Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm an eager beaver, first i7 I've ever seen in my life and it's mine
. Anyway, I want to know the chances of getting to 4.0GHz at least, since every chip I've seen that's a D0 seems to be able to do 4.0 almost. Anyway, I just want to know some limits for when I get my R3E on Thursday so I don't kill anything on second powerup. The system I'll have is in my sig. Could someone give me a basic run down of the voltages I can adjust and their limits if I want this chip to not die fast? Also what are good temperatures to stay in. Sorry if these questions are vague, I have no experience with i7s.. Thanks!

The batch is 3002A839 if it matters if I can get any input on this.

·
Registered
505 Posts
well i mean... lol are you looking for a benchmarking set up or a 24/7 set up, very different imo.. im currently running

but when i finish my benches ill likely go to 3.8ish

with HT and some good ram, you will never see 100% of 3.8 in most peoples' use

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Getting to 4ghz will be fairly easy, especially with that motherboard
If you haven't already, google around and read up on some overclocking guides. In addition to overclocking tips (i7s are much different than the 775 cpus), they'll tell you what voltages and temperatures are considered safe or normal.

• Rep+
Reactions: LemonSlice

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
191 X 21 shouldn't be too hard. I got there quick & dirty with 1.32 and could of fine tuned that voltage down a bit but didn't bother. I just got my validation and started working on 200 X 21 which I havn't been stable at yet and is really taking a voltage & QPI hike just to get more than a few minutes into prime. I consider 3.8 (181 X 21) my 24/7 and really seems to be a sweet spot with nice clock speed without taking very much juice. I'm at 1.24 and a lot of people are getting lower than that on 930's.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...920-930-a.html
That is a pretty good guide. Also xmisery's low voltage settings make a nice template to start with and can be found here : http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...-e-thread.html

Lets see if I remember right Intel says 1.375 for vcore ceiling. I've seen it pushed well past that. I get itchy over 1.4.

QPI 1.35 is ok. 1.4 "might" be ok

Of course there are a few other voltages that you can play with. I wouldn't worry too much. If the bios on your Asus board is anything like mine it will give you a run down of the accceptable ranges in bios.

I don't like temps higher than 80C (100% load) but it should shut itself off at 100C before causing any damage.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is definitely a 24/7 rig, I'm not much of a benchmarker, I just want good everyday performance lol. I just hope my board's safe ranges aren't in an LN2 bencher's perspective, heaven knows this board was made for that
. And many thanks doe answering my questions!

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~sizzzle~ View Post
4.4 @1.294 !! Nice. Is it stable ? Not that it really matters LOL I doubt I could even get the validation. Sure wish Microcenter still had the 920's in stock.
Sure is. It's a link (screenshot of 50+ runs in LinX and validation).

Anyways, LemonSlice, the R3E (like all ASUS motherboards) has an option in the bios to limit the range of voltages you can set. This means you can't accidently select stupid-high voltages (like 2v+ vcore
), although it will still let you go above 24/7 safe settings so its still a good idea to check out a few guides/reviews.

If you still have some questions that google can't answer, I/we'd be more than happy to answer 'em for you

·
Registered
560 Posts
Anyone know how good the batch # 3002A839 is? My freaking dad just bought an i7 without letting me come with him.. I had a sheet of good batches to pick from too..

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrimstar View Post
Anyone know how good the batch # 3002A839 is? My freaking dad just bought an i7 without letting me come with him.. I had a sheet of good batches to pick from too..
I got this batch, so far hit 4.01 182x22 @ 1.306v stable.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonSlice View Post
I got this batch, so far hit 4.01 182x22 @ 1.306v stable.
Did you try 21x, because using 22x is kinda weird? Do you think you can go to 4.2 with the chip, because [email protected] flat is pretty high.. haha I just wanted to know because my dad only bought a CPU.. and I was hoping to wait for Sandy bridge!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hey man, are you still clocking this baby?

I just got a 3002A839 as well and I'm curious how you're doing. I'm currently working for 4.2 @ 1.375v, although CPUZ is showing that the chip is only drawing 1.33-1.4v while running prime95.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, haven't had time recently but this batch takes big amount of voltage compared to the better chips. Haven't had time to go above 4.0GHz stable, but here was a suicide I managed to get at 1.36-1.37v.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts