Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Assuming it all makes it out to a production level, but.. have a look:

And yes, she's big:

Stated to be focused on "extreme performance", not accoustics. Finally, some sensible people! Pricing to be around the $130-150, which is alright for me, performance-to-price wise.
Currently for TR4/X sockets, full compatibility range (2011/66, AM4, et al) come launch.
My Mercury S8 is ready.

More info here: https://www.icegiantcooling.com/prosiphonelite

Linus already has a video on it:

And this from Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/icegiant-prototype-thermosiphon-cooler

[Update, 01/16/20] PCWorld coverage:

[Update, 02/07/20] KitGuru coverage:

[Update, 04/24/20] Kitguru 'revisit':

This is promising because it's something new (well, in the PC air cooling market specifically), because we've really hit a limit with traditional air coolers, because whatever the solution i'd still want reliability and longevity, and because assuming performance and pricing won't be too far off from what's showcased? It's something that other manufacturers could follow up on, with all that entails, competition driving innovation and advancement.

-- am not promoting, am not advising for pre-orders. I'll wait for reviews of the final product, assuming it does come out. Just happy a well-known tech is finally been applied to our corner of the market --

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way the irony's not lost on me, actually linking a Linus Tech Tips video, in a post i've made.. yeah, i know..

Thing is, some time back i was looking at a specific unit from Noctua's custom designs and was thinking how nice it would be if anyone went that way but commercially, air, two/three fans in a row, 90 degrees turn on the mounting. Niche due to the crap they sell for "PC cases" today, wouldn't fit most of them, but for those that had the space and intake.. and now not only is there someone actually intent on introducing just that, they're actually doing it with an application we know has legs, but for reasons mainly related to greed no one had bothered with; not really, not yet anyway.
Could be something.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
That is impressive. I wonder if its using Doyll's oscillating heatpipes? It's not outrageously expensive either.

Would it only work well on large die HEDT CPU's?

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it only work well on large die HEDT CPU's?
Principle's the same, so i cannot think how it'd be limited to them. Assuming all else was equal, surface is a major factor in dissipation, but a universal one, applying everywhere.
Not exactly my forte thermodynamics, but, they do seem to think likewise, they've mentioned all sockets will be supported come launch.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
When you look at Tom's test with the fans at 50% you can see there isn't much difference between the noctua and the ice-giant.

·
Meep
5,594 Posts
It's an interesting product for sure, first of its kind that actually seems to have potential to be better than the current high end air coolers.

The increased fin density on the production version is a bit concerning tho, I really hope that doesn't kill low rpm performance.

·
Have you seen my Baseball
864 Posts
Looks pretty awesome. A horizontal mount case would be a must. And only $150, I'd consider this if it performs.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
with the fans at 50% you can see there isn't much difference between the noctua and the ice-giant.
This is a product that is advertised as "focused on extreme performance, not acoustics".
This is a product that will be shipping with Delta fans. Or at the least, is currently mounted with.

And you post to inform us about how it performs at half of its potential. I mean sure, i'm certain it will perform even worse at 20%, but way i see it, if it matches the 'Performance King' at barely 50%, why, we might be on to something, who knows!
Was there a point in your post that i'm missing?

The increased fin density on the production version is a bit concerning tho, I really hope that doesn't kill low rpm performance.
Almost certain it will affect it, yeah; but again, not their audience. For what they advertise it as, it's a welcome move, obvious reasons.

A horizontal mount case would be a must
Or a Silverstone chassis (the CPU stand), or even a self-made one. Be it with 3d printing, a dremel in the back yard, or even a trip to a CnC shop.
An extra step for most, granted, but then again, if they were fine with GPU sag? And if they weren't, solutions existed. Well, until recently sadly. Am not trying to be picky/snobbish either, i just honestly never understood how folks felt fine wasting 4 or even 5digit numbers on a single build, but had no issue housing it on a $150ish plastic piece of 'case'.
Again no offense, kudos if it worked for them, to each their own; but if i can now have my toys please, i for one did invest where it matters.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
oh dear did you forget to take your lithium this morning.

They are going to supply fans based on fan speed, noise level and airflow.

those delta fans make a lot of noise and there is only 4C difference in temps between the ice giant and the noctua.

its ******* massive to the point to too big.

the delta fans at 50% are as loud as the noctua's at 100%.

so its more expensive, way way bigger, much louder and only 4C cooler which makes bugger all difference.

so why are you getting your pants in a twist?

This is a product that is advertised as "focused on extreme performance, not acoustics".
This is a product that will be shipping with Delta fans. Or at the least, is currently mounted with.

And you post to inform us about how it performs at half of its potential. I mean sure, i'm certain it will perform even worse at 20%, but way i see it, if it matches the 'Performance King' at barely 50%, why, we might be on to something, who knows!
Was there a point in your post that i'm missing?

·
Premium Member
27,873 Posts
Quick glance; pics are not of same cooler / same condenser size as in dimensional drawings are. Seems there is quite a difference between 2019 & 2020 models. ;)
2020 looks almost the same as Captherm MP-1140 shown at CES 2015
https://www.legitreviews.com/ces-2015-captherm_157114

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Linus told in theory it could last 10 lifetimes, so in 2900 we can give this as inheritance to our descendants, now that is futureproofing.

·
1689 Federalist
11,745 Posts
Quick glance; pics are not of same cooler / same condenser size as in dimensional drawings are. Seems there is a huge difference between 2019 & 2020 models. ;)

The pictures are from tht prototype, which is what is shown in the video. But he says production is going to me much thinner. Which is what the drawings look to be.

You should check out the video.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Once again, Linus with the click bait title... *sigh*.. please share another creators video when possible.

One of the bigger issues with these high TDP CPU's is getting the heat off of the die, not the cooling fin stack.

The thermal transfer at the chip is where the limitation of both air and water coolers is often met.

Notice how they compare this thing against a single fan, single fin stack NH-U14 and not a NH-D15 with two IPPC 3000 rpm fans.

Very interesting product.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Once again, Linus with the click bait title... *sigh*.. please share another creators video when possible.

One of the bigger issues with these high TDP CPU's is getting the heat off of the die, not the cooling fin stack.

The thermal transfer at the chip is where the limitation of both air and water coolers is often met.

Notice how they compare this thing against a single fan, single fin stack NH-U14 and not a NH-D15 with two IPPC 3000 rpm fans.

I was about to say the same. Test was compare to small Noctua cooler that is not even on par with performance of big guys.
Btw. this thing is absolutely hideous:)

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Once again, Linus with the click bait title... *sigh*.. please share another creators video when possible
Before playing it smart, did you read? I mean really read?
Thus far, it's been covered by two media outlets; they're both represented here, as is fair.
I'm the first to pinpoint the irony of "my linking a Linus Tech Tips video in one of my posts", thereby hinting at everything a clueless person needs be aware of.
Until recently, we had no clueless people around here. Or at the least, we didn't primarily focus on them. Perhaps you represent a change.

As to the rest:
- doyll has already been answered, but yeah; i link the final designs, but also post current pics (from Tom's) because the current version is all we have to go by. Mentioned in both the video and the URL links.
- the tricycle man (he knows who he is), needs to finally learn how to ride a proper bike, or stick to his "AIOs are best" threads.
- Regarding performance, the testing thereof or the correct methodology/validity of the results, i will once again (surprise) repeat myself, as it's all mentioned in the very OP:

i) It is new (not generally, new as in within our market). That's a good start; we have better tech, but no one's been implementing it. Yet.
ii) It is promising, or at the least appears to have something to offer. It doesn't have to be 'bestest', it has to be competitive. That's the drive for improvement.
iii) It is purported, purported (hence my saying in the OP wait for the final sample), to offer performance improvements much higher than what we're accustomed to (a certain someone playing it smart mentioned a non-flagship Noctua cooler, but "neglected" to mention how i) it's a TR4 platofrm so that's the biggest Noctua has, ii) how the Thermosiphon fared against a revised, TR4-plated 360 Phoenix).

I will remind that for air cooling, improvements are at best measured in single degrees Celsius.

Ergo? I made the post.
Please refrain from teaching me how to be cynical. Lord knows i've beaten you all to it. Read first, think afterwards. Post last.

·
Professional Lurker
25 Posts
The comments about hair-dryer Delta fans don't hold up as their spec sheet states the 2x 120mm fans are run at 1175~2200 RPM, and I would consider that on about the same level as a Gentle Typhoon 2150; audible, but not screaming like a banshee. According to Tom's testing, at 50% PWM (2x 120mm, 1300 RPM) it was 1.3dBA quieter than the NH-U14S at 100% PWM (1x 140mm, 1500 RPM), but it was 1.3c warmer (70.7c vs 72.0c).

My thoughts:
-I would be disappointed if that aluminum coldplate made it to the final revision, because I think liquid metal would do wonders for this when you really pump the heat
-The purported fin density increase on the final revision may mean that faster (ergo, louder) fans than the 2200RPM Deltas would be required to make the most out of it
-Reduced fin depth does not significantly improve the case compatibility, as it is still about 250mm wide and will interfere with RAM and other components
-While using fans in parallel as opposed to serial gives you a lot more surface area and airflow to work with compared to a regular dual-tower, it also means that virtually every off-the-shelf case has a less-than-deal airflow configuration for this heatsink due to the vertical orientation (relative to the motherboard socket). Rotating it 90 degrees to have proper front-to-back airflow is not possible either as that would cause all sorts of case and PCIe slot issues.

It's not a total flop and is an interesting proof of concept but I'm left wanting more performance for it to be disruptive in this stagnant cooling market. The price is expensive for an air-cooler but cheap compared to going liquid, but I only see this working to its full potential in a bespoke case that lets it have unobstructed airflow.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
or... call me crazy, but what if we bolted this to the chassis in the big open area on top, and used, say, some liquid-filled tubes and a pump to transport the heat from the CPU off to the big old fin stack at the top of the chassis?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
For all the mass of the cooler and the "fancy technology" it isn't that much cooler than a a single fan NH-U14 in tom's results or the arctic 50 in linus's at max rpm.

Be interesting to compare coolers with the same fans.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts