Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my friend recently completed his first watercooling loop on his computer and, while installing the loop, he plugged in just the pump to his computer, which had everything BUT the watercooling fully installed, and accidentally made the bonehead mistake of turning on his computer to get the pump to circulate the fluid, and do one last check for leaks. So, as he was doing this, he completely forgot that his CPU was left inside its socket running without any type of heatsink, since the block was obviously outside of the case
doh.gif
After about 10 seconds or so, the computer shut down. He can turn it on again, no problem, only now it doesn't do anything, not even post. His CPU was overclocked to 4GHz, and as such had the TM function turned off.

I'm not exactly sure what to tell him, since I have tried just about everything I can think of. Is it posible that his CPU got so hot that it simply died? I'm almost positive Intel has other safety precautions in place against this type of thing, but I can't be too sure. Thanks guys.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
probably dead, 10 seconds a long time for a hot cpu. I fried an athlon xp in about 2 seconds from the heatsink coming off while messing with it.

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
If TM was off, chances are that it's burnt out. TM is what shuts down the computer in case of extreme temperatures

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn...that's not going to be what he'll want to hear. As for why the TM function was off it was because he was overclocking it. Every review out there told him to turn it off as well as some other features. I asked him the same thing. Well, any last minute ideas to try before I deliver the bad news??

Only thing I can't figure out is how the computer wouldn't just simply BSOD and shut off that way before actually frying the chip itself.
confused.gif
Could've sworn Intel had some other precautions in place for this sort of thing. Thanks for the responses so far guys.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I sure do. Any thoughts on the BSOD question though? Technically shouldn't it BSOD before it gets so hot that it breaks itself? Just a thought.

Well, luckily i7's aren't AS expensive as they used to be, relatively speaking.

EDIT: Just read about something called THERMALTRIP for Intel CPU's, and from what I can tell it isn't the same thing as the TM Function...hmmmm

2nd EDIT: It isn't the CPU, just started a new thread about the motherboard instead to start fresh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts