Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

This is the primary planning stage of my second acrylic scratch build!

It really is in a very early planning stage due to a few things:
1. I´d like to use a very special mobo, the DFI Lanparty MI P55-T36 - only problem is, there are only 2 shops in whole Europe selling it - and those are in the UK (request to ship it to Austria still pending >.<)

2. I have no idea if it is possible to passivly cool an i5 4x 2,6GHz CPU or which cooler would be suitable. Have been looking at a few tower coolers - but don´t know which one to choose.
Here are the candidates:

Thermalright HR-02
Prolimatech Super Mega
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B
Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
And alternatively: Corsair Air Series A70
Zalman CNPS10X Flex
It also needs to look good as it will be in full sight. Imagined a cooler purely made of copper, but the one i found (Thermalright´s Ulttra 120 eXtreme True Copper) has a weight of 1900grams(!) - and that wont work with a vertical mobo-setup and it´s quite expensive.

Well, those are a few thoughts on this new project!
Any ideas or comments are welcome


About the name: I´m living in the alps and once I made some Sketchup pics you´ll see more clearly


Cheers
kowa

UPDATES:

1 Sketchup Models

2 Mobo Arrival, Stuff Ordered

3 Nils´s Stuff arrived

4 Parts have arrived

5 Cutting begins!

6 Some Sleeving

7 Mobo-tray and Blue-ray support

8 Finally an update!

9 Back panel

10 Teaser!

11 Take it apart - and put it back together

12 Mini-update

13 Has been a very long time since update No. 12
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, 100 times viewed and no posts? Thanks a lot for the input! /sarcasm

Anyhow - threw a few Sketchup-Models together to give you an idea of how this might look:

Components with one of the possible coolers:


Those circles are where the cables will leave the case and re-enter it to reach the 24pin and aux 6pin (just did this really quick - and this was the best I came up with) - hope you can use your imagination

And the cutout for the cooler in the bent acrylic piece is missing too!


There still need to go cables to the gfx-card - haven´t thought of them yet.
And for the name: somehow looks like it has 2 horns formed like those of an ibex (maybe my imagination is going a little wild here ....)

Back to the passivly coole i5 quad core: is this posssible? Or would it be way to hot? (The cooler will get some kind of cage).

And the case will be made of 3mm black acrylic, except the base plate, which will be 8mm clear acrylic with sanded/milky edges and blue LED´s.

Cheers
kowa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
looks sweet great to see another crazy mod by you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
I strongly recommend positioning the motherboard so the heatsink be sat down vertically to minimize stress on the motherboard. The shear size of those passive cools makes me wonder how much they weigh, let alone how much force they exert on the motherboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by kill_mellon
View Post

looks sweet great to see another crazy mod by you


Thanks a lot!

Quote:


Originally Posted by tomclancey
View Post

I strongly recommend positioning the motherboard so the heatsink be sat down vertically to minimize stress on the motherboard. The shear size of those passive cools makes me wonder how much they weigh, let alone how much force they exert on the motherboard.

Positioning it in the other way screw´s up my design :/
But if the mobo can´t take it I´ll have to think up something new.
Are those mITX boards less stout that ATX boards? Because those boards can support coolers like those even with added fans.
The other way would be to design some kind of mounting mechanism which mounts the cooler to the mobo AND to the mobo-backplate.

Anyway thanks for the input!
CHeers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kowabunka
View Post

Positioning it in the other way screw´s up my design :/
But if the mobo can´t take it I´ll have to think up something new.
Are those mITX boards less stout that ATX boards? Because those boards can support coolers like those even with added fans.
The other way would be to design some kind of mounting mechanism which mounts the cooler to the mobo AND to the mobo-backplate.

I don't think the mITX boards are any less stout, the cooler is just far more top heavy and massive. Yes, people do have large HSF's mounted horizontally but they're not nearly as tall/heavy.

You could always redesign it and have it be more square shaped and taller. I made my case with an mATX and because of width restrictions just made it like a cube shape, 12x12x12! Obviously you would change the dimensions for what suited you, but given the size of your chosen heatsink, I think mounting the motherboard flat would be your best bet.

However, if changing the design is totally out of the cards, you could probably rig something up to take most of the weight off the motherboard. Perhaps a sort of wire suspension system, much like those massive cranes or bridges? Attach twine or thin gauge metal wire to the tips of the heatsink and affix them to points slightly higher then the motherboard, but to the inside of the case. That would definitely take some of the weight, but how much I'm not entirely sure. Tension is something I haven't quite delved into yet in physics, heh.

Hope that helps! And good look modding, I'll be looking forward to seeing this finished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Very unique design!!! Looking forward to more progress.

Is the mobo going to be mounted to the 3mm acrylic???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lazerwerx
View Post

Very unique design!!! Looking forward to more progress.

Is the mobo going to be mounted to the 3mm acrylic???

Thanks!
I´ll mount the mobo to a mobotray made of 8mm acrylic which will also support the HDD and the Blue Ray Combo Drive.

And it finally looks like I´ll get that mobo from the UK


Cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
That motherboard will warp very badly over time...do you really need SUCH a massive heat sink? If this is for a HTPC...just undervolt the i5 as much as possible. Also, does it have to be COMPLETELY quiet? Can't you get a really silent fan, and therefore a much lighter heat sink?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by MrAlex
View Post

That motherboard will warp very badly over time...do you really need SUCH a massive heat sink? If this is for a HTPC...just undervolt the i5 as much as possible. Also, does it have to be COMPLETELY quiet? Can't you get a really silent fan, and therefore a much lighter heat sink?

I have no idea how big the heatsink needs to be to sufficiently cool an i5 quadcore.
Seeing that ATX boards can support coolers like those mentioned it should be possible to mount those on a mini ITX board too - and I have an idea how to mount the heatsink to the mobo, but with the mobotray supporting the weight. From what I have seen, the weight of those tower-heatsinks is ranging from 650 to 870g - somehow there´s not much difference regarding the size.
And neither undervolting nor mounting a fan is an option (atm).
Guess I´m sounding a little bit stubborn here so...


Couldn´t find any details on how much heat those heatsink can handle in a passive setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update-time!

First part arrived: the Dfi Lanparty MI P55-T36:
p1040886.jpg


p1040887m.jpg


It´s almost the same size as the I/O panel
cool.gif

p1040889b.jpg


Other parts I already had: Blue LED´s for lighting the base panel + resistors and switches (to turn the LED´s off)
p1040890.jpg


I also have a few sheets of black 3mm acrylic and leftovers of 8mm clear acrylic (from Conundrum).

Parts ordered:

i5 760 (4x2800MHz)
Scythe Yasya Towercooler
HIS HD 5740 1Gb
LG Blue Ray Combo Drive
WD 2TB Caviar Green
4Gb GeIL Evo One
Corsair 500CX - PSU
Lamptron vandalresistant switch (black with blue ring)
Some cables (extensions, USB, ...)
Arctic Cooling MX3
And sleeve, heatshrink and screws by Nils
biggrin.gif


Stay tuned!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Looks good - that Yasya comes with an excellent fan BTW - you could use it somewhere else in the case
smile.gif
Also, just curious, why did you buy a quad? Shouldn't a i3 dualcore be easier to cool?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Does anyone have any proof that a large heatsink mounted vertically on a mITX board would warp/damage it? It won't even have the weight of a fan on it. I assume that with the proper backplate it should be just fine. OR if needed, design a larger one, or one that bolts through to the motherboard tray. You would take a minor hit in cooling capability if you went to the standard TRUE instead of the copper edition. I have one and I believe it only weighs 790g!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
Im planning something sort of like this, cudos to another MITX builder. Because of the weight issues, i'm going to be mounting my motherboard differently though, so my tower cooler will stand straight. Also, you might run into problems with the backplate for your cooler, I've seen several pics of people having to cut/mod their backplates to fit on a mItx board. Unless your too far into this, I'd recommend checking into a horizontal mount. The case will be wider, but less high. Guess it does come down to asthetics^^.
Either way, best of luck to you, and i'll be watching this!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wouterr5
View Post

Looks good - that Yasya comes with an excellent fan BTW - you could use it somewhere else in the case
Also, just curious, why did you buy a quad? Shouldn't a i3 dualcore be easier to cool?

I want this PC to last as long as possible - and still be reasonably fast in a few years.

Quote:


Originally Posted by SheerHippo
View Post

Does anyone have any proof that a large heatsink mounted vertically on a mITX board would warp/damage it? It won't even have the weight of a fan on it. I assume that with the proper backplate it should be just fine. OR if needed, design a larger one, or one that bolts through to the motherboard tray. You would take a minor hit in cooling capability if you went to the standard TRUE instead of the copper edition. I have one and I believe it only weighs 790g!

That´s exactly what I have in mind!!


Quote:


Originally Posted by ascaii
View Post

Im planning something sort of like this, cudos to another MITX builder. Because of the weight issues, i'm going to be mounting my motherboard differently though, so my tower cooler will stand straight. Also, you might run into problems with the backplate for your cooler, I've seen several pics of people having to cut/mod their backplates to fit on a mItx board. Unless your too far into this, I'd recommend checking into a horizontal mount. The case will be wider, but less high. Guess it does come down to asthetics^^.
Either way, best of luck to you, and i'll be watching this!

Thank you very much!
I think I´m too far into this
- it really comes down to aesthetics!!

Cheers!
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top