1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Programmer
29,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
The boost is not possible with normal 7970s tho.

·
Programmer
29,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am just presenting what I've found. Maybe this bios is the real deal?

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

It's not?

I would've figured that is a software control, not a hardware one...
headscratch.gif

·
Iconoclast
33,752 Posts
There is apparently an "improved" current sensor that powertune uses on the GHz Edition, but other than that and some possible binning, the cards are physically identical and should be able to use eachother's BIOSes without issue. Boost is apparently possible on the old cards as well, not that it would matter to most OCers.

Shouldn't need any specially leaked BIOS, just any BIOS from any 7970 GHz Edition that is from a card with the same PCB.

·
Premium Member
22,581 Posts
This just in: Any overclocking software turns your 7970 into a GHz Edition!

But seriously... I'm interested in the dynamic overclocking.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
i would be wary of this as he says the ghz edition has different sensors for powertune.....when there are no sensors for powertune....DTE is what controls powertune and is merely an algorithm that takes temp, voltage, fan speed and core clock all into account....not some sensor. Also, the newest powertune DTE is included in 12.7 and beyond and works with old cards (this is from AMDs mouth).

So who is going to be the guinea pig?

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

Quote:

It's not?

I would've figured that is a software control, not a hardware one...
headscratch.gif
It's probably some kind of if this bios string matches this string then unlock dynamic OC.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

There is apparently an "improved" current sensor that powertune uses on the GHz Edition, but other than that and some possible binning, the cards are physically identical and should be able to use eachother's BIOSes without issue. Boost is apparently possible on the old cards as well, not that it would matter to most OCers.
Shouldn't need any specially leaked BIOS, just any BIOS from any 7970 GHz Edition that is from a card with the same PCB.
Just ripping a bios from a ghz edition and putting it on a 7970 does not work. It has been tried by numerous websites (toms, anantech, etc.) when they review the ghz cards. that is why i am suspicious of this...doesn't seem like the guy even tried this as you would think he would post some screenies (i mean if you know how to put a bios on a 7970, then you should be smart enough to post some before and after)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama22 View Post

i would be wary of this as he says the ghz edition has different sensors for powertune.....when there are no sensors for powertune....DTE is what controls powertune and is merely an algorithm that takes temp, voltage, fan speed and core clock all into account....not some sensor. Also, the newest powertune DTE is included in 12.7 and beyond and works with old cards (this is from AMDs mouth).

So who is going to be the guinea pig?
Incorrect. There is physical silicon on the ASIC that handles PowerTune. Yes it uses digital thermal estimation, but that's a pretty heavy simplification of how PowerTune really functions--I can't say more than that.

·
PC Evangelist
48,733 Posts
What are the CCC limit of HD 7970 Ghz? If they are higher this could be a good option. HD 7970 Reference can only go 1125Mhz/1575Mhz

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

What are the CCC limit of HD 7970 Ghz? If they are higher this could be a good option. HD 7970 Reference can only go 1125Mhz/1575Mhz
1500/2000 for CCC on the GHz Edition.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

1500/2000 for CCC on the GHz Edition.
Sorry, am I reading this wrong?

·
Premium Member
22,581 Posts
Quote:

Those are just how high the slider in Catalyst goes. They're not guaranteed to be stable clocks.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post

Quote:

Those are just how high the slider in Catalyst goes. They're not guaranteed to be stable clocks.
I know. I thought that they only went 200MHz above stock tho

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracks View Post

Incorrect. There is physical silicon on the ASIC that handles PowerTune. Yes it uses digital thermal estimation, but that's a pretty heavy simplification of how PowerTune really functions--I can't say more than that.
well this is interesting. first i have heard of this from a reliable source (and the op was the first i heard from anywhere). I forget which forum (maybe xtremesystems) but Dave B. said a few times that everything down to the chip is exactly the same and when the question of PT was brought up, he made me believe that PT was completely algorithmic based with no hardware limits. So im guessing since the asic of the ghz is much lower and in a class of its own (through binning) that the powertune has a different effect than that on the standard 7970. thanks for this. o the mysteries of powertune lol

·
Banned
21,058 Posts
Quote:

well this is interesting. first i have heard of this from a reliable source (and the op was the first i heard from anywhere). I forget which forum (maybe xtremesystems) but Dave B. said a few times that everything down to the chip is exactly the same and when the question of PT was brought up, he made me believe that PT was completely algorithmic based with no hardware limits. So im guessing since the asic of the ghz is much lower and in a class of its own (through binning) that the powertune has a different effect than that on the standard 7970. thanks for this. o the mysteries of powertune lol
Reviewed GE samples were not much lower, that's the kicker.

·
Iconoclast
33,752 Posts
Aren't there OC utilities that bypass the CCC limits for the 7970?

I can't even consider using CCC for my 69xx cards because powertune throttles the crap out of them even with the +20% setting (+60% or higher would be needed based on my measurements), so I use MSI AB which lets me totally disable PowerTune and it's ability to throttle my cards, as well as exceed CCC limits. And contrary to some reports, this works fine even on the most recent drivers, as long as a few files and some registry entries from 12.2 or prior drivers are present.
Quote:

Just ripping a bios from a ghz edition and putting it on a 7970 does not work. It has been tried by numerous websites (toms, anantech, etc.) when they review the ghz cards.
Do you know of anyone who tried modding the drivers as well?
Quote:

that is why i am suspicious of this...doesn't seem like the guy even tried this as you would think he would post some screenies (i mean if you know how to put a bios on a 7970, then you should be smart enough to post some before and after)
Could simply be a modified BIOS and turbo may work, just not as efficiently, lacking all the information the updated ASIC.

I'd give it a shot, but I don't have a 7970.

Still, I suppose I could open up all the BIOSes in a hex editor and see where the differences lie.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.