1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Xeon W3530! It'll probably get you higher OCs.

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
639 Posts
I'd go the Xeon route. I believe they are much better binned and have higher overclocks without as much heat as the regular i7's.

Edit: If you want, you could drop to the W3520. Basically the samething but a lower stock clock.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i7 = xeon

xeons are normally binned better, but the 950s binned pretty good too.
in a single physical CPU board, the xeon will be identical to its i7 brother at the same clocks.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danounet View Post
Without talking OC. Which would be better though?

I just want to see both sides of the story
the i7 because its clocked higher. and that is the only reason. if the two chips had the same clocks they would perform exactly the same, because they are the same exact chip. (ok, the xeon has dual QPIs, but thats only used when there are multiple CPUs on the mobo)

really... im being serious, im not just saying they are similar chips, they both use the same exact die (besides the dual QPI, which is irrelevent here)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

As you can tell I dont know much about Intel CPUs, just learning as I go.

Xeon it is then

Now another question. Which Xeon around $300 should I get?? Again not set on OC at the moment. Maybe down the road when the PC starts to get a bit outdated.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danounet View Post
Thanks everyone!

As you can tell I dont know much about Intel CPUs, just learning as I go.

Xeon it is then

Now another question. Which Xeon around $300 should I get?? Again not set on OC at the moment. Maybe down the road when the PC starts to get a bit outdated.

i just said the i7 950 is faster stock due to the higher clock, and it will be better if you oc because it has a higher multi. but you are kinda stuck to that xeon around $300 because the rest are much more expensive. if you want one with higher clocks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fooxz View Post

i just said the i7 950 is faster stock due to the higher clock, and it will be better if you oc because it has a higher multi. but you are kinda stuck to that xeon around $300 because the rest are much more expensive. if you want one with higher clocks...
I was taking in consideration the other comments as well. I'm not really set on anything... hence why am asking. All the info in a short time gets confusing.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
if OCing isnt your thing, i would 100% def go with the i7 950

1 - 13 of 13 Posts