Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!
So I just finished a 1hour stress test in Prime95 (Read that this is fine for normal use such as gaming, which is what I will be using it for).
There are a few things I would like to ask.
First off, the test was fine for 1 hour but at 4 minutes left I got a message: Windows Network Service (iirc) has stopped working.
The test was still fine, I let it run for the last 4 minutes and everything seems fine.
Does this mean it's not really stable?
Temps maxed at 80C on two cores. The other two maxed on 77 and 76.

I achieved 4.5GHz at 1.28Vcore, I had 4.4GHz at 1.22GHz which was stable for a 5min run in Prime95. I tried everywhere from 1.24-1.28 at 4.5GHz and only 1.28GHz would run for even minutes. 1.24 and 1.25, Prime95 stopped responding. 1.26 and 1.27, BSOD for more Vcore.
Should I rather step back to 4.4GHz at 1.22 or maybe even 1.21Vcore or is there anything I can do to try and get lower Vcore on this OC?

For RAM settings I had some issues at first so I set it to XMP and it worked fine. Timings are 8-8-8-24 2N, V = 1.65. Anything else that concerns RAM is auto.

For other settings I used some that were suggested (by david82282) in another thread:
BCLK = 100
CPU_LLC = UltraHigh (75%) -- this should keep Vload almost the same as the Vcpu in BIOS -- I get 0.01 overshoot.
CPU_Power_Phase = Optimized
CPU_Voltage = Manual Mode
V_PLL = 1.60 (this is said to drop temps a bit, or allow a lower Vcpu)
V_DRAM = 1.53 (with 16GB, it probably helps to have some reserve)
Spread_Spectrum = Disabled (though probably doesn't matter for BCLK=100)
CPU_Current_Cap = 140% (it's red, but seems to be necessary for high OC).

Everything except for the V_DRAM I have the same as his.

Anything else is auto.

Also a few times I got some BSOD's that in another thread were said to be from too low QPI/VTT but in the BIOS of my Asus P8Z77-V Pro there is no setting to change that, I could definitely not find it anyways. I just changed the Vcore and it went away.

So yeah, basically I am wondering if I can stick with this OC for 'normal use' (Gaming, watching movies and such), if there is anything I can try to get lower Vcore and if I did anything completely wrong. Or if I should just go down to 4.4GHz and conclude that my chip is not amazing.

Thanks!

Edit: Also in CPU-Z it's at 1.288 at idle and 1.296 iirc at 100%.
More edit: I was also looking for iGPU settings since the 3770k people said disabling it would lower temps, but for my 3570k I have no iGPU settings. Is this normal? I can't say I am very familiar with the whole iGPU thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hopefully you can get yours straighten out. i have a 3570k as well and haven't oc yet, but would like to get 4.5 for daily use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyl9063 View Post

hopefully you can get yours straighten out. i have a 3570k as well and haven't oc yet, but would like to get 4.5 for daily use.
It seems very stable, but I have one weird thing at the moment.

Since OCing, it seems Fraps will no longer run. I try and run it and nothing happens. No errors or anything, just won't run.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Sounds similiar to mine, just arrived today, tried 4.5ghz with same vcore as my old 2500K... BSOD xD 10c hotter.

Kinda dissapointed tbh, I was expecting it to be hotter but I figured I'd hit 4.5ghz at a reasonable voltage/temp and be happy with that, guess not
redface.gif

So I'm running 4.4ghz with around 1.21v, hottest core 72c, until I get brave enough to remove the IHS and try the tim replacement for myself :l

Anyway, I'd stick with 4.4ghz the extra 100mhz probably isnt worth the extra heat.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I don't know about you but personally I would want to make sure my computer was a little more stable than an hour in prime95. I personally would run it for at least 12 hours and see what you get there. Have you looked at IBT? I would suggest some runs there as well (30).

Of course this is coming from a folder, but stable is stable, isn't it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeforceGTS View Post

Sounds similiar to mine, just arrived today, tried 4.5ghz with same vcore as my old 2500K... BSOD xD 10c hotter.
Kinda dissapointed tbh, I was expecting it to be hotter but I figured I'd hit 4.5ghz at a reasonable voltage/temp and be happy with that, guess not
redface.gif

So I'm running 4.4ghz with around 1.21v, hottest core 72c, until I get brave enough to remove the IHS and try the tim replacement for myself :l
Anyway, I'd stick with 4.4ghz the extra 100mhz probably isnt worth the extra heat.
You have to keep in mind though a 4.5GHz IB is something like 4.8-4.9GHz SB.

Anyways yeah I might go back to 4.4GHz and try to go 1.21V as well, quite a difference for just 100MHz indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpack101 View Post

I don't know about you but personally I would want to make sure my computer was a little more stable than an hour in prime95. I personally would run it for at least 12 hours and see what you get there. Have you looked at IBT? I would suggest some runs there as well (30).
Of course this is coming from a folder, but stable is stable, isn't it?
I might run Prime95 overnight just to check but it seems reasonable to me that for gaming and such you don't need as long stress tests. Maybe just 1 hour is a bit short, but obviously if things start crashing it probably isn't completely stable even for normal use. Which is why I am a bit unsure about my OC since I'm seeing some strange things that could be coincidence and could be unstable OC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today, I tried going back down to 4.4GHz since it seemed like it would be stable at much lower voltage. This time I could not run 4.4GHz at 1.22V for 5 minutes like I previously could.

I then went back to exact same settings as before on my 4.5GHz OC and after some Diablo 3 it failed. 0x0A BSOD. Now I am testing 4.4GHz at 1.25V (1.264V in CPU-Z), looks like this is pretty stable so far but only been running for 54 minutes. Seems a bit high Vcore for 4.4GHz to me though. Anything I can try and change? Still using same settings as in OP, except for VDram which is at 1.65 from XMP.
Max temps so far are 74C, 76C, 76C, 74C.

Also should I try just reverting to default and offset OC instead? I read it's a bit more complex, but there is a good guide here for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
no one else has a 3570k to give some input????
yea mine is diablo3 as well. My 212 cooler should be coming in soon, so hopefully someone has manage this 3570k to be stable at 4.5.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyl9063 View Post

no one else has a 3570k to give some input????
yea mine is diablo3 as well. My 212 cooler should be coming in soon, so hopefully someone has manage this 3570k to be stable at 4.5.
Shouldn't be too hard to get 4.5, I would think I could do it if I was more experienced at OCing.

I'm gonna let it run at this 4.4GHz setting till around the weekend then maybe try out offset OCing to see if I can reach 4.5.

But yeah, still would love any tips, was about to bump it but you did that for me.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andeby View Post

Shouldn't be too hard to get 4.5, I would think I could do it if I was more experienced at OCing.
I'm gonna let it run at this 4.4GHz setting till around the weekend then maybe try out offset OCing to see if I can reach 4.5.
But yeah, still would love any tips, was about to bump it but you did that for me.
tongue.gif
yea i know, this will be my first overclock as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts