Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dances with a Screwdriver
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What decent motherboard can support this? Or can any socket 1366 do? I'd love it if there's bios update already available or mobo already supports i7 980x out of the box. No Asus please, been seeing too many problem with them and their poor RMA service.

I've been thinking of replacing my old second PC (P4 s478) with something that is actually made this decade. Right now it comes down to either a cheap build using sub-$100 AMD X4 CPU or giving up pizza for the rest of the year and going for something that can out perform even top of the line PC sold at any brick & motar stores (Best Buy, Walmart, etc)

·
Registered
939 Posts
You don't need an 980x. Even if your an encoder, just wait.

They gonna drop in price eventually or better stuff will be released.

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,566 Posts
To answer your question; from what I've read, the ASUS PT6 and EVGA Classifieds handle them well.

now, as to whether or not you need it... my view is if you have the dough, go for it,

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
If you're going to get a Classified , make sure you have a 920 on hand because the stock bios does not support the 980X. My friend just bought a Classy + 980X and can't boot with it.

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jshay View Post
If you're going to get a Classified , make sure you have a 920 on hand because the stock bios does not support the 980X. My friend just bought a Classy + 980X and can't boot with it.
thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious Porkchop View Post
You don't need an 980x. Even if your an encoder, just wait.

They gonna drop in price eventually or better stuff will be released.
Here we go again.......
Everything drops in price eventually, and better things will always be released...but how long do you want to wait? The 980x will be their flagship model for more than a year. Thats a VERY long time in the computer world.

Quote:
FROM ANANDTECH:

Like Bloomfield, Gulftown may end up having a relatively long lifespan at the top of the charts. Below is Intel's current desktop roadmap through the beginning of 2011. You'll notice that when Sandy Bridge arrives, it's going to be limited to two and four core configurations. Performance per core will improve, but it doesn't look like we'll see an ultra high end version of Sandy Bridge until at least Q2 or Q3 of next year.

I know you said you were afraid of Asus, but I reflashed mine with a new bios and the 980x runs just fine. I know many people who have been having good luck on the high end Gigabyte boards as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts