Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a i7 but dont know if i should get ivy bridge 1155 socket or wait for haswell

would it be worth upgrading to haswell

ive been reading and found out haswell will perform 10% better and use less power

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Too early to say. If Haswell overclocks well as Sandy Bridge does, then it will destroy Ivy Bridge. If it only overclocks as well as Ivy Bridge, then the difference will be very small.

I don't think either will have hardly any impact on gaming after overclocked. Your talking probably a 1-2FPS difference at 1080p and above.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you can wait do so. Haswell may be great who knows. You could perhaps pick up an Ivy at a better price then. IB socket 1155 is the end of the road too as Haswell will have a new socket . If you cant wait get one . Maybe AMD brings out something too

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinhal View Post

If you can wait do so. Haswell may be great who knows. You could perhaps pick up an Ivy at a better price then. IB socket 1155 is the end of the road too as Haswell will have a new socket . If you cant wait get one . Maybe AMD brings out something too
Great in terms of power consumption but if you can wait of course you should.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am buying all the parts by end of august i reach my goal then and 8000 series cards should be out by then

i need a good 24" monitor with thin bezel for around £150 gonna do triple monitors

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkes View Post

i am buying all the parts by end of august i reach my goal then and 8000 series cards should be out by then

i need a good 24" monitor with thin bezel for around £150 gonna do triple monitors
Good call on waiting. 3 X 27 " compared to your current HP
biggrin.gif

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
wait it out, worse comes to worse, you dont get the new socket, instead you buy 155 build on the cheap

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post

wait it out, worse comes to worse, you dont get the new socket, instead you buy 155 build on the cheap
CHEAP?

im about as far away from cheap as you'll ever get this rig im planning on is £2,000

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
cheap is in the eye of the beholder. If you spend less on a still very capable i7 on 1155, that should leave money open for other items to make it even better

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
I would advise Haswell if:

You run integrated video only

Need more memory bandwidth than Ivy.. with less $$$ than IB-E

Must have the newest shiniest etc

Use programs that rely heavily on caching or paging

...otherwise Ivy will provide everything you need at lower cost.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post

I would advise Haswell if:

You run integrated video only
Need more memory bandwidth than Ivy.. with less $$$ than IB-E
Must have the newest shiniest etc
Use programs that rely heavily on caching or paging

...otherwise Ivy will provide everything you need at lower cost.
i am at the moment getting two 7950s if i can get 8000 series crossfire for the same price and be as good as better

i hate intergrated graphics

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkes View Post

you might as well wait and see how haswell goes before making a decision on the mobo/CPU.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubass View Post

you might as well wait and see how haswell goes before making a decision on the mobo/CPU.
thumb.gif
ive planned out wat mother im gonna get already so when haswell comes around ill compare the board im looking at (1155) and find close to or same features on the haswell board

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
which 1155 board you thinking of?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts