Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
A little. Reseat your cooler and lower voltage. See if that drops load temps.

I only get 39 idle/63 load on 3.8.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeenAgeReneGade2316
View Post

i used to get load temps of 159F and i realize that i have a diff cpu but after i lapped it, my load temps are only 114F

So the irony of this statement is thus:

We silly Americans don't use the metric system. Most of us can't convert centigrade to fahrenheit in our heads and we don't know the difference between a kilometer and a mile. However, when it comes to PC language, I can't really think of CPU temps in fahrenheit. This is nothing against you, Teenagerenegade, I just never realized it until you posted your temps.

Crazy.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzogreg
View Post

So the irony of this statement is thus:

We silly Americans don't use the metric system. Most of us can't convert centigrade to fahrenheit in our heads and we don't know the difference between a kilometer and a mile. However, when it comes to PC language, I can't really think of CPU temps in fahrenheit. This is nothing against you, Teenagerenegade, I just never realized it until you posted your temps.

Crazy.

ok ok ill do it for you, 70C load before and 45C load after

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Temps are a little high given your voltage, probably can bring them down a bit by reseating the cooler (assuming it is the one in your sig). But they aren't too far off, the i7s run hot

·
Iconoclast
30,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaifudin
View Post

Dear OC'ers

I overclocked my 920 to 3.5ghz and its stable.
The question is, is this temperature high or is it normal?

Which test is that? large FFTs or Blend?

What are your ambients?

Quote:

View Post

i used to get load temps of 159F and i realize that i have a diff cpu but after i lapped it, my load temps are only 114F

25C drop in temps from lapping alone is not possible. Something else must have changed.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless
View Post

Which test is that? large FFTs or Blend?

What are your ambients?

25C drop in temps from lapping alone is not possible. Something else must have changed.

not possible....really? well call the guiness book cause it happened, i even made a thread about it

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Temps are ok, i7's tend to run a bit warmer than other CPUs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimejhn
View Post

Temps are a little high given your voltage, probably can bring them down a bit by reseating the cooler (assuming it is the one in your sig). But they aren't too far off, the i7s run hot

Thanx for the answer. How can I reseat the cooler? How can I bring temps down? I have a Cooler Master V8 installed.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Temps are a fairly high bro, my chip never gets above 64*C on prime with HT on even at 4.0ghz 1.29v vcore with my TRUE and 38mm ultra kaze, you might try to reseat your cooler and see if that helps, you also could have just got a chip that runs pretty hot, try the reseat and let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
at full load overclocked to 3.8ghz an i7 has around 250w of energy going through it creating A LOT of heat, your temps aren't bad but I wouldnt want to go over 80-85 full load regardless of how long you are stress testing for

reseat and a good TIM like mx-2, Mx-3, icd7 will also help your cause

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ok ok ill do it for you, 70C load before and 45C load after

Haha. I hope I didn't offend you or anything. I was just making a statement of how it's ironic that I seem to forget we are not on the metric system when referring to CPU temps.

I looked at your post first and stood aback, thinking your temps had hit above 100, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaifudin
View Post

Thanx for the answer. How can I reseat the cooler? How can I bring temps down? I have a Cooler Master V8 installed.

Just pull it back off and clean up the old stuff, then put you a squirt of thermal paste right in the middle about the size of a peice of rice, set your cooler down on it and spin it 45* to the right (it don't really matter which way), and spin it back into mounting position, clamp it back down and boot up to see what the temps look like... What thermal paste are you using? I highly reccommend OCZ Freeze, OCZ Freeze = better temps and no cure time for the thermal paste!

·
Registered
460 Posts
What stepping is your processor, by the way? The C0 stepping will run hotter than the D0 if I'm not mistaken (as it requires more voltage to stay stable). I also didn't see what voltage you're running in the first place.

Let us know both these things so we can narrow down your options.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts