Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for a new 1366 CPU. I'm looking at either a i7-950 or the Xeon W3520.

They're basically the same except for the 950 having a multiplier of 23 and the W3520 having a 20 and hopefully a better binning and less vcore need.

The W3520 is a i7-920 D0 no?

Price wise they're only a couple of $ apart and it's basically down to 3.06 GHz @ x23 Vs. 2.66 GHz @ x20 (with the hopes of 4.0+ GHz @ <1.3v)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
XEON ALL THE WAYYYY!!!!!!! the W3520 is better silicon than the 950, the 950 is the same silicon they used for 930, they knew it could do 200 more mhz, its just a marketing ploy. most people dont have good luck with them.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
W3520 as all server chips are higher binned

• Rep+
Reactions: Villosa

·
Registered
732 Posts
I say you get a machine gun and see which one lasts longer, but really, depends what you're doing. If your getting it for gaming and bragging, get the i7-950 because no one will know WDF your saying when you say "W3520". All other reasons like benching, W3250 for sure

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Get the Xeon. Ive used 920s, 930s, W3520s and W3530s. In addition to the Xeons being higher binned and overclocking better very reliably you also get MUCH better support from intel. You call them and say my Xeon is giving me trouble they take you a heck of a lot more seriously than if you say my i7 is acting up.
A Xeon is not just re branded i7. Its the same architecture but it uses workstation quality components and fabrication as opposed to consumer level. Its a totally different animal.
Weather or not you need the horsepower is another thing entirley.
But if you want one of them get the W3520.

• Rep+

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I game a lot...I mean a lot...and anything that can run cooler and use less volts is something I rather have.

It's true, I am leaning heavily towards the Xeon but I wanted some opinions about the multi at 20 instead of 23 so on and so forth.

Keep it coming though, I always appreciate more opinions.

Thanks!

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Definitely the w3520. Just make sure your motherboard supports it.

• Rep+

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PyreSpirit View Post
I say you get a machine gun and see which one lasts longer, but really, depends what you're doing. If your getting it for gaming and bragging, get the i7-950 because no one will know WDF your saying when you say "W3520". All other reasons like benching, W3250 for sure

Anyone who doesnt know what a W3520 is not someone worth bragging to anyway.
And the Xeon will beat the i7 if they are clocked the same in everything I can think of.
Gaming included. Im pretty sure they have better IPC...which is due to the component quality.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Villosa
View Post

Yeah I game a lot...I mean a lot...and anything that can run cooler and use less volts is something I rather have.

It's true, I am leaning heavily towards the Xeon but I wanted some opinions about the multi at 20 instead of 23 so on and so forth.

Thanks!

the W3520 has a 21x multi with turbo, so its just like a great clocking 920.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
I've had great expereinces with two W3520 chips (and got lucky with an i7 920 D0... but it was a hot chip). Both did 4.0GHz with 1.23GHz... nothing too special. but they both scaled well! One did 4.2GHz with 1.288v vcore while the other did 4.2GHz with 1.29v vcore (really close to each other). And that was with HT on. Both chips were from the same batch too.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not confident that I'll be happy with a W3520.

+rep to all.

Big thanks to ericeod since I can't rep ya!

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks!

Quote:

View Post

+rep to all.

btw the 23x multi is magical. it allows for higher clocking because you are no longer fighting a high BCLK on the board. IMC and QPI can be lower making it easier to nail 4.4Ghz+

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Quote:

View Post

+rep to all.

The 3520 may not OC as high as a 950 but It will certainly perform better per clock cycle. And even if it doesnt OC quite as high, the levels you will get with it coupled with the IPC, temps, bin, and overall quality more than make up for a lack of easy 4.3+GHz capabilities. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you hit 4.2 on it.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm only going for 4.0Ghz realistically with any chip lol. I only try 4.2+ if it can but won't upset me if it doesn't reach that level. As long as the OC drives my 2 480s then I'm happy.

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I'm only going for 4.0Ghz realistically with any chip lol. I only try 4.2+ if it can but won't upset me if it doesn't reach that level. As long as the OC drives my 2 480s then I'm happy.

Then the Xeon is for you. It will blaze up to 4GHz without trouble and will stay there with great temps and great speed. Its not an i7 so you cant brag quite as much...or can you...?

You "My tower has a Xeon W3520"
Person 1 "Psh thats nothing, Mine has an i7 930"
You "Oh. You dont have a SERVER PROCESSOR with better IPC, temps, and binning that has been overclocked to 4GHz in your rig?"
Person 1 "...k..."
And commence the other person QQing

Also, Like I said before, If they dont know what a Xeon W3520 is, then they probably aren't worth bragging to anyway...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts