Overclock.net banner

I7 9750H OC?

27317 48
Hi everybody, I heard a lot that you can’t overclock an I7 9750H (laptop) I managed to get in advanced bios and that’s what I found there (see pictures below) I know about thermals, let’s forget about them, I want to know how far can I go with this OC if my thermals are ok?(haven’t done any CPU OC before) Please help!! Thank you!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
i overclocked my laptop with this cpu using throttlestop (get it on techpowerup)... pretty straight forward app

·
LTSC for life crew
6,557 Posts
Hi everybody, I heard a lot that you can’t overclock an I7 9750H (laptop) I managed to get in advanced bios and that’s what I found there (see pictures below) I know about thermals, let’s forget about them, I want to know how far can I go with this OC if my thermals are ok?(haven’t done any CPU OC before) Please help!! Thank you!
Is this a Clevo or Sager laptop? Because those are the only two laptop brands I know of that actively allow overclocking and design in extra cooling headroom for that purpose.

Unless it's one of the high end MSI laptops. I've heard talk that those have overclocking capabilities as they are the Z390 chipset.

·
Still kinda lost
3,845 Posts
The 9750 can't be overclocked but after months of tests there are three things you can do.

1- oc the ram (managed to get 3470mhz on my Samsung 2666 ram that came stock in my ge75)
2- use throttle stop and undervolt the CPU and cache by 125mv , raise the boost time and change the wattage limit of pl2 to 75w (if the cooling will allow)
3- if throttle stop wattage is locked you can do it in the boost to fake that the CPU is pulling less wattage which will give it an extra 30w above the 45w limit.

I was able to get around 15% performance and much better low 1% frames after doing all of that .

I am outside now, I will be able to send you all the links after I get home.

·
LTSC for life crew
6,557 Posts
Never say never. There is a utility that allows overclocking on locked skylake chips way beyond the typical BCLK OC.

And I've heard talk of some specific models allowing a moderate amount of overclocking on locked i7's.

·
Still kinda lost
3,845 Posts
Never say never. There is a utility that allows overclocking on locked skylake chips way beyond the typical BCLK OC.

And I've heard talk of some specific models allowing a moderate amount of overclocking on locked i7's.
The 9750h can't be overclocked period.
If you are able to oc the 9750h you can make a fortune selling that info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everybody, I heard a lot that you can’️t overclock an I7 9750H (laptop) I managed to get in advanced bios and that’️s what I found there (see pictures below) I know about thermals, let’️s forget about them, I want to know how far can I go with this OC if my thermals are ok?(haven’️t done any CPU OC before) Please help!! Thank you!
Is this a Clevo or Sager laptop? Because those are the only two laptop brands I know of that actively allow overclocking and design in extra cooling headroom for that purpose.

Unless it's one of the high end MSI laptops. I've heard talk that those have overclocking capabilities as they are the Z390 chipset.

It is an MSI GE75 Raider with rtx 2080.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The 9750h can't be overclocked period.
If you are able to oc the 9750h you can make a fortune selling that info.
Have you seen the pictures I attached ? You can clearly see I can OC the CPU, just don’t know how far I can go

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 9750 can't be overclocked but after months of tests there are three things you can do.

1- oc the ram (managed to get 3470mhz on my Samsung 2666 ram that came stock in my ge75)
2- use throttle stop and undervolt the CPU and cache by 125mv , raise the boost time and change the wattage limit of pl2 to 75w (if the cooling will allow)
3- if throttle stop wattage is locked you can do it in the boost to fake that the CPU is pulling less wattage which will give it an extra 30w above the 45w limit.

I was able to get around 15% performance and much better low 1% frames after doing all of that .

I have the same laptop. As you can see on the pictures I attached I can OC the cpu, I know CPU OC is not an option for GE75 because of the overheating until you have some kind of cooling solution, that’s what I’m working on)

·
Still kinda lost
3,845 Posts
The 9750h is totally locked, the laptop is not the problem + the ge75 with liquid metal after all the cpu+ram tweaks gamed at mid 70s

·
Still kinda lost
3,845 Posts
Go with these settings in the bios

Set AC Loadline between 5~10, this one decides how much the CPU should increase the voltage.
Set DC Loadline between 5~10, this one decides how much the CPU should decrease the voltage.
Set IMON Slope to 50
Set IMON Offset to 31999
Set IMON Prefix to "-", This is important, if you set it wrong you'll throttle like no tomorrow.
Set VR Current Limit to 928
Set TDC Enabled to Disabled
Set TDC Current Limit to 0

Follow this guide for the ram OC

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...advanced-version.823065/page-13#post-10898033

This is a throttle stop guide for the 9750h

And this

For the gpu undervolt

And this

I promise you if you do the imon slop trick + undervolt for the cpu and OC your ram + undervolting the gpu as in the guide you will have an amazing performance but I will still recommend LM application to take full control of the GE75 but its really dangerous.

There is CMOS reset hole under the laptop but as I remember pressing the power button for like 30 secs will reset the CMOS

·
Facepalm
11,386 Posts
Have you seen the pictures I attached ? You can clearly see I can OC the CPU, just don’t know how far I can go
I'll say it in a way that you can understand.
The 9750H is COMPLETELY multiplier LOCKED upwards. it can NOT be pushed past the max turbo multiplier for that SKU. Period. End of story.
The 9850H *CAN* be overclocked by multiplier partially. Not sure how much, either +3 or +4.

This same restriction applies for the 8750H vs 8850H (which are the 8th gen versions of these chips).

The options you saw in the BIOS (which I"m sure you unlocked by left alt, right control, right shift, f2) are *generic* AMI options that are included as a baseboard. Even my GT73VR Titan has those settings. Your 9th gen laptop simply has a few extra/new settings for the newer chipset. You'll find that a bunch of settings don't even do anything.

In Overclocking Performance Menu->Platform Voltage overrides, there is a setting "DC Loadline Override". This is "Loadline Calibration" in mOhms, which people on desktop boards are used to seeing in "Levels"/"Modes", etc. I have NOT seen this setting hooked up to any register on a laptop. People have tried setting it to 0.1 mOhms and compared it to 2.1 mOhms and there was no difference in temperatures (this is the only way you would know that it is doing something, since there is no vcore sensor in these laptops--they all use "VID"--the override voltage setting changes VID, not vcore, and override voltage is still adaptive mode, therefore Vcore is based only on VID and the AC Loadline value, even on fixed voltage. The DC Loadline (not the same thing as DC Loadline Override) setting in Internal VR Settings will affect the droop on the CPU VID, but vcore is not affected by this option as it's only linked to AC Loadline.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you seen the pictures I attached ? You can clearly see I can OC the CPU, just don’️t know how far I can go
I'll say it in a way that you can understand.
The 9750H is COMPLETELY multiplier LOCKED upwards. it can NOT be pushed past the max turbo multiplier for that SKU. Period. End of story.
The 9850H *CAN* be overclocked by multiplier partially. Not sure how much, either +3 or +4.

This same restriction applies for the 8750H vs 8850H (which are the 8th gen versions of these chips).

The options you saw in the BIOS (which I"m sure you unlocked by left alt, right control, right shift, f2) are *generic* AMI options that are included as a baseboard. Even my GT73VR Titan has those settings. Your 9th gen laptop simply has a few extra/new settings for the newer chipset. You'll find that a bunch of settings don't even do anything.

In Overclocking Performance Menu->Platform Voltage overrides, there is a setting "DC Loadline Override". This is "Loadline Calibration" in mOhms, which people on desktop boards are used to seeing in "Levels"/"Modes", etc. I have NOT seen this setting hooked up to any register on a laptop. People have tried setting it to 0.1 mOhms and compared it to 2.1 mOhms and there was no difference in temperatures (this is the only way you would know that it is doing something, since there is no vcore sensor in these laptops--they all use "VID"--the override voltage setting changes VID, not vcore, and override voltage is still adaptive mode, therefore Vcore is based only on VID and the AC Loadline value, even on fixed voltage. The DC Loadline (not the same thing as DC Loadline Override) setting in Internal VR Settings will affect the droop on the CPU VID, but vcore is not affected by this option as it's only linked to AC Loadline.
Tried it myself, as you said no difference at all. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts

how did u do all that specially that my bios is super locked

·
Still kinda lost
3,845 Posts
how did u do all that specially that my bios is super locked
The BIOS settings are only applicable to MSI laptops with Advanced BIOS unlocked.

But the videos can be used on any laptop.

• Rep+
Reactions: anas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Awsan so i have an ge63 with a i7 9750h qnd 2666mhz i try to overclock my ram and it work on 2933mhz and i cant get over that i was trying to see that ram overclock guide but that website isnt working so can you help me here a bit please and sorry for my english i hope you understand what i trying to say

·
Still kinda lost
3,845 Posts
The problem is Notebookreview forums are down for good.
I was able to hit 3466mhz on my Samsung Dimms on the GE75 but with +100mv on the uncore.

You can check Desktop Ram OC guides but remember to keep your expectations in check as you can't raise the Dram voltage.

If you are overclocking for extra performance I would recommend trying to get an external monitor to bypass Nvidia Optimus.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts