Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I recently finalized all the parts for my system (well, the psu is a future upgrade, but it's what I've got for now). It's all put together, and passes prime95 tests like a champ. I can get it to run at 4.2GHz with HT on at 1.27 vcore, with everything else set to auto. Auto sets everything else except for cpu pll to the lowest possible voltage. Here's the settings in my BIOS for 4.2GHz:
21x200
CPU uncore frequency (mhz) (3205 MHz (16x))
CPU clock skew: 0ps
memory settings: 8-8-8-24, with tRFC:74
cpu vcore:1.25625v
cpu vtt:+150mv
cpu pll vcore:1.8v
dimm voltage: 1.65v
dimm dq vref: +0mv
qpi pll vcore: 1.1v
ioh vcore: 1.1v
ioh/ich i/0 voltage: 1.5v
ich vcore: 1.05v
pwm frequency: 1067KHz
All of these voltages, with exception to cpu vcore, are auto. They pass a prime95 8+ hour test. I've got turbo mode and HT on. My idle temps are around 20C, and my load temps were around 42C on prime95 for my 4.2 Ghz OC.

K, so here's my dilemma: I want to try for a 5GHz OC, but to get a feel for the settings, I tried a 4.5Ghz OC, and no matter how much vcore I put, I cannot even get a stable boot into windows 7. I'm definitely new to OCing, but I know I have a rig that can handle the heat, as I've got a feser 480 rad dedicated to cooling my i7, and a black ice gtx 240 rad cooling my mobo/gpu-both rads being on separate loops. I fear it may be the timings on my memory, or something to do with my memory, and I have no experience doing a serious OC on memory. Perhaps I'm wrong though...any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
To get 5GHz on the 920, even with the 21x CPU multiplier you'd be looking at a 238 BCLK.

I know it's not the answer you're looking to hear, but it's not gonna happen.

The best you're gonna do is work your way up from the stable 4.2GHz. You won't be able to make 300MHz jumps and expect to be able to nail down any of the settings correctly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, do I just increase vcore, or are there other things I can adjust to get a stable OC?

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
Unless you get a classified you won't be getting 5ghz no matter how much vcore. You can try 4.5 but you will need to bring up tje pll and vtt voltage and more tjan likely you will need to bring your memory over 1.6v. Just make sure that memory is within. 5 v of the vtt. You can start with a 1.40vtt voltage for 4.5ghz.

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
I'm on my cell so my spelling is crap lol

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man
View Post

Follow the guide here:

Same basic principles.

yes the intel guilde will help you get to 4ghz ^_^ getting past 4ghz is the hard part took me about a month to find the right settings to get 4.3 stable
id say tho anything over 3.8ghz is overkill for 24/7 daily uses

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by III-Kill-ZonE-III
View Post

yes the intel guilde will help you get to 4ghz ^_^ getting past 4ghz is the hard part took me about a month to find the right settings to get 4.3 stable
id say tho anything over 3.8ghz is overkill for 24/7 daily uses

Is never overkill.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just trying to get to 5ghz for bragging rights. Honestly, it really is unnecessary, but it'd just be nice to say I have the fastest CPU in my school, as far as I'm aware. I'll try upping the pll and vtt, and see what I get.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by manolith View Post
Unless you get a classified you won't be getting 5ghz no matter how much vcore. You can try 4.5 but you will need to bring up tje pll and vtt voltage and more tjan likely you will need to bring your memory over 1.6v. Just make sure that memory is within. 5 v of the vtt. You can start with a 1.40vtt voltage for 4.5ghz.
Hey, for that 1.40vtt, did you mean 1.40v for the pll voltage? the max vtt on my board is +775mV, and that selection is in red, which seems to indicate it might be dangerous...

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is as simple as this, you wont get 5Ghz.

It does seem as if you have a nice chip so if I were you, I would hold on to that as you are able to have a stable 4.2Ghz OC at fairly low voltages.

It is a high possibility that you can get 4.3Ghz stable and it is possible that you can get 4.4Ghz stable.

Try in 100Mhz steps and underclock your RAM while you do it so that you know it isn't the RAM that is failing the OC

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts