Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so, today I put my new evga 758-A1 3x sli motherboard into my atcs 840, put in the I7 930, and went to install my NH-D14. After a lot of brain racking I came up with a really tight fit, and I'm not sure if its safe.

The coolers heatsink touches both another heatsink and a bracket on the motherboard tray. Attached are the images showing the clerance. Please tell me if it's safe to hook it up.

Thank you for your help

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Yea, I heard about this actually happening to another member here with the same board. The D14 is a very large heatsink. You might be fine with the way it is now, but you won't be able to put all the fans on, will you? I say if it bugs you enough, just return it/sell it and buy a smaller heatsink like the Venomous X.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'd just take a pair of (tin) snips and remove the bottom few fins. Should stop hitting other heatsinks then. It would probably take all of 5 minutes....But if you don't want to cut anything, just do what tipsycoma said - get another cooler.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
I would not hook it up. I used that board for a little and didn't want to risk damaging the VRM heatsink thing.

If you look at the compatibility list straight off of Noctua site they say "Installation only in vertical position with the heatsink rotated by 180°. Please make sure to realign the anti-vibration dampeners and the fans as well." I don't even know what that means because it obviously doesn't fit right in neither horizontal or vertical mountings. Maybe they mean mount it sideways or something?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Error 404
View Post

I'd just take a pair of (tin) snips and remove the bottom few fins. Should stop hitting other heatsinks then. It would probably take all of 5 minutes....But if you don't want to cut anything, just do what tipsycoma said - get another cooler.

Good luck!

^ And that's a good idea too

• Rep+
Reactions: unf4z3d

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too late to return, but yes, I can fit both fans on, just have to unclip and reclip a bit higher to clear the other heatsink.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked the noctua guide (which is awesome btw) and it has 2 different orientation options. ATM imusing orientation B with a fan either removed or shifted to the other side, so it's still ok according to the guide.

And, yes, if needed im willing to cut it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts