Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any input? Can a mildly overclocked i7 930 and prob stock 480 plus mobo NB/SB blocks (Everything EK water BTW) could be handled by a Thermochill PA120.2 with 4 Scythe Gentle Typhoon in push/pull config with Laing D5 with EK D5 X-Top mod. All suggestions welcome

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
It'll work, but not very efficient. I had the same question. You could use the dual rad for your 480 and get a single rad for your i7 like a upgraded H50.... unless you're gonna waterblock ur NB/SB, then you need at least a dual for those with your CPU. that's what I'm gonna be doing. Hope all works well for you.

Welcome to OCN!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@KOBALT the H50/H70 is out due to mounting conflicts unfortunately

@fastsite Its not completely constructed yet so overclock and voltage have not been determined

·
Village Idiot
2,395 Posts
Can it cool it? Yes.
Will you have great temps? No.

What GTs? AP-15?

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Here is some data from skinnee labs:

Now, let's first assume that the 120.2 radiator will dissipate exactly 2/3 of the power as the 120.3. Furthermore assume that your GPU + CPU together put 450w of heat into the loop.

At 1000 RPM & 10C Delta:

350w*0.66 = 231w

Now divide into the delta = 23.1W/C delta.

450/23.1 = 19.5C water-air delta. That is totally unacceptable, you're going to have to use faster fans.

At 2800 RPM & 10C Delta:

867w*0.66 = 572w

Divide into delta = 57.2W/C Delta

450/57.2 = 7.9 C water-air delta. This is totally reasonable and where most people aim to get their air-water delta.

So that rad would totally have enough cooling power, provided you used 3k RPM fans. My suggest would be to get two Ultra Kaze 3k RPM fans, and configure them to run based on the temperature of the water. When you are idling you should be able to have the fans running around 1000 RPM, at which point they are pretty quiet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@bluphoenix stronger fans would be...? Triebwerks or something?

@charliehorse55 think i get it but the math is somewhat confusing. Do you know where i could find a detail walk-through for deltas and all the brain heavy stuff?

@pewpewlazer yes they are AP-15's

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cheev View Post
@charliehorse55 think i get it but the math is somewhat confusing. Do you know where i could find a detail walk-through for deltas and all the brain heavy stuff?
The amount of power a radiator can dissipate is

Watts = kD

where k is a constant relative to the radiator and fan speed, and D is the temperature difference between the water and the air. Thus, if the air temperature is 25C, a radiator with 35C water flowing through it will dissipate double the heat of that of the same radiator with 30C water. This is because the temperature deltas would be 10C and 5C respectively.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts