Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering is the 980x worth $1,000? Also which is better from the 980x or 970 extreme which is $40 more.

I am wondering because I'm planning on spending $2,500 on a build and wanna have good stuff on this desktop.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
in most tasks and games you wont notice the difference.
but in threaded tasks and threaded games(bfbc2 and a few others) you will be thankful its there.
it shaved 4 1/2 hours off a large map compile in hammer.
hammer and the source sdk scales very well depending on how many hardware threads you have.

and rendering hd movies which i do allot, the 6 cores and 12 threads cut those times by allot.

but if your only playing games, you dont need it. unless you want it of course.

in my situation, yes. it was worth a grand. but thats a question you must ask your self.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I don't do video editing or much of gaming but I will probably start soon. I'm buying a good $2,000 camera and then a camcorder. I'm probably gonna start doing a bit of hard gaming as well.

All I want is a future proof desktop where I don't need to replace my parts later on and sell it to buy something better. I could spend from $2,000-$3,000 on this system.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phatal View Post
I was wondering is the 980x worth $1,000? Also which is better from the 980x or 970 extreme which is $40 more.

I am wondering because I'm planning on spending $2,500 on a build and wanna have good stuff on this desktop.

i7 980x doesnt worth $1000
still most of the application is not optimised for 6core

i7 970 is not an extreme edition cpu,still it has a price tag of $900(approximate)
so i7 970 also doesnt worth $900

so best upgrade will be a i7 950($298)
its price has been cut down from $500 to $300 by intel,
i7 950 is probably the best value for money.

So,my recommendation is i7 950
spend the rest of the money on a good mobo like
evga x58 classified 4way sli/asus rampage3 extreme

&
good gpu like
gtx 480/hd5870

hope my suggestion helped you

i7 950 is more than enough for gaming & video editing,& its a future proof upgrade

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I should go ahead and buy a i7-950 which I could buy for $250 around my way and a rampage extreme for $370? Maybe later if I need to upgrade there will be something new.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yes

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phatal
View Post

So I should go ahead and buy a i7-950 which I could buy for $250 around my way and a rampage extreme for $370? Maybe later if I need to upgrade there will be something new.

I concur with this statement. A 950 is a very good deal price/performance wise. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Quote:

View Post

yah,
right choice,
go for i7 950,
rampage3 extreme costs $355 at new egg,
u can do 4 way sli at 8x in this mobo,
evga x58classified 4way sli costs $380 at new egg,
u can do 4way sli at 16x in this mobo,

so evga x58classified 4way sli is a better option

·
Performance is the bible
7,189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aniket
View Post

yah,
right choice,
go for i7 950,
rampage3 extreme costs $355 at new egg,
u can do 4 way sli at 8x in this mobo,
evga x58classified 4way sli costs $380 at new egg,
u can do 4way sli at 16x in this mobo,

so evga x58classified 4way sli is a better option

R3E doesn't support 4 way sli, and the classifed 4 way is a very large motherboard, which doesn't fit to most cases.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quote:

View Post

No I don't do video editing or much of gaming but I will probably start soon. I'm buying a good $2,000 camera and then a camcorder. I'm probably gonna start doing a bit of hard gaming as well.

All I want is a future proof desktop where I don't need to replace my parts later on and sell it to buy something better. I could spend from $2,000-$3,000 on this system.

Future proofing is a myth. No matter what you buy today, it will be obsolete in < 3 years.

If your only reason for splurging now is so you don't have to tomorrow, my advice is to only get what you need for now, and you can always get something better when your need arises.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
R3E doesn't support 4 way sli, and the classifed 4 way is a very large motherboard, which doesn't fit to most cases.
this guy is wrong
rampage3 extreme supports 4 way sli
but for that a 4way sli bridge is needed.

One of my father's friend owns rampage3 extreme & he runs 4 gtx 285 in 4way sli

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aniket
View Post

this guy is wrong
rampage3 extreme supports 4 way sli
but for that a 4way sli bridge is needed.

One of my father's friend owns rampage3 extreme & he runs 4 gtx 285 in 4way sli

The board on it's own does not support 4-way SLI. But with the available extender, which includes NVIDIA Nvidia NF200 bridge chips, it can run 4 video cards (at full x16 to all PCI-E).

ASUS ROG Xpander enables 4-way SLI on Rampage III Extreme

Quote:

ASUS ROG Xpander is simply a PCI-Express daughter card for the ASUS Rampage III Extreme. The circuit board comes with four PCI Express x16 slots and two Nvidia NF200 PCI-Express bridges. These circuits take the 32 available PCIe 2.0 lanes of the Intel X58 chipset and expand them to 64 lanes, divided across the four PCI Express x16 slots on the daughter board. In the end this enables you to connect four graphics cards with maximal PCIe x16 bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Sounds pretty good, when it´s time to upgrade it probabably going to be with Sandy Bridge or its successor.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostleader
View Post

Sounds pretty good, when it´s time to upgrade it probabably going to be with Sandy Bridge or its successor.

Agreed, go with a i7 950. I went from a Xeon W3520 (Server i7 9320 D0 equiv) running 4.2GHz to a i7 980x running 4.0GHz, and I see no difference in my day to day use. I was able to get the CPU for $776 at Fry's, then sold my W3520 for $250, so it was much cheaper for me to upgrade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts