Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems OC'ing my i7 920, if I even pinch my QPI, the system literally just turns off and I need to restore it to stock settings.

By increasing my QPI by around 20 to get 2.8ghz(SUPER MILD O/C), I have this problem, so going any higher is out of the question.

I am going to assume that my MOBO is the problem. I have the Gigabyte EX58 UD3R, the cheapest x58 out there, with an F1 Bios, the oldest version. If it is the MOBO's problem, I can't even flash the bios because my keyboard doesn't work when I open up Q-Flash(It work's on the bios settings though). If there is another way to flash my bios please share.

I can't think of anything else besides a bad mobo, any ideas? Might as well O/C my system now that a Dark Knight cooler should be coming in sometime soon.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Have you tried just increasing your FSB rather than messing about with settings you don't need to touch until your Oc'ing more than 3.8

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
He shouldn't need to flash anything, he should be able to hit 3.4 on stock cooler and stock voltages etc.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay it is definitely my bios/mobo. System went into a infinite reboot cycle after doing another mild OC to 3.2 ghz. This time I did it with a 19x multiplier. Such a pain, had to remove the CMOS battery and trouble shoot so many things -_-

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ram is a good guess too. Most of the time when I couldn't even POST it was because my ram timings had gotten reset, or because the mem mulitplier was putting my ram above the rated frequency. Make sure you set the timings manually to your ram's listed specs. The mobo default does not usually match that.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i have the same motherboard and i use to have 1333 ram and it was just alot harder to get all the ratios to match. if you're trying to run 4ghz. i would set your multiplier at 20x200. i put my ram timing at 8x which would make it an even 1600. even at 6x your ram would be running at 1200 which is higher than your rated 1066. and overclocked ram almost never runs stable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts