Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Networking Nut
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so the new i7s confuse me. How would the i7 860 perform in comparison to a 920 or something like that? I look at the 1156 motherboards and they look kinda...not as good as the 1366 ones...is that a valid point or is there any difference? Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
In terms of CPU performance, It seems that the i7 860 is slightly faster than the i7 920.

IMO, the big difference comes with having or not the integrated PCI Express controller:
  • The i7 860 will provide "only" 16 lanes, so you are "limited" when it comes to multi-GPU setups
  • The i7 920 does not have an integrated PCIe, so you can make full use of the 36 lanes in the X58 chipset
Another difference is the triple channel memory controller available in the i7 920, compared to the dual channel memory controller in the i7 860.

I would personnally go for the i7 860, since it is more cost effective and I don't use multi-gpu's.

·
Networking Nut
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is it fairly accurate to say that the 860 would be better for single gpu setups but if I decide to sli or crossfire, it would be better to get a 920?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartaLualdi View Post
So is it fairly accurate to say that the 860 would be better for single gpu setups but if I decide to sli or crossfire, it would be better to get a 920?
No I'd say go 1366 and the 920. The motherboards are awesome and you get all the latest processors in the future.

Plus the 16x16x16 is nice

It really all depends about how much your willing to spend. but if you have a microcenter near you the price isn't that much of a difference

1 - 5 of 5 Posts