Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a quad q6600 when it first came out... paid like 1,000.00 for the cpu.
I upgraded to a q9650 to get a little more juice out of my system.
Recently put a SSD and love it... 3 more on the way for raid 0
Learned it probably won't help, may end up selling 2 of them.
Might buy one of those pci ssd cards.
Will need to update my motherboard so I can have a pci-e 16 slot and then another pci-e 8x slot.

So... I wanted to skip the i7 as its not a huge upgrade to what I have. I also like buying the smaller die intel makes, then upgrading to the new cpu in the old socket. Tick Tock

How long will it be before I7 gets a die shrink?
I was also thinking about maybe getting the new xeon 8 core processor coming out. I think that might be over my budget though. What's the difference between the the current i7 and the xeon... I was thinking of maybe a dual socket motherboard with two of the current 1366 xeons.....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i7 die shrinks should be coming Q1 2010 starting with the hexacore 32nm CPU (Gulftown) I believe. Current Xeons and i7 are exactly the same thing. Xeons are the server versions of the i7s and there is little to no difference between them. The only difference I believe is that Xeon are higher binned i7s, making them "server grade".

What do you use your computer for that needs so much CPU power?

Edit: 666 posts for the second time today

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchCorsair
View Post

Anyone know if the i9s will be 45nm or 32nm ?

The i9 hexacore called Gulftown is 32nm.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use lightroom and photoshop mostly. Lightroom actually will use all 4 cores to about 90%. Its been 3 years now since I built my last computer minus the little upgrades... so I am thinking it might be time.

So then the next thing after the i7 is the i9? with 6 cores?
Is there a new Xeon coming out with 8 cores...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There is an 8-core Xeon called Beckton coming out in Q1 2010. It will be based on Nehalem therefore it will be 45nm. If you want to go 32nm you'll have to get the 6-core Xeon/i9 which it to be released also in Q1 2010.

Also if you need a lot of processing power you should check into a better GPU. I believe Adobe CS4 supports CUDA and/or OpenGL therefore reduces load on your CPU and make your GPU process it instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts