then you'll find lists of settings for certain speeds. Tell him to try one of those and see if it helped him get more stable.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

View Post

Did he do a quick and dirty OC (vcore and baseclock only) or did he modify anything else? If you go into any of the motherboard owner clubs then you'll find lists of settings for certain speeds. Tell him to try one of those and see if it helped him get more stable.

Um, I think he just adjusted VCore and Baseclock. I shall get him to look into that.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a C0.

I think he just did the usual, turning off Virtualisation, C1E, etc. He's got it at 3.5GHz stable, but he's still getting load temps of 67C.

I'm not sure if his case really makes a difference to temps, but for the record it's an ASUS Vento.

And what is CPU PLL? I have no idea what it is :S

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:

View Post

It's a C0.

I think he just did the usual, turning off Virtualisation, C1E, etc. He's got it at 3.5GHz stable, but he's still getting load temps of 67C.

I'm not sure if his case really makes a difference to temps, but for the record it's an ASUS Vento.

And what is CPU PLL? I have no idea what it is :S

His CPU is C0 which will generate a lot more heat and OC much less than D0 chips which is why your i5 has way lower temps.

• Rep+
Reactions: Swift Castiel

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

View Post

His CPU is C0 which will generate a lot more heat and OC much less than D0 chips which is why your i5 has way lower temps.

Fair enough. Thanks for the input! Rep to you!

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Yep, like I said first, you had to check wether it was a C0 or a D0.

Now we know why his temps are that high.

I say keep it at 3.6Ghz. He won't need anything above that for gaming, even at stock would be more than enough

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kcuestag
View Post

Yep, like I said first, you had to check wether it was a C0 or a D0.

Now we know why his temps are that high.

I say keep it at 3.6Ghz. He won't need anything above that for gaming, even at stock would be more than enough

Haha

He wanted bragging rights for highest clock

Ah well, he's happy with 3.6GHz. but at least we know why his temps were sort of high.

rep to you as well

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Haha

He wanted bragging rights for highest clock

Ah well, he's happy with 3.6GHz. but at least we know why his temps were sort of high.

rep to you as well

I think all of us in this forum are OC'ing for the e-Peen...
This is Overclock.net!

If he wants 4Ghz or 4.2Ghz, you can always tell him to sell it and get a cheap used D0 version

Glad I was able to help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts