A SHOCKING Sensation [pun intended]

Specs:
Pentium 2 @ 300MHz
CD-ROM
1GB HDD
384MB RAM [upgraded from 64MB]
manufacture date: September, 1997

Original specifications

This time I remembered to take before pictures [after I had already gutted it].

Good 'ol IBM, feels like I could run it over, and my car would break. It weighs a good 30Lbs.

Dropped $6 on paint and primer.

I prepped it. Primed it. Painted it. I just painted the front to see if it could turn out as well as my last beige case could, and to see if I should even continue this endeavor. I plan on cutting the top open, putting an acrylic window shaped as IBM, and some blue Christmas lights in there. Maybe I'll pinstripe the front.

Here's the front plastic:

Only one coat of paint, it's showing some imperfections. Looks like I sprayed dust.

Should I continue? If so, what should I do to rejuvenate this thing. I thought, if anything, I could use it to house some old P3 or P4 I have laying around.

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
You should scruff it up a bit with some sandpaper and go over in flat black. It won't show up like that and hide's imperfections well at a distance. You should build it into an emulator box or something.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
O_O DUDE That is looks six!

·
Registered
624 Posts
i'd put a nice window on the top, maybe some led's, and get feet for it to stand it up on it's side

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post
You should scruff it up a bit with some sandpaper and go over in flat black. It won't show up like that and hide's imperfections well at a distance. You should build it into an emulator box or something.
It's snowing, so I can't spray outside, I had to in my garage, then move it. The imperfections are just because I put it in my dusty basement right after spraying it. I'll sand it down, and go over in gloss black again, I don't like the look of flat black. I don't know about an emu, I could just do that on my main computer, and I have a bunch of extra boards laying around. Couple Pentium 2s, 3s, and 4s, all of which were thought of as garbage. I already gutted it and stored the P2 parts, so I'm thinking of either putting my sig rig in, or perhaps a P4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post
O_O DUDE That is looks six!
Thanks, hopefully I'll think so soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rastablast View Post
i'd put a nice window on the top, maybe some led's, and get feet for it to stand it up on it's side
I was thinking that, I like the idea of the sliding door and LED Christmas lights.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Love that retro re-work/mod there

Since u planning on cutting out an IBM logo in the top panel, I suggest you mask off some area around that 3D IBM logo on the front panel and paint it blue or white. Also get some blue and white LEDS for the power and HD activity lights.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by EuroFix View Post
Love that retro re-work/mod there

Since u planning on cutting out an IBM logo in the top panel, I suggest you mask off some area around that 3D IBM logo on the front panel and paint it blue or white. Also get some blue and white LEDS for the power and HD activity lights.
It's like you're in my head. I was thinking a bright blue to match the blue interior LEDs. Blue and white LEDs would be sweet for the power and HDD activity lights. The sweet thing is, the LED Christmas lights I bought have both white and blue diodes. They're white if current is passed through one way, blue the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK View Post
You're getting snow already?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler View Post
snow?

Ill be watching this beige case resurrection

The last couple days it snowed a bit. None of it stuck, but it's still too cold to spray outside. This is the UP of Michigan.

Thanks for the support so far, unfortunately I don't know when I can began cutting into the case, I lost have my saber saw
. I did make a stencil for the IBM logo.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small update:
The saber saw I planned to use is no longer available so I went to Menard's and picked myself up a small rotary tool and jigsaw. I drew up a stencil for the IBM logo so tomorrow I'll probably get started on the surgery.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:
I have begun hacking apart the side cover, leaving a nice IBM window.

The window outline sketched out.

Experimenting with the I.

Here's how I did it. Drilled pilot holes for the jigsaw, then went to work.

IB! IB almost done!

Almost half the M.

I ended up breaking a tiny drill bit while trying to cut out the triangle at the bottom of the M.

Not wanting to break another, I used the bigger bit I had been using for the pilot holes.

It ended up like this... not too bad.

Done with the cutting.

I now need to clean up the edges, as a screwed a few of them up. I'm calling it a night, my hand is a tad sore.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

nice work mate
Thanks. I'm not impressed with my own work through, usually I'm not this sloppy. Hopefully I can clean it up.

I also lack any sort of creative talent, and I'm at a loss for what to do next. I will probably just paint it black, and throw the guts in, but I feel like I could do more... any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
I am assuming you are going to back-light the cut out IBM with some blue ccfl's? or a piece of blue transparent acrylic and some white ccfl's?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Nice work. Brings back memories. I remember "playing" with the jumpers on those things to overclock the cpu. I think I got my 200MMX up to 233. Then just open the case and let a fan blow across the board. Cant wait to see the finished product here.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sintricate View Post
I could only imagine what that thing cost. My parents bought me a k6-200MHz system that same year for $1800 so that thing had to be deep into the $2000 territory.
I believe this upgraded one would have been near $3000. It was one that was Charter bought years ago. For years it ran a simple homemade program to track down people who were abusing the network.

Quote:

I am assuming you are going to back-light the cut out IBM with some blue ccfl's? or a piece of blue transparent acrylic and some white ccfl's?
Not CCFLs, I have some blue LED Christmas lights that I'm going to use. Also, as suggested by someone earlier, the HDD light and power lights will be blue and white.

Here's how I want the front to look [I still need to lay down a few more coats of paint].

That was just with some sharpie.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts