Overclock.net banner

IceGiant ProSiphon Elite

45293 310
Assuming it all makes it out to a production level, but.. have a look:

And yes, she's big:

Stated to be focused on "extreme performance", not accoustics. Finally, some sensible people! Pricing to be around the $130-150, which is alright for me, performance-to-price wise.
Currently for TR4/X sockets, full compatibility range (2011/66, AM4, et al) come launch.
My Mercury S8 is ready.

More info here: https://www.icegiantcooling.com/prosiphonelite

Linus already has a video on it:

And this from Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/icegiant-prototype-thermosiphon-cooler

[Update, 01/16/20] PCWorld coverage:

[Update, 02/07/20] KitGuru coverage:

[Update, 04/24/20] Kitguru 'revisit':

This is promising because it's something new (well, in the PC air cooling market specifically), because we've really hit a limit with traditional air coolers, because whatever the solution i'd still want reliability and longevity, and because assuming performance and pricing won't be too far off from what's showcased? It's something that other manufacturers could follow up on, with all that entails, competition driving innovation and advancement.

-- am not promoting, am not advising for pre-orders. I'll wait for reviews of the final product, assuming it does come out. Just happy a well-known tech is finally been applied to our corner of the market --
41 - 60 of 311 Posts

·
Meep
5,578 Posts
This is nothing new. It's almost a perfect copy of Captherm MP-1240 Multiphase CPU cooler presented at CES 2015.
I was looking all over the place for those when this cooler was announced, couldn't find anything about them, almost thought I'd gone mad and they never existed :p

It does look like the IceGiant has a more advanced way of flowing the "coolant" than the Capterm, and is probably significantly cheaper to manufacture.

Whatever happened to Captherm Doyll? Their domain name is up for sale. It sounds like they had a product almost ready to release? Was the performance just not there?
I think the performance was probably alright, if I had to speculate it think its cost that killed it. It looks really expensive to manufacture and the only price I can seem to find on it was $250 for the 120mm version, which is absurd if true.

·
Premium Member
28,342 Posts

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
This is nothing new. It's almost a perfect copy of Captherm MP-1240 Multiphase CPU cooler presented at CES 2015.

https://www.legitreviews.com/ces-2015-captherm_157114
single fan model MP-1120 rated 275w TDP an two fan MP-1240 rated 325w TDP.
Corsair should shut that down for branding infringement :p

more seriously.. I assume this is failing to catch on time and time again because its niche & 50% more expensive?

·
Meep
5,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,342 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,342 Posts
I think peeps have determined that the working fluid in that prototype is highly toxic.
Gotta love ciarlatsano's post. :thumb:

What exactly is in the coolant they are saying is "highly toxic"? Is it any more toxic than marshmellow chicks?

• Rep+
Reactions: Falkentyne

·
Premium Member
28,342 Posts
Raijintek doesn't indicate what the working fluid is, someone speculated on a working fluid and the one they guessed was highly toxic.
So someone's 'speculation' you take as fact and post it. :rolleyes:
I thought you were smarter then to post s speculation as if it was a fact.

·
Fix it till its broke
1,400 Posts
Is it not just a drop of water in each pipe?

·
Premium Member
28,342 Posts
Well then what is the magical working fluid they're using? Raijintek doesn't mention it and you have to wonder WHY.
How many cooler manufacturers can you name who tell you what coolant is used in their systems?

isn't refrigerant typically toxic?
Heck, sugar is toxic if you take too much.

Yes, in heatpipes. But the cooler we are talking about was radiator and waterblock.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
idk, i'm confused. I thought they were referencing one of the pumpless phase change concepts' fluid.

a standard heat pipe is "water' yes.

How many cooler manufacturers can you name who tell you what coolant is used in their systems?

Heck, sugar is toxic if you take too much.

Yes, in heatpipes. But the cooler we are talking about was radiator and waterblock.
in the state of California, Water & Air are known to cause cancer. Please be warned before dining in our establishment - this sign IS NOT NEW in any shape or form in cali. it's been nuts there forever, it's just now starting to hit critical mass.

·
Fix it till its broke
1,400 Posts
:eek:

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
7,000 Posts
If they slim it they should just make it a Dual tower.

·
Banned
5,111 Posts
in the state of California, Water & Air are known to cause cancer. Please be warned before dining in our establishment - this sign IS NOT NEW in any shape or form in cali. it's been nuts there forever, it's just now starting to hit critical mass.[/QUOTE]

Cali is an insane asylum of high taxes, increasing crime, gridlock and pollution. Did you know its completely LEGAL to defecate and urinate in public on the streets of San Francisco?

41 - 60 of 311 Posts