Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it in today, doing some preliminary testing to get a feel of what it runs like and overclocks like. Stock VID on this i7 975 is 1.218 at 3.33 Ghz with HT, I didn't bother to stess it at that and jumped straight to 4.4 Ghz. Once I find an overclock I like, I will stabilize it but for now, 5 runs of IBT will do to get a feel of it before I keep going.

So far 4.4 with all stock voltages except a Vcore bump to 1.30 and Vdimm to 1.65 with Vtt +25Mv. Ill do some runs with HT later but I have no interest in HT right now nor does it benefit me.

Only 1 BSOD so far

i7975
SLBEQ
3945A987

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81
View Post

higher

ib4i7920 > all

LOL

inb4 "975 are a waste of money and 920s OC the same"

riiiight
I can't complain. My goal is 5.0+

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Air cooling should be good up until 90C-ish comfortably IMO, after that I wouldn't wanna run it any longer on air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All,

First I should say this is a graduation gift (College) from my family. I'm not at all experienced with overclocking except using tools like EasyTune from Gigabyte on my previous systems.... So please excuse my ignorance. I've searched and haven't really been able to find OR understand if I have found it so here goes.

The rig:

EVGA X58 3X SLI (EK Waterblocks Full Board Cooler)
Intel 975 Extreme D0 (Swiftech Liquid Cooling)
12GB DDR3 2000 Memory (Kingston) 6 X 2GB
2 X EVGA 295GTX Co-Ops with EK Top and Bottom water blocks (SLI)
1 X EVGA 9800GT (PhysX) Air Cooled
Thermaltake Armor+LCS

Can someone give me the settings I need to adjust to get to 5ghz ? I'm trying to read and understand how each variable impacts the overclock, but being new to this it's a bit overwhelming.

Thanks,
SeriousGamer

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81
View Post

5ghz is only obtainable with Phenom I's.

I did that on my 754 athlon 64

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just did some more tweaking

Vcore is 1.432V, Vtt is +175MV, Vram is 1.72V, IOH is 1.30V, I;m sure I can probably do this at 1.4125 V since it was passing 3 tests fine at 1.4125 but always getting a BSOD around there until now that I bumped the Vtt.

Seriousgamer, please click the link in my signature for how to get to 4.0 ghz, then once you read that, you should have a pretty good general knowledge as to what to do to attain higher clocks.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
I know you're just doing quick stability tests but I would advise you to at least run IBT with maximum memory.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do it on Very High or custom (enough to leave around 400MB for the system or it gives me the "Windows is out of Resources" error)

I usually do 5 quick on High then if it passes, go for Very High and play some games.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriousGamer
View Post

Hello All,

First I should say this is a graduation gift (College) from my family. I'm not at all experienced with overclocking except using tools like EasyTune from Gigabyte on my previous systems.... So please excuse my ignorance. I've searched and haven't really been able to find OR understand if I have found it so here goes.

The rig:

EVGA X58 3X SLI (EK Waterblocks Full Board Cooler)
Intel 975 Extreme D0 (Swiftech Liquid Cooling)
12GB DDR3 2000 Memory (Kingston) 6 X 2GB
2 X EVGA 295GTX Co-Ops with EK Top and Bottom water blocks (SLI)
1 X EVGA 9800GT (PhysX) Air Cooled
Thermaltake Armor+LCS

Can someone give me the settings I need to adjust to get to 5ghz ? I'm trying to read and understand how each variable impacts the overclock, but being new to this it's a bit overwhelming.

Thanks,
SeriousGamer

Search the intel cpu forum here and look for i7 overclocking guides to get you started.

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts
congrats! looking forward to seeing how far it goes! keep going!

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88EVGAFTW
View Post

82C at 76F room temp, a bit warm in here but it's doing fine. Going up for sale soon.

when you say going up for sale soon, how soon?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts