Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchasing soon, not all from this site.

Total is actually about £1090 when I order certain parts from other sites.

Critique and assess!

Thanks in advance
Reflux

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
You could get rid of the sound card and get a second hard drive for RAID0. Unless you really don't wanna use onboard.

Also you could save a few quid and get the HX650 which will also be enough for your setup.

You're going retail on teh 930 but also buying a replacement heatsink. Go for OEM and save £20, why are you going for the 930 btw? Why not the 920 and oc it.

Regards

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

You could get rid of the sound card and get a second hard drive for RAID0. Unless you really don't wanna use onboard.

Also you could save a few quid and get the HX650 which will also be enough for your setup.

You're going retail on teh 930 but also buying a replacement heatsink. Go for OEM and save £20, why are you going for the 930 btw? Why not the 920 and oc it.

Regards

Sound card is required, I have a pair of Audio Technica A900's that I've been 'Running on RealTek' for a bit too long.
Hard drives I'll upgrade along the line as I need space, I have a Velociraptor for my OS so RAID won't be required.

Newer tech, reviews say it OC's better.
Mostly getting retail for the box, I'll need it for resale.

I was considering the HX650 too, although if I were to get another 5850 along the line the HX750 is probably a better idea to save money.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
the 650 will still run xfire 5850's with room to spare tbh.

Also RAID0 will outperform your raptor, but its up to you.

You did say criticise. lol

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I say go OEM and get the 920. It's most likely a good revision and by the time you sell the 920, it'll have dropped even further in price. You'd probably get more if you can Validate 4+GHz to your potential buyers!

On that note, even though I LOVE the H50, I'd say ditch that in favor of a VERY nice Aircooling setup!

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
The H50 will normally outperform the higher end aircooling systems. But also since its a sealed unit you don't need to bleed the system at all.

Also in order for it to outperform the competition you'll need a push pull system on the rad with some high performance fans. Noctua's are brilliant, and with a fan controller almost silent

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
The H50 will normally outperform the higher end aircooling systems. But also since its a sealed unit you don't need to bleed the system at all.

Also in order for it to outperform the competition you'll need a push pull system on the rad with some high performance fans. Noctua's are brilliant, and with a fan controller almost silent
I disagree. I'd say it outperforms Upper Mid-Range Aircooling, but doesn't touch the HIGH-end Aircooling. Even with Push-Pull its limited. The radiator is too small, the pump is lackluster, and if you start to upgrade it, it's more $$ than piecing together a loop off of the *OC.net For Sale* section.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
If you want water cooling, do it right. That's all I gotta say about this build. Oh and get a i7 920 if it's over 20 Euro cheaper.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

the 650 will still run xfire 5850's with room to spare tbh.

Also RAID0 will outperform your raptor, but its up to you.

You did say criticise. lol
PSU Calculator says Crossfire 5850's will run with the rest of the system on 598W minimum load.

Yes but I don't want to drop the sound card for it, remember

And in response to all of that up there: this is what convinced me to go H50.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Ok

It will either out perform or match the megahalems, TRUE, Mugen and a number of other high end air coolers.

PLUS you don't have this huge H/s hanging off your motherboard. Which I get paranoid about when it come to my motherboard bending. ALSO its a lot quieter, and you can hit 4.0ghz on a 920 and not go above 69c

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Ok

It will either out perform or match the megahalems, TRUE, Mugen and a number of other high end air coolers.

PLUS you don't have this huge H/s hanging off your motherboard. Which I get paranoid about when it come to my motherboard bending. ALSO its a lot quiet, and you can hit 4.0ghz on a 920 and not go above 69c
I believe in real-world testing, it will only outperform them if in the RIGHT environment. That is, the CASE airflow has to be really good, and outside temps need to be a little lower.

YES, it IS quiet though! I do love that. But once I turn my Kaze's up...

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Thats why you should have gone for the noctua high performance fans and you can make those pretty much silent and not take a temprature hit with a fan controller.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by arbalest View Post
I believe in real-world testing, it will only outperform them if in the RIGHT environment. That is, the CASE airflow has to be really good, and outside temps need to be a little lower.

YES, it IS quiet though! I do love that. But once I turn my Kaze's up...

It's the Megahalems that needs good airflow. The H50 will work better with better airflow than the Megahalems, at least that's what that review proves.

Quote:

Thats why you should have gone for the noctua high performance fans and you can make those pretty much silent and not take a temprature hit with a fan controller.
They do look like ass, though. Static pressure is a bit meh on them aswell.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
It's the Megahalems that needs good airflow. The H50 will work better with better airflow than the Megahalems, at least that's what that review proves.
Yes, but thats what I was saying about having good CASE airflow as well. You may not think it, but Ambient temps REALLY affect the H50's ability to cool.

I have an H50 (sig), and the only reason I still have it, is I'm too far into it to really consider doing anything else, other than a REAL watercooling loop.

Also, I got it for $48 initially, so I figured why not?!

You're looking at 70+40 (on average, maybe more or less) for H50 + FANS. Not to mention other fans to upgrade your case fans, so like I said, you might look at REAL WATERCOOLING! Your i7 deserves it!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Yes, but thats what I was saying about having good CASE airflow as well. You may not think it, but Ambient temps REALLY affect the H50's ability to cool.

I have an H50 (sig), and the only reason I still have it, is I'm too far into it to really consider doing anything else, other than a REAL watercooling loop.

Also, I got it for $48 initially, so I figured why not?!

You're looking at 70+40 (on average, maybe more or less) for H50 + FANS. Not to mention other fans to upgrade your case fans, so like I said, you might look at REAL WATERCOOLING! Your i7 deserves it!

Already at the peak of my budget. Not adding £200-£400 more onto that. I actually can't. I have a few S-Flex's for it which I'm using in this OEM piece of crap so should be fine for fans, however.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
You see,

This thread is an epic thread, every one is putting forward good arguments and no one is turning into an asshat.

To the OP, you've seen what you have available. You need to finish making your decision and purchase.

although, a full loop is more work and you have to maintain it. lolz

• Rep+
Reactions: arbalest

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
Already at the peak of my budget. Not adding £200-£400 more onto that. I actually can't.

ISSUE SOLVED
<-- You can piece together a loop for $100 easy! There is some CHEAP UK deals as well all the time!

• Rep+
Reactions: compuman145

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

You see,

This thread is an epic thread, every one is putting forward good arguments and no one is turning into an asshat.

To the OP, you've seen what you have available. You need to finish making your decision and purchase.

although, a full loop is more work and you have to maintain it. lolz
LOL! Thank you kind sir!

I LOVE my H50, don't get me wrong, but it can't stand up to WC'ing
BUT, since we are the way that we are, don't be surprised if I drop another $100 on a radiator and fans, or vmod the pump! lol

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

ISSUE SOLVED
<-- You can piece together a loop for $100 easy! There is some CHEAP UK deals as well all the time!
Must..not..buy..used..must..have..warranty...... arargahrgahhG!!hgrahrghag!!

Off to play some MW2 for a bit, I'll let this thread stew a bit get some more crits and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reflux View Post
must..not..buy..used..must..have..warranty...... Arargahrgahhg!!hgrahrghag!!

Off to play some mw2 for a bit, i'll let this thread stew a bit get some more crits and suggestions.
lmao!!!

*edit* thanks for the rep Compuman! Now I can maybe sell my QX6850 to someone who'll put it under LN2 and see what she can do

*edit 2* guess not.. need 35 reps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts