Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Artist
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best Bios to flash it to? I've only flashed my 5870, so this is really still new to me, but for some reason the card reads 9600 GSO 512 when its actuall 1GB of DDR3.

As seen Here.

What's the highest I can push it?

·
Artist
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would still like to flash it however, for the sake of knowing how to flash. Can a 9600GSO be flashed to a 9600 GT?

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Very hard to say, I've never heard of that being attempted before (especially with so few owners of the revised GSO like you have). I suppose trial and error is the best method here, huh?

·
Artist
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

Very hard to say, I've never heard of that being attempted before (especially with so few owners of the revised GSO like you have). I suppose trial and error is the best method here, huh?

I guess so Chunky rofl. The only difference I see is the GT has 64 shaders and the GSO has 48. Didn't really know if that would make a difference on the flash, and/or the performance of the card afterwards.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterAutomatic
View Post

I would still like to flash it however, for the sake of knowing how to flash. Can a 9600GSO be flashed to a 9600 GT?

No.

Anyway, flashing is easy, I usually flash with my highest 100% stable OC. That way I don't have to set it through drivers or OC programs.

Oh, another cool thing is that the original, real version of the 9600SGO, or 8800GS, is that it overclocked really high.

·
Overclocking
9,248 Posts
this is what I remember from owning a 9600GSO. Done some researched when I bought the ASUS 9600GSO 512MB for 39.99 (After MIR).

The 9600gso (G92) boards with 192-bit bus width & all memory chips solder on (meaning no blank memory solders) can be flashed into a 8800GTS and can be unlocked but with cards that blank spots for memory chips like my 9600GSO that has 128-bit could not be flashed. Same goes to 8800GS, 192-bit & all memory chips on the PCB = unlock to 8800GTS but ones with 128-bit = not unlockable

9600GT G94 (48-64 shaders) & 9600GSO G92 core (96 shaders). Do not flash it into the G94 because you will be losing shaders

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownm
View Post

9600GT G94 (48-64 shaders) while the 9600GSO G92 core (96 shaders). Do not flash it into the G94 because you will be losing shaders

Well there's our answer. Better off not doing it. And hey, with the G94 core, you'll get more efficient SLI scaling if you get a second (as a reference, 2 9600GTs can reach clear up into single-4850 territory after tweaking).

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
You cannot flash a 9600GSO to a 9600GT. The 9600GSO is really just an 8800GS, and is not a 9600 card, so no, flashing it to a 9600GT would not work at all.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

You cannot flash a 9600GSO to a 9600GT. The 9600GSO is really just an 8800GS, and is not a 9600 card, so no, flashing it to a 9600GT would not work at all.

Actually he has the one with the G94 core, which previously only existed in the 9600GT. It's not a re-brand, it's simply a cut-down 9600GT.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well there's our answer. Better off not doing it. And hey, with the G94 core, you'll get more efficient SLI scaling if you get a second (as a reference, 2 9600GTs can reach clear up into single-4850 territory after tweaking).

hmm. i would have thought GTX 260-area performance..

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha
View Post

hmm. i would have thought GTX 260-area performance..

Nah, not quite that much. With stock clocks, it's actually in the range of the 4770-4830. Now 2 GTS250s, that's serious muscle; iirc that will go right up against a single GTX275, if not a GTX285.

·
Overclocking
9,248 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Actually he has the one with the G94 core, which previously only existed in the 9600GT. It's not a re-brand, it's simply a cut-down 9600GT.

sorry you are right to. Some 9600GSO uses the G94 cores to which sucks IMO. It's been awhile since I've used a 9600GSO

·
Artist
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

View Post

Too late. Rofl! I just tried it. Then had to flash it back to the original Bios. Where were all these answers when we were talking before Chunky? lol. No one answered until the FAIL.

I'll just bench them and O.C. and test until the highest stable clock, then flash em. I had a really hard time flashing a couple 9800GTXs before, but this one went smoother. Even with the failed flash, I was still able to recoup and that's an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Its pretty cool in fact.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
So what happened, then? Did it stop working?

·
Artist
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

View Post

So what happened, then? Did it stop working?

YES!!! Then I had to put my 5870 I'm RMA'ing back in and use that for primary video, and re-flash. It was pretty funny. I never panicked. It was simple. I have 2 here, so one will still be my PhysX card, and one is going into a client's rig, but I want it oc'd to its highest stable oc.

Well my PhysX card will actually become my only card while I'm waiting on Newegg to refund me, so I may need a good oc too. At least to play Gears of War at a decent FPS.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Well at least you tried, and we know what'll happen if anyone else does.

·
Artist
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

View Post

Well at least you tried, and we know what'll happen if anyone else does.

Yup. It was a cool learning experience. Thanks allot Chunky

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Nah, not quite that much. With stock clocks, it's actually in the range of the 4770-4830. Now 2 GTS250s, that's serious muscle; iirc that will go right up against a single GTX275, if not a GTX285.

well considering two 8800GT's beat a GTX 280, i would damn well hope so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts