Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the unlocked multiplier and the better samples which give you a bit of higher OCing potential, what are the technical advantages of the Extreme over a 920 clocked to the same speed?

I see the QPI is different, but what the hexxor does that doez?

Anything else?

Oh, yea... PRICE!!!

THX!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kayawish24
View Post

what is the advantage of i7 950 over i7 920????????????????????????????????????

there is none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now calm down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wth!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
They're bound to overclock slightly higher, like 0-200MHz higher on air... which isn't worth at all considering the price.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagurtoast
View Post

as if you would spend an extra 1.5grand AUS HERE or like 1k USD for bragging rights

im more likely to be bragging that i payed less and got the same result

----^ this

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by skarm
View Post

They're bound to overclock slightly higher, like 0-200MHz higher on air... which isn't worth at all considering the price.

Thanks, what about wit' wota cullling?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diabolical999
View Post

Bragging rights?

Ok, yes. Brag that you have money to burn and the lack of tact to realize it might be offensive atm. Unless you hang out with people that wipe their butts with $20 cause it makes them feel superior.

Personally I like to brag about achievements of a different kind. Finding the answer to a question that helps someone, or many, inspiring someone, or many... and when I am relaxing things like getting a 10:1 KD with people with pings equal to mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_dalder_I
View Post

Quote:

View Post

what is the advantage of i7 950 over i7 920????????????????????????????????????

there is none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now calm down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wth!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

View Post

their must be some differennce between i7 920 and i7 950 ? i also have i7 950 overcloked @ 4ghz on 1.35v

It proves you are an inexperienced overclocker who enjoys overpaying for items. i7 920 D0 could do that easy on 1.35v.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagurtoast
View Post

as if you would spend an extra 1.5grand AUS HERE or like 1k USD for bragging rights

im more likely to be bragging that i payed less and got the same result

Hahaha, nicely put.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Quote:

View Post

my HT is ON thats why it take more Vcore

I7 920 (D0) will do 4GHz at about 1.25v with HT on, I have have seen some with even much less volt core.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Extreme for extreme overclocking !!1!
About the 950 dude.
Yeah.
Well.
No
sorry

·
Registered
44 Posts
i do agree with everyone here that the 920 is way better in terms of value and performance, but to answer ur question, "what are the advantages of the 965 over the 920" is basically the flexibility. it's for the extreme enthusiast who's looking to squeeze the very last ounce of performance of their chip. with an unlocked multiplier, it gives u the advantage to try out different settings to reach ur goal of the highest overclock.

now, is it worth 5x the price of the 920? for most people no. logically, no. but if u don't care about price and don't care that you can only get about 200Mhz higher overclock than the 920, then by all means, go for it.

you'll probably get the most benefit of the 965 if you go to extreme cooling shooting for the overclock record. but if ur not shooting for the record and u don't have an extreme cooling set up, go for the 920, d0 stepping, and get the best value.

hope this helps

1 - 20 of 24 Posts