Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the process of buying a new motherboard and finding out i didnt like it, i had to buy some thermal paste and the cheapest stuff microcenter had on stock was ICdiamond 7. I would have preferred the stock cooler master stuff that came with my 212+ for 3 bucks but they didnt have it (IC was 7 bucks). Turns out im glad i got this stuff, previously my 2500k (4.4 1.296v) would idle at 32c now it sits at 26c. Load temps under prime used to be 59c, now they are down to 51c!

Im gonna try 1.4v 4.7ghz clock later and i bet it doesent go over 60c, it used to hit high 60's at that voltage. I did the recommended application of pea drop in the center of the chip.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Wow, you're getting better temperatures than I do with my custom loop. I guess that's down to my really cruddy Ivy chip. Still haven't quite dialled in the overclock just yet.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a fairly low ambient when testing this (68f). Your room may be hotter than mine.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Yeah my room is relatively warm but there's no escaping the fact that my chip isn't too great. Enjoy your temps!

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ya ivy didnt see that lol, cant compare apples to oranges : (

My 2500k has lower temps at 1.45v than an ivy does at 1.3v, intel really messed those up. If i was ever going to upgrade to an ivy i already decided i would delid it, temps would bother me too much lol.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For sure man im digging it, i was just honestly surprised thermal paste could make that much difference, and wanted to pass along my results.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
It's not just the TIM, but likely a combination of factors including how much thermal paste, how much mating surface there is between the cooler and IHS, voltage of the chip, how efficient this particular CPU is, total case airflow, how fresh the paste is, the application method used, IMC stress, degradation, and a thousand other factors.
It seems as if those factors all lined up in your favor!

Also, I am not surprised that you saw a decent temperature drop going from the stock CM paste, which is really quite bad, to ICDiamond, which is one of the better available pastes.

Be careful, though, as it is abrasive. Too many remounts and you will wear away the markings on your processor. This is important for warranty, especially if you have the Overclockers Insurance. If you don't, and don't care, then don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

It's not just the TIM, but likely a combination of factors including how much thermal paste, how much mating surface there is between the cooler and IHS, voltage of the chip, how efficient this particular CPU is, total case airflow, how fresh the paste is, the application method used, IMC stress, degradation, and a thousand other factors.
It seems as if those factors all lined up in your favor!

Also, I am not surprised that you saw a decent temperature drop going from the stock CM paste, which is really quite bad, to ICDiamond, which is one of the better available pastes.

Be careful, though, as it is abrasive. Too many remounts and you will wear away the markings on your processor. This is important for warranty, especially if you have the Overclockers Insurance. If you don't, and don't care, then don't worry about it.
That would make a lot of sense. I'm going to bet he hasn't let it cure yet too. Temps go up quite a bit after TIM has cured.

I actually reapplied my IC Diamond yesterday after realizing it has a special application and got a good 5C drop in temps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts