Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have this configuration going on, first time using the Msi board, typically go asus, but heard it should be capable. (experienced with the 8700k and had good success there)
I run the latest OCCT at medium and SSE, temps seem to not go higher than say 79C, but it bsod to a whea error each time.

I have the following set in the bios and i'm wondering if there are some other settings that need set as well:

I set it to "all core" though at first I thought maybe i could do per core and leave the two cores at 53 and the rest at 51, but maybe not?
I have it set all core 52. Vcore at 1.31 and voltage mode auto. (i've dropped to 51 for another round of tests and set cio/ca to 1.24 for the next one)
LLC is mode 4 and the rest on this page are set to auto.

I have cpu ratio offset set to -4 (48?)
I have ring ratio at auto (should this be different).
I didnt touch the cpu base clock or apply mode.

Dram i have on xmp, but i kept ram at 3200 though initially had it at 4000 (this didnt help lowering).
VCCIO and CA i have on auto though i was going to try 1.24 - 1.30 each?

On the clockgen features area i didnt change anything there, all on auto and dynamic frequency search still disabled.

CPU core is on default vcc sense. The rest were on auto (cio/ca, etc)

Its this page that i had to tweak (advanced cpu):
I have extreme OC setup on LN2 Extreme.
C state auto
**EIST is set to disabled and greyed out?
The other values i left on default, like power limit, current limit, except speed shift i set to disabled (otherwise it wouldnt go above say 49x) and pci spread is on auto.

Is there any other useful setting to change or are all these pretty standard and wont make a different (IE: eist unsure why its greyed out).
Guessing this chip isnt that great.

Whats the quickest way to test this chip, is occt for some duration still a good indicator and if it goes an hour then realbench and then prime95 blend perhaps for 12 hours without avx enabled?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Here are the base settings for the Unify. This is all you need to adjust before setting core voltage and multiplier. Leave everything else on auto for now. These settings allow me to daily 5.4 ghz / 1.35v and bench 5.5 ghz / 1.42v (Cinebench R20, Geekbench 5). When finding your stable multiplier and core voltage, you don't need to run a stress test more than 10 minutes. I won't criticize anyone for wanting to be more stable but running a stress test for 12 hours is a waste of time and it degrades your CPU. For daily settings, I like it to be stable in Prime95 small fft AVX off for 10 minutes with no errors or core speed throttling. If you are on air cooling or an AIO, 5 minutes. I also test Prime95 small fft AVX2 on for 30 seconds.

-Clear CMOS
-Set your XMP profile
-CPU Ratio Apply Mode = All Core
-CPU Ratio Mode = Fixed Mode
-Set ring 47-50 (Start at 47 until you find stable core multiplier)
-CPU Core Voltage Mode = Override Mode
-Set VCCIO/VCCSA to 1.25-1.30 for now

·
Registered
483 Posts
When finding your stable multiplier and core voltage, you don't need to run a stress test more than 10 minutes. I won't criticize anyone for wanting to be more stable but running a stress test for 12 hours is a waste of time and it degrades your CPU.
So no middle ground for you? Either 10 min or 12 hours? :p
How long you run a stresstest is up to you, but telling a guy who is new to this that 10 min is more than enough is another thing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here are the base settings for the Unify. This is all you need to adjust before setting core voltage and multiplier. Leave everything else on auto for now. These settings allow me to daily 5.4 ghz / 1.35v and bench 5.5 ghz / 1.42v (Cinebench R20, Geekbench 5). When finding your stable multiplier and core voltage, you don't need to run a stress test more than 10 minutes. I won't criticize anyone for wanting to be more stable but running a stress test for 12 hours is a waste of time and it degrades your CPU. For daily settings, I like it to be stable in Prime95 small fft AVX off for 10 minutes with no errors or core speed throttling. If you are on air cooling or an AIO, 5 minutes. I also test Prime95 small fft AVX2 on for 30 seconds.

-Clear CMOS
-Set your XMP profile
-CPU Ratio Apply Mode = All Core
-CPU Ratio Mode = Fixed Mode
-Set ring 47-50 (Start at 47 until you find stable core multiplier)
-CPU Core Voltage Mode = Override Mode
-Set VCCIO/VCCSA to 1.25-1.30 for now
I had to set speed shift to disabled otherwise it wouldnt go higher than 49x

My last round has made it an hour occt medium sse
51x
(actual vcore 1.301, set to 1.31)
LLC4
vccio/vccsa was at 1.24
cache ratio offset -4
ring ratio at auto (wasnt sure on this one, i think it can go up to 4400 if manual)
Ram still at 1.45 and 3200 not 4000.
My cooler is the thermaltake 360.
Max temp on a few cores 81C (is 85C the absolute max i should not go above here or was it 90 now i forget, though for real world tests i like to not go above 70-72 for 24/7)

Cinebench r20, max temp 80C
IntelBurntest v2.5 (5 times, stress level high) 78C max

I'm going to try a few more benchmark tests and maybe p95 blend too, before either going up in cpu ratio or upping the memory.

**I couldnt do small ffts with prime95 28.9 build2 avx off(CpuSupportsFMA3=0), it hit 99C almost immediately.

Decided to try these:
vccio/sa now 1.26
Vcore now set to 1.29 in bios

Ran small fft's again, this time max on one single core is 85C, however, i'm noticing in the first few mins at least that core 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 arent doing much of anything?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
So no middle ground for you? Either 10 min or 12 hours? :p
How long you run a stresstest is up to you, but telling a guy who is new to this that 10 min is more than enough is another thing.
I didn't tell him either 10 min or 12 hours :confused:

What settings do you recommend to hit mid-5s on a Unify?

benchmark tests and maybe p95 blend too, before either going up in cpu ratio or upping the memory.

**I couldnt do small ffts with prime95 28.9 build2 avx off(CpuSupportsFMA3=0), it hit 99C almost immediately.
Do you mean AVX on? You shouldn't be hitting 99C immediately with AVX off.

Have you considered delidding or direct die?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't tell him either 10 min or 12 hours :confused:

What settings do you recommend to hit mid-5s on a Unify?

Do you mean AVX on? You shouldn't be hitting 99C immediately with AVX off.

Have you considered delidding or direct die?
Avx is set to off in the local file (CpuSupportsFMA3=0). My past 8700k was delidded by silicon lottery (ordered directly), this one is a newegg cpu.
I also tried occt small set and immediately it was at 94C (even with bios vcore set to 1.29 too), not sure why.

For this board, when i do the restore optimized defaults, it doesnt seem to reset the bios to what it was, whats the easiest way to reset that?
For now i've put it back on what i think were defaults for the board (with the 53 on a few cores etc) and set ram to 4000 to retest. Vcore being on auto but i put cio/sa to 1.26 and ram to 1.45.

**started occt, set to small SSE on the more default bios settings and im at 75C after 20 seconds. Of course the cpu wont go above 49 (I think because the temps are all 71 to 75C with default bios options); cinebench 76C on one core 49x max at default/auto settings.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Avx is set to off in the local file (CpuSupportsFMA3=0). My past 8700k was delidded by silicon lottery (ordered directly), this one is a newegg cpu.
I also tried occt small set and immediately it was at 94C (even with bios vcore set to 1.29 too), not sure why.

For this board, when i do the restore optimized defaults, it doesnt seem to reset the bios to what it was, whats the easiest way to reset that?
For now i've put it back on what i think were defaults for the board (with the 53 on a few cores etc) and set ram to 4000 to retest. Vcore being on auto but i put cio/sa to 1.26 and ram to 1.45.

**started occt, set to small SSE on the more default bios settings and im at 75C after 20 seconds. Of course the cpu wont go above 49 (I think because the temps are all 71 to 75C with default bios options)
Beats me, I just set profiles. From my experience the Unify is great at recovering from a bad overclock but terrible at remembering what the previous settings were. If you don't save a bios profile your settings are a sand castle.

Can you post HWInfo screenshots of your stress testing?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beats me, I just set profiles. From my experience the Unify is great at recovering from a bad overclock but terrible at remembering what the previous settings were. If you don't save a bios profile your settings are a sand castle.

Can you post HWInfo screenshots of your stress testing?
Yeah what would be a good area, the cpu temp/vcore section?
Or others.

I'm going to go back in and try to set the ratio again and retest.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yeah what would be a good area, the cpu temp/vcore section?
Or others.

I'm going to go back in and try to set the ratio again and retest.
These settings, including hardware errors

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i tried to just turn speed shift to off, set the cpu vcore to 1.26, left everything cpu wise at defaults.
Small test occt hit 100C instantly (SSE). Whereas the last time with default auto vcore and speed shift on, it didnt go that high, 76C etc.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Well i tried to just turn speed shift to off, set the cpu vcore to 1.26, left everything cpu wise at defaults.
Small test occt hit 100C instantly (SSE). Whereas the last time with default auto vcore and speed shift on, it didnt go that high, 76C etc.
I just tried turning off speed shift and I got a blue screen at desktop at 5.5. I think I’ll leave that on auto.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
desktop at 5.5. I think I’ll leave that on aut
Hmm but i thought speed step throttles the cores down to like 49x if they go above 70C? Or is that another setting

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ill try the reset option if i need to.
I just retested with auto volts for vcore (cpu core voltage mode set to auto and had been when manually set, i think maybe this needs to be override when specifying the volts). Cpu is set to turbo ratio offset.
Did small test occt sse: max 77C, but core speed doesnt seem to hit higher than 49x despite speed shift being disabled?
Vcore in hwinfo showing 1.181 max now (before i've seen it hit 1.234 with auto vcore).
Just getting another baseline.
Memory at 4000/xmp 1.46 1.26 cio/sa

Now i'm about to test fixed ratio 51 again with vcore auto as a baseline. Whats the difference between "fixed mode" and dynamic for that?
So setting to 51 and changing nothing else:
91C with small occt test sse after just 5 seconds.
The vcore hit 1.322 when left to do whatever it wanted.
ratio did hit 51x now that its on fixed.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
More attempts:
bios 1.26v LLC5, 1.26 vccio/sa, 1.45 ram, 51x fixed, override vcore mode
small occt: "kernel_security_check_failure"after 5 seconds

V1.28 bios (1.27 actual load) llc5,
76C small occt initial but then attempted_execute_of_noexecute_memory

now at 1.29 and testing though perhaps those above were memory related.
vcore bios of 1.29 resulted in clock_watchdog_timeout this time occt Large data test within 5 seconds

At 1.30 large failed with watchdog again (llc still 5)

at 1.31 making it further with large occt (actual hwinfo vcore 1.3 max, occt iA says 1.34) cant figure out how to condense the hwinfo:
edit: 1.31 here with small occt failed in 5 seconds, 84C with clock_watchdog_timeout;
Reran with 50x, small occt and it was at 99C instantly so stopped

I had the fan settings in bios at defaults i believe, now i've tried checking off "smart curve", not sure if that will help with the pump/fans short of setting to 100%

Retesting at 1.32v bios but lowered sa/io to 1.2 ram to 3200, LLC to 2 from 5:
small occt: 96C
vcore actual 1.337v
cpu fan 1829 rpm, pump 1472
3mins without an issue but the temps are too high.
Large occt: 81C after 2 mins, vcore reading of 1.332

Retested now with ram at 4000, still 1.2 cio/sa, same 1.32v bios, LLC2
Small occt 3min, max 96C too hot
Large occt: 20 mins no issues, max 87C
*Ran a test here with flight sim 2020, before with the 8700k at 5ghz, i was at 40 fps for the same test (egcl clear weather runway, mr20 carenado, 1080ti ftw3), here im sitting 38 fps, i notice that the cpuz ratio is only averaging 47x while running, sometimes jumps to 51x (max temp 73C), kinda disappointed (yeah due to 2 fps haha), expected about equal so i guess its close if the cpu isnt throttling here? Ironically cpuz reporting more 51x when not in sim than when in. I have turbo set to enabled.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Still continuing to test, noticing in occt medium tests, the max never exceeds 5ghz. This while still set at 1.31 and 4200 on the ram, i still have two cores set to 53x and the rest at 51x. It never exceeds 5001.2 mhz (setting them to fixed mode and 51x worked on the next try, all showing 51x)

·
Been around...
597 Posts
Still continuing to test, noticing in occt medium tests, the max never exceeds 5ghz. This while still set at 1.31 and 4200 on the ram, i still have two cores set to 53x and the rest at 51x. It never exceeds 5001.2 mhz (setting them to fixed mode and 51x worked on the next try, all showing 51x)
4200 on the RAM?
Stop trying to do two things at once: Set the RAM to JEDEC (XMP off) while working on the CPU O/C. Otherwise, you'll have no idea what might be causing instabilities.

Are you looking for an always active all core O/C with a set 24/7 vcore, or something more dynamic that will scale the CPU ratio/voltage as needed for the load? This will very much dictate how you approach things. Most people here tend to go with the former. I went with the latter.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
at will scale the CPU
I usually do the latter and have it auto throttle down. So i guess not enabling "override" mode by the bios vcore setting, but for now i have it on this so i can figure things out.

Yeah i was doing too many things at once, needed to lower the ram down and get the cpu max ratio/volts figured out first. Once i did an all core setting though, i was able to hit the ratio at least while stress testing.

I havent scaled the ram back but i'm about 30 mins into a occt medium test again (at ram 4000), so far so good, i guess if that goes 2 hours then i'd consider the current set a winner (then maybe try prime95 blend for 12 and or memtest2 for 350% etc), if i hit an error ill definitely scale the ram back until the cpu is figured out.

One setting i still have on auto is ring ratio. I think that needs to be about 3-4 less than the actual (and try to work up closer), so if cpu is 51, then like 48 or 49x? When i tried manually setting this (and with ram at 4200 i had errors), was probably the ram and not ring ratio but thats another setting to put back in I guess.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Updated now with pretty good success:

Survived 2 hours on Occt Medium and about 4 hours on Occt Large
Max temp 81C

Bios 1.32 and auto mode (not override)
All Core, 51x
Eist disabled greyed out/Turbo greyed out
Ring Set to auto (43x)
AVX offset -4
Thermal velocity Boost is set to defaults auto
SA 1.26 (possibly a hair higher than safe 24/7? 1.25)
IO 1.26
Ram 1.48
Ram xmp and 4000
LLC4
LN2 Extreme
Cstate Enabled
Speed shift Disabled
PCIe Spectrum Enabled

Im now trying to boost the Ring ratio, tried 49x and it froze on boot, so now trying 47x. Once i get that set ill walk back on the vcore and/or cio/sa values slightly (though i think before when i tried this it was error city for occt medium in minutes)

47 ring made it 3hrs med occt. I think the ram temp hit 55c.overall max still around 84c, i was then able to do 1.30v 81C (ac unit blastin to keep the ambient lower) for 1hr 16 med occt at 47ring/51x. Testing 1.25 cio/sa now, trying to not exceed 1.25 (may try for 4100 or 4200 ram again though, everything else held equal).

Tried 52x at 1.31, got a bsod on med occt in 10 sec, i guess 52x is a no go, not without more volts and too much heat.
I tried going down to 1.29, had an insta fail there.

**So at this point i think the sweet spot for 51x is 1.30v-1.31 volts. Avx offset is still -4
When set to 1.305v in bios, hwinfo vcore shows 1.298 for the max (core temp has vid as high as 1.3589v).
If i set the power management to balanced, it appears the cpu is throttling down (since i have it on auto not override for vcore i guess).

I need to test an avx load, but p95 with avx the cpu gets too hot, may try just realbench for now a few times.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Updated now with pretty good success:

Survived 2 hours on Occt Medium and about 4 hours on Occt Large
Max temp 81C

Bios 1.32 and auto mode (not override)
All Core, 51x
Eist disabled greyed out/Turbo greyed out
Ring Set to auto (43x)
SA 1.26 (possibly a hair higher than safe 24/7? 1.25)
IO 1.26
Ram 1.48
Ram xmp and 4000
LLC4
LN2 Extreme
Cstate Enabled
Speed shift Disabled
PCIe Spectrum Enabled

Im now trying to boost the Ring ratio, tried 49x and it froze on boot, so now trying 47x. Once i get that set ill walk back on the vcore and/or cio/sa values slightly (though i think before when i tried this it was error city for occt medium in minutes)
Hmm, I run (and recommended) pretty much everything on auto with MSI Unify except core voltage/multiplier and IO/SA voltage but as long as you are happy with your OC.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts