Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend just bought this power supply.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221201

I have never heard of the brand and it concerns me a bit. I don't know anything about power supplies but he said this had a good review on the web and he needed one asap... He said it had a lifetime warranty and stuff but that warranty won't do him any good if this thing goes and takes other parts with it...

Anyone know if its going to cause him any issues and if I should push him to invest in a better PSU? He runs the same rig as me just has 2 HD5870's instead.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
craaaaaaaaap.

1 sec while I go get info (again... this unit was posted awhile back). Get me a close up of the label and I'll tell you why. They're hiding the maximum +12v output and displaing only the virtual rail limits to confuse consumers.

That model isn't even on their site: http://icute.com.tw/english/power.html

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
absolute crap

corsair, seasonic, thermaltake's toughpower, some BFG's, and some OCZ's are the most trusted brands. if you want a good reliable psu go with a toughpower or corsair. seasonic's are really good too.

i wouldnt trust any company that makes thier PSU's asthetically pleasing like LED's and blahblah as it oftentimes is a really cheap one.

and never buy rosewill i hear too many horror stories about rosewill psu's killing entire systems.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I found a thread that discussed a 450 watt one.. someone in that thread said anything but 700 should be Ok or something like that. I just don't want it to damage anything. It seems to handle his machine at full load so it has enough power so to speak. But he'd be pissed if it friend any parts.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
He better return it or trash it unless he wants his computer burned down let alone his house!

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
That PSU is absolute trash. I'll give it two months MAX before it dies and takes your friends components with it.....

I mean, seriously, who the hell would buy products branded "iCute"?!?!?!?

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liamo Luo View Post
Yeah I found a thread that discussed a 450 watt one.. someone in that thread said anything but 700 should be Ok or something like that. I just don't want it to damage anything. It seems to handle his machine at full load so it has enough power so to speak. But he'd be pissed if it friend any parts.
yeah it'll work..for like 2 weeks and then it'll die.

Quote:

Lol, I told him he should replace it with something like this?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164950
great buy. corsair psu's are OCN approved.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Thanks, going to push to get that one ordered. Should be able to return the iCute Will the new one support both graphics cards? As in 4 6pins?

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Quote:

OK Thanks, going to push to get that one ordered. Should be able to return the iCute Will the new one support both graphics cards? As in 4 6pins?
Yep, easily.

·
I heard you were dead...
8,475 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liamo Luo
View Post

Yes.

Click on "Resources." It has 4x 6+2 pin PCIe connectors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did you decide to go for a 750W PSU rather than the 850W that you were (and I am) currently looking at?

I'm running a Q6600, ATI 4890, 5x hdds, 1x blu-ray, 1x dvd, Physx, Promise RAID, 5 case fans (92mm to 200mm) and keep getting told I need at least 760W, preferably 800W.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
The people telling you have no idea what they're on about, a quality 550W would be more than enough for your system, on the upper end of what would run on a 400W.

People grossly overestimate power usage. Power supply quality is more important. And if they tell you incessantly that Corsair is the best, and if they recommend the Corsair TX750, then that shows that they have no idea about the current PSU market at all.

·
I heard you were dead...
8,475 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wibleh
View Post

How did you decide to go for a 750W PSU rather than the 850W that you were (and I am) currently looking at?

I'm running a Q6600, ATI 4890, 5x hdds, 1x blu-ray, 1x dvd, Physx, Promise RAID, 5 case fans (92mm to 200mm) and keep getting told I need at least 760W, preferably 800W.

The people who are telling you things are silly. Also, if you get the iCute 850w you will most likely not have a usable computer after a short period of time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

The people telling you have no idea what they're on about, a quality 550W would be more than enough for your system, on the upper end of what would run on a 400W.

People grossly overestimate power usage. Power supply quality is more important. And if they tell you incessantly that Corsair is the best, and if they recommend the Corsair TX750, then that shows that they have no idea about the current PSU market at all.

I recommend Corsair because they don't make any bad products, so if someone forgets the model number I recommend then they won't get something terrible by mistake. It's not that they're the best; it's just that they're consistently good.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Of course, so recommending Corsair works when giving advice to someone who will be purchasing on their own and doesn't know PSUs very well. But when someone comes on this forum we try to recommend the best bang for the buck, which Corsair is not always.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by srsparky32
View Post

absolute crap

corsair, seasonic, thermaltake's toughpower, some BFG's, and some OCZ's are the most trusted brands. if you want a good reliable psu go with a toughpower or corsair. seasonic's are really good too.

i wouldnt trust any company that makes thier PSU's asthetically pleasing like LED's and blahblah as it oftentimes is a really cheap one.

and never buy rosewill i hear too many horror stories about rosewill psu's killing entire systems.

+Antec

·
I heard you were dead...
8,475 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Of course, so recommending Corsair works when giving advice to someone who will be purchasing on their own and doesn't know PSUs very well. But when someone comes on this forum we try to recommend the best bang for the buck, which Corsair is not always.

That's true. Of course I got my TX650 on sale for $65 a year ago, and that's a very good deal.
You can get a good deal on almost anything as long as you're patient and you know where to look.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts