Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy i am going to try ic diamond i read on there site that it says to use a 5.5
Millimeter bead in the center of the cpu. and i don,t got a Millimeter ruler
so what is 5.5 Millimeter in inches .
is it a little of 1/4 are under.
and it say to let the ic diamond set for 10 min be for alpying the cooler.
then let it cure for 1 hour. that mean let it sit for one hour befor i turn the pc on right,.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid2012;13062184
thanks for nothing don,t you think i looked on google .
0.20 whats that .
why do you think i was asking on here but you alway get one smart a**.
Watch it. He's trying to help you. Don't be an ass or you won't get any help.

It converts to .21 inches. If you don't understand basic math, a quarter of an inch is .25 inches. Ergo, 5.5mm is slightly less than a quarter inch.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razr m3;13062295
Watch it. He's trying to help you. Don't be an ass or you won't get any help.

It converts to .21 inches. If you don't understand basic math, a quarter of an inch is .25 inches. Ergo, 5.5mm is slightly less than a quarter inch.
I'd question who is being an ass. You can probably find 98% of the information related to this website by googling which would thereby make all posts with any questions irrelevant in its entirety.

On topic...

From my understanding of that Diamond stuff, they're asking you to do the rice grain / pea method, which is just putting a blob in the center of the CPU without spreading the compound.

After you have the blob on the center of the CPU, you're suppose to let it sit there for 10 minutes so that the liquids or something evaporates (?).

Once that is done, you'll want to seat the heatsink as normal. I'd probably apply some pressure and squish the compound without lifting the heatsink so that its applied on most of the CPU.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
What I do to apply the IC Diamond thermal compound is first dip the sealed tube in a mug of nearly boiling water. As you'd expect, this heats up the thermal compound and makes it less viscous (slightly). I do this because at room temperature, this thermal compound is extremely viscous and hard to push out of the tube.

Anyway, once heated, I wipe off any water from the tube, remove the cap and push out a pea-sized blob on to the centre of the CPU. Personally I don't let it stand there. Simply place the heatsink on to the CPU and press down firmly for a minute or two (put quite a bit of pressure). This pressure will force the thermal compound blob to spread over the entire surface of the CPU. At this point, do not twist or remove the heatsink (e.g. to check the spread). If you do this, you will introduce air bubbles into the seal and make it less effective. Simply mount the heatsink on to your CPU socket and you're done.

Do not worry if you went slightly overboard with the blob you placed (I do this all the time, for the GPU on my graphics card as well) - IC Diamond is non-electrically conductive so it won't short-circuit anything. After two hours of constant use, IC Diamond will reach its peak performance.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid2012;13062184
thanks for nothing don,t you think i looked on google .
0.20 whats that .
why do you think i was asking on here but you alway get one smart a**.
:facepalm:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts