Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
If I remember correctly its was ~ 1.35v for Nehalem. I used 1.33v for my i7 920 to get 4.4GHz back in the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reducing multiplier to 19x i get 3.4ghz with even less temps almost below 72 degrees, Is better that or to reduce vcore?

·

13,017 Posts
1.45v is the upper limit for these tank cpus.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKnightx View Post

Reducing multiplier to 19x i get 3.4ghz with even less temps almost below 72 degrees, Is better that or to reduce vcore?
You do not need that much voltage for that kind of OC.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
You want to run the lower voltage possible that still gives you stability. If those maximum temperatures were under load, you should be fine. I don't remember how sensitive Nehalem processors are, but Westmere didn't like uncore voltage over 1.35V. That killed more processors than core voltage.

·
Registered
584 Posts
To be honest, with the price of these chips I'd run them on whatever voltage I could cool

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
I mean, at this point in time are you really concerned with how much longer it lasts? It is already like 8 years old? I can't imagine you should be concerned about degradation this late in the game. In 2 more years phones will be faster than it. Honestly, i'd let it ride at that voltage now.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
I wouldn't run that processor at any voltage. I would get a 6-core Westmere and enjoy a cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Honestly? These CPU's are on the edge of being worthless (I see them go for around e15-25) so I wouldn't really care about Vcore, they are also extremely hard to degrade/kill. Just watch the temps and OC at as high as you want.

I ran dual X5670's (SR2!) on 4.4GHz somewhere around 1.4V. Nothing wrong happened to them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts