Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after looking around i've concluded that if i want to upgrade i will be heading toward a 4790k as it's a huge single core performance upgrade and should be an upgrade overall for most of my application while still breaking even with some of the multitasking programs. One of the reasons i considered this over the 5930k and the haswell platform is because I am not looking into crossfire/sli anymore and the cost of the platform involved was substantially more and I couldn't move my miracle ram over which i still consider to be very good with high head room for overclocking.

From all the benchmarks I've seen the 4790k should technically be an upgrade across the board vs my 4.2 970 at stock. Was just wondering what everyones input on this is before I purchase.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will mostly be for gaming and streaming. Outside of that probably rendering work and coding for games.

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you can, wait for the DDR4 version of Skylake, late 2015, if you can't, then it's worth the upgrade, just dont drool when skylake comes out.

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,528 Posts
I always wanted an i7 970 years ago but at that time I couldn't afford it. I say keep it. it's still a beast

1,523 Posts
I havent even bothered OCing my 970 long term and its run just fine, havent bogged it down yet. I guess i should OC it, but i havent found the need to yet. When i get another 780 (soon), ill probably join the 4ghz club again just for kicks.

Still though,, DEM 6 CORES YO. Lol it means almost nothing, but bro.. DEM 6 CORES. DEM 6 CORES. LOLOLOL:p

Im kind of drunk right now. I love xmas break.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, i wonder if it is my gpu or my cpu that is lacking for games like heroes/wow. I'm running at 2560x1440 and can't maintain 60fps with a 290, but i've also heard those games are cpu bound and not gpu.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistax View Post

Hmm, i wonder if it is my gpu or my cpu that is lacking for games like heroes/wow. I'm running at 2560x1440 and can't maintain 60fps with a 290, but i've also heard those games are cpu bound and not gpu.
Same for me. I can't maintiain 60 at times in WoW, Heroes of the Storm, or other heavy CPU based games like MMOs anymore with a 920 and a 290. If you play those types of games the upgrade would definitely be worth it.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
cant u try for 4.5 - 4.6? if you can keep it.. if not get a 4790k or 5820k

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'd overclock it for all its worth and see if that buys you any more fps. Then either add a second gpu or upgrade to a newer one. If that doesn't get you where you want to be then upgrade platforms.
Check out this chart and the paragraph above it, I think it is pretty useful.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Cheers!

p.s. Either Haswell platform is pretty smokin' btw

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:

I went from an i7 920 (4.0GHz) to 2500K, saw it more of a side grade but lower temps and higher oc (about the same in streaming). Jumped to a 2600K from a 2500K was pretty much the same in gaming but helped a lot in streaming/encoding, jumped to 4770K and even if you clock the 4770K at 4.2GHz, cpc performance would roughly be equivalent to a 2600K at 4.7-4.8GHz, and a 4770K clocked at 4.5GHz is roughly 2600K at 4.9-5.0GHz so you can see the difference in generations. The 4790K start at 4.0GHz and boosts to 4.4GHz so you're going to see a good bump over a 970 in terms of cpc even though its 6 core vs 4 core. You'll also see better power efficiency and better heat output (if delid), non-delid it would probably be similar to X58 CPU heatput lol.

I stream on twitch with the 4770K and works fine even at higher slower compression rate. The most you will see is platform upgrade, better chipset, sata 3, memory oc, pcie 3.0, usb 3.0, m2 and whatnot. I don't have a 1440 display, I run [email protected] but Heroes and WoW run just fine and streaming at a good quality. I mostly do 1080p/45fps/3000 bitrate w/ fast compression and looks pretty good
wink.gif
and this is also the settings I use for Far Cry 4. And mind you I only have my CPU at 4.2GHz for low voltage/heat which runs faster and cooler than my 2600K at 4.5GHz
tongue.gif

I would rate an i7 970 -> i7 4790K as a good upgrade and an i7 970 to i7 5820K a better upgrade, but like you mentioned earlier about the additional costs and ram, which is understandable.
thumb.gif

Though like every computer or technology upgrades, something new will come out within the next 6 months. So early next year with AMD and nVidia's flagship GPUs and a few months after that Intel's new CPU/platforms.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by UZ7 View Post

I went from an i7 920 (4.0GHz) to 2500K, saw it more of a side grade but lower temps and higher oc (about the same in streaming). Jumped to a 2600K from a 2500K was pretty much the same in gaming but helped a lot in streaming/encoding, jumped to 4770K and even if you clock the 4770K at 4.2GHz, cpc performance would roughly be equivalent to a 2600K at 4.7-4.8GHz, and a 4770K clocked at 4.5GHz is roughly 2600K at 4.9-5.0GHz so you can see the difference in generations. The 4790K start at 4.0GHz and boosts to 4.4GHz so you're going to see a good bump over a 970 in terms of cpc even though its 6 core vs 4 core. You'll also see better power efficiency and better heat output (if delid), non-delid it would probably be similar to X58 CPU heatput lol.

I stream on twitch with the 4770K and works fine even at higher slower compression rate. The most you will see is platform upgrade, better chipset, sata 3, memory oc, pcie 3.0, usb 3.0, m2 and whatnot. I don't have a 1440 display, I run [email protected] but Heroes and WoW run just fine and streaming at a good quality. I mostly do 1080p/45fps/3000 bitrate w/ fast compression and looks pretty good
wink.gif
and this is also the settings I use for Far Cry 4. And mind you I only have my CPU at 4.2GHz for low voltage/heat which runs faster and cooler than my 2600K at 4.5GHz
tongue.gif

I would rate an i7 970 -> i7 4790K as a good upgrade and an i7 970 to i7 5820K a better upgrade, but like you mentioned earlier about the additional costs and ram, which is understandable.
thumb.gif

Though like every computer or technology upgrades, something new will come out within the next 6 months. So early next year with AMD and nVidia's flagship GPUs and a few months after that Intel's new CPU/platforms.
yeah i'm just trying to gauge where i want to go at the moment. When i went from a Q6600 to a i7 970 that was huge and at the time everything was cheap especially ram. =P I feel like the samsung ram would go to waste as i got 6x4gb for around 50 during the microcenter deal a while back. If the 2011-E is the way to go, I will probably wait until summer when intel retail edge roles around again.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:

yeah i'm just trying to gauge where i want to go at the moment. When i went from a Q6600 to a i7 970 that was huge and at the time everything was cheap especially ram. =P I feel like the samsung ram would go to waste as i got 6x4gb for around 50 during the microcenter deal a while back. If the 2011-E is the way to go, I will probably wait until summer when intel retail edge roles around again.
Or you can just sell the ram to me
rolleyes.gif
haha, but yeah if they're the Samsung Magic ram I've used them for quite a while, 1866 during my Z68/Z77 platform and 2133 on the Z87. If you can wait, i'd wait, try to see if you can overclock a little more. But regardless, right now anything would be an upgrade, its just whether you want a good, better, or best upgrade which would be on par with pricing as well
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by UZ7 View Post

Or you can just sell the ram to me
rolleyes.gif
haha, but yeah if they're the Samsung Magic ram I've used them for quite a while, 1866 during my Z68/Z77 platform and 2133 on the Z87. If you can wait, i'd wait, try to see if you can overclock a little more. But regardless, right now anything would be an upgrade, its just whether you want a good, better, or best upgrade which would be on par with pricing as well
biggrin.gif
Haha yeah, It's a hard choice. The z97 + 4790k seems like a really solid upgrade while 5930k is also an upgrade will cost a bit more. Skylake is coming out in late 2015 and that is another upgrade.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm after reading some more, seems like if i can hold out until summer. That is when skylake comes out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts